Thread: Headaches.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar

Headaches.

Alright, here's the story:

I started getting headaches about 1 month ago. The first time it acted up was during leg press; deep, heavy, and sweaty. I got up and it felt like my head was imploding. Next day, I start off with some incline BB press. Headaches again. To make a long story short, I kept getting these headaches on and off during exercise about 70% of the time. 2 weeks later, I decide in might be the Minocin (minocycline acne treatment) so I get off it and take 1 week off from the gym. The week I return, monday and tuesday's sessions go fine. Wednesday, hop on the leg press, and headaches come straight back. The next day (Thursday) I do push and no headaches. Then Friday (today), I go for my first set of pullups and headaches are right back with me.

On top of this, I get the headaches about 25% of the time I do any running/sports and get it about 50% of the time during a regular man's "nightly ritual".

So now I gotta ask, what the hell is wrong with me?
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

improper breathing possible?

maybe you tricked out your neck a bit, are your twisting or putting your neck in a bad position? I had a neck injury from a car accident and that gave me headaches like a mother****er.

LMAO @ "man's "nightly ritual"." That's something that should cure it!
    Last edited by Orange357; 06-11-2005 at 01:07 AM.
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Is it even possible to trick out your neck on the leg press? lol, I don't think that is the problem though I'll make sure to keep that in mind next session.

Breathing is fine, that's what I initially thought it was but perfect breathing didn't really help it much.

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Dammit. This sucks.

Okay, well, it seems to be blood pressure related. Go see a doc.

And yes, the nightly ritual usually clears it up for everybody. Yours kick in when, um, your blood is otherwise engaged and away from your brain. Maybe you have low blood pressure? You eat enough salt?

The nightly ritual just seems to cause the headaches to occur but played no role in curing them.

My doctor is an absolute idiot and will make me go through 28329 procedures before he even considers it to be related to blood pressure. If I took the test at one of those free pharmacy testers, would you be able to help me?

check your blood pressure at one of those pharmacy things mitch there is a guide there based on the reading to tell you if it is too low or 2 high.

I get migraines sometimes usually not from lifting though...mine are usually from stress.

i would definitely check the bp and also check with your doc...good luck bro headaches like that suck

blood pressure

Your blood pressure can fluctuate greatly throughout the day. You might have to check it periodically throughout the day to get an accurate measure of your general blood pressure.

I agree w. a previous post - you need to look at your breathing, straining, exercise form.

Yes, it is possible to strain your neck on leg press. You could also be putting stress on some point in your lower back, triggering a headache.

do you get dizzy or anything when you get the headaches? if you do that could inidcate high blood pressure...when i first got high blood pressure i used to get headaches...but also would get dizzy right before the headache.

I wouldn't say dizzy, but kinda "knocked out" in a sense. I'll try out my doc and see what he says.

http://www.baye.com/articles/safety_considerations.html Nito was kind enough to link me to this.

What I will be changing:
    - Leg Press is out of my routine
    - Neck warmups to be done every session
    - Keep mouth open during breathing
    - Focus on one spot during all exercises in order to reduce contraction of facial muscles
    - Grip as lightly as possible on exercises where grip doesn't play a key role
    - Take an advil 2 hours before every session (I did this once and it helped for sure)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    The nightly ritual just seems to cause the headaches to occur but played no role in curing them.

My doctor is an absolute idiot and will make me go through 28329 procedures before he even considers it to be related to blood pressure. If I took the test at one of those free pharmacy testers, would you be able to help me?
    Surely, there is more than one doctor in your town....
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Dammit. This sucks.

Okay, well, it seems to be blood pressure related. Go see a doc.

And yes, the nightly ritual usually clears it up for everybody. Yours kick in when, um, your blood is otherwise engaged and away from your brain. Maybe you have low blood pressure? You eat enough salt?
    Not enough salt can give you headaches? crazyess...I bet thats waht caused me Ive been a believer in not using salt as its give alot of people I know kidney stones and whatnot.
    My sig scared getfit.

Eating salt gives you kidney stones? I don't think so.

I find salt to be anabolic, and particularly helpful when cutting.

Crippler I had exactly the headaches you had, when I over exherted myself doing squats. I think it came from forcing too much blood through my brain or some ****, or overdoing something and ... well the body just gets ****ed up! What I did was take some baby aspirin every day, 81mg this helps the blood get flowing. I also stopped working out for a while and it went away and never came back. So dont worry bout it man, I wouldnt see a doc just take it easy for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    I started getting headaches about 1 month ago......To make a long story short, I kept getting these headaches on and off during exercise about 70% of the time.....On top of this, I get the headaches about 25% of the time I do any running/sports and get it about 50% of the time during a regular man's "nightly ritual".
    Cough, exertional, and sex headaches are related syndromes, all of which are triggered by rapid rises in intra-abdominal pressure. Elevation of intra-abdominal pressure is thought to increase intracranial pressure in your head......thus, a headache.

The far majority are benign, but any underlying problem should be ruled out...especially if you've never had headaches prior.

A gradual warm up period sometimes helps (if excercise-induced). Pre-exercise/sex/"nightly ritual" treatment with a stronger anti-inflammatory such as indomethacin is also helpful.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

"Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

"It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

I haven't gotten them in one week, so w00t to that.

Sometimes I can feel them coming, so I have to take the reps far slower.

I pulled my occipital nerve a few times, which caused some serious headache pain.