Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Define Ugly...

You're not a crackwhore ryu....just a whore!
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Quote Originally Posted by Sin
    I've always believed that NO human being in this world is ugly.
    go to UP.com. browse the pics, then come back and tell me if you feel the same way.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    I've always believed that NO human being in this world is ugly. Ugliness is mearly an opininion or a point of view taken from an individual. All humans are the same: we have 2 eyes, 2 ears, a mouth and a nose- unless something unnatural were to occur such as people who unfortunately were born with some defect, NOBODY in the world is ugly.
    With a worldview like that there must be no evil humans, there isn't any right or wrong, or any other quality which is subjective.

Now, living in the society of perfection that exists today, we may view some people to be more "attractive" than others or PREFER someone over someone else, but that does not make anybody "ugly".
    That would be a society of opinion. Humans are predisposed to judgement. In order to find someone "attractive" there must be a standard below which people may be "unattractive". Like any quality there usually exists a spectrum- some will qualify (in general) as "very attractive" and some as "very unattractive". We also have common synonyms for the two generalizations "beautiful" and "ugly". Who qualifies for which label is subjective, but denial about the existence of "ugly" is... umm.. denial.

It is obvious that from the messages sent through media in our society today portray healthy people to generally look better than overweight people, but this is something people can change for themselves.
    Are you saying that prior to modern media standards of beauty didn't center on the healthy and otherwise esthetically appealing to whatever standard was accepted at the time?

I've always followed that everybody looks different and some may look better to you than others, but nobody is ugly and calling someone that would just hurt.
    People are different and run the full spectrum of esthetic as well as personality appeal. Denying that some people are so far below the standard that they may generally be described as "ugly" only because it may hurt someone's feelings is rather absurd.
    Last edited by TwiloMike; 06-14-2005 at 09:53 AM.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Define Ugly

I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.

Novice WBB Member
    holy crap, wow lol , i didnt expect to start a whole debate session. First off, praetorian, i'll go check out the site :P
    Now, twilomike: Prior to modern media standards, healthy appearance actually wasn't such a big deal. i mean i'm sureeeee people woulda wanted skinny girls rather than fat pigs but i remember before.. now u guys are all gonna laugh.. but there was times where fat people were considered attractive........ because its showed they were wealthy w/e. ie/ Ancient Europe, China.

Also, when you look at pictures of people and u go "dam she's ugly" ur only comparing that person to a standard u've set for yourself. If ur REALLY think about it, that person is not ugggly so much that their an animal, just not... attractive. lol. OK seriously, i walk around with my friends and we'd be like "god she's ugly" and scan through yearbook and skip through the ugly people, but thats cause we've set a visual standard in our minds to judge this. Ugly is a word like "hate" and "love", its used so much that it distorts its real meaning. "i hate that car" "i love going there" words such as these are used too much in everyday language that its true meaning is now hidden. You don't go calling someone ugly cause they dont look good to u- i mean the if u mean the real meaning of ugly (so visually unappealing u cant loook at it). Blah w/e useless topic.

ugly/attractive means to me: sexual attractiveness.

this is influenced by actually TWO things. looks and confidance. confidance makes a plain girl hot (but not an ugly girl plain), and it makes a hot girl hotter. and no, ive got no clue how to spell confidence. (i think i just got it )

as far as 'inner' beauty' goes. most men do (and should imo) choose women on the basis of sexual attractiveness to them and then see what kind of person they are. eventually they find someone who has good personality too.

To paraphrase: Ugly is in the eye of the beholder.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    That convicted sex offender that was posted a while back.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    All humans are the same: we have 2 eyes, 2 ears, a mouth....
    Yes, we are all the same. Screw DNA, screw genetics... we're all equal!
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

well my mama said, "ugly is as ugly does..."
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Quote Originally Posted by dxiw
    I KNOW you are ugly because if your fat you lack self respect in the worst way and THATS a personality flaw. In addition, they're physically horrendous.
    I'm just curious about people with thyroid problems, and whether they are exempt from this statement.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AllUp
    I'm just curious about people with thyroid problems, and whether they are exempt from this statement.

No.

Obviously, if someone has a thyroid problem, it's because they are too ugly and their thyroid thought they weren't hot anymore and was like "Damn, this is UGLY, I'm leavin'" and then went bye-bye and left the metabolism all out of whack cause the metabolism wouldn't pay child support and was addicted to crack and er.r.r.rr222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

OMGz!11!1one!
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by largelegsbuthot
    I think that quote refers to someone who is some-what physically attractive in the first place.
    Have you never met a average looking person who had tremendous spirit and exhibited a form of natural kindness when you first met them or saw them?

I would pretty much agree with your statement a few years ago, but I've seen too much of "soda can man" personality to think that way now.

I really believe the old saying "watch how they treat others," especially if your in love with that person because when that fades, the next person they choose to shower their true personality on might be you.
    Here's the ****ed up thing: I'm avg.looking, don't make fun of those who don't deserve it, and almost ALL of the girls here are like the soda can man you refer to and that screws me for relationships here. There are some really good looking girls here but I can't stand their personalities. From what I hear, women always say they want guys like me, but WHERE ARE THEY? I think it's just some scam.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    No.

Obviously, if someone has a thyroid problem, it's because they are too ugly and their thyroid thought they weren't hot anymore and was like "Damn, this is UGLY, I'm leavin'" and then went bye-bye and left the metabolism all out of whack cause the metabolism wouldn't pay child support and was addicted to crack and er.r.r.rr222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222

this coming from the man who's ass didn't want to hang out with him no more.

don't be dissing folks with thyroid problems. it's a pretty steep hurdle to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield
    Here's the ****ed up thing: I'm avg.looking, don't make fun of those who don't deserve it, and almost ALL of the girls here are like the soda can man you refer to and that screws me for relationships here. There are some really good looking girls here but I can't stand their personalities. From what I hear, women always say they want guys like me, but WHERE ARE THEY? I think it's just some scam.

of course women want guys like you.

except cute and rich.

(that's a joke, btw)

Define Ugly

Janet Reno
    Michael Jackson
    Keith Richards
    Barbara Bush
    This Evangelist Tanny Faye wannabe lady
    Last edited by Guido; 01-16-2007 at 09:27 AM.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Yeah, that's a myth somebody put out there so we wouldn't go kill ourselves.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryska
    don't be dissing folks with thyroid problems. it's a pretty steep hurdle to overcome.
    I didn't. You know that, right?
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

of course, assface.

Banned
    Very true, very true. How is this for hypocrisy...I'm the one who started this thread and my boyfriend was a very BIG jerk about a year ago.

He may even be when I'm not around (though I'm positive he wouldn't throw things at people), but we get along really well, he's the greatest in my eyes, but I've known him for 10 years now and I always told myself I wouldn't go out with someone like him, now we've been dating for 4 months.

I don't know why.

I probably wouldn't date someone like you either because I would think you were too good for me.

A least my boyfriend and I are pretty good looking but lacking some major things equally. Honestly, I think some of this bad behaviour is from the big blackhole in our(my) character.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryska
    this coming from the man who's ass didn't want to hang out with him no more...
    bwhahaha sorry gyno, but this just ****ing cracked me up!!! hahahahhahaha im really laughing out loud here..

Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    Yeah, that's a myth somebody put out there so we wouldn't go kill ourselves.
    haha, yep.

I liked the line in Liar Liar when Jim Carey's son asks "Is beauty really found in the inside?" and Carey says "No, that's just something ugly people like to say."

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by BCC
    I can find something beautiful in nearly everything.

I see ugly more as pertaining to personality. A great looking person can easily become ugly to me after getting to know them or seeing how they treat others.
    Amen.

BCC is absolutely correct.

Many a times i have met physically attractive people who become repulsive (physically as well) to me just because of their personality, and vice versa. I know im not alone in this.

my .02