The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 82

Thread: Define Ugly...

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    667

    Define Ugly...

    I ponder this question after the "Lazy Fat People" thread.
    The majority of posters referred to fat people as being "ugly" as well.

    I must disagree with this, most of the time when I see obese people, I think; they are actually really pretty, it's a shame though that the first thing you see is that they are fat.

    I'm sure there are alot of ugly fat people, but that goes for skinny people as well.

    I'll go first, I'm really turned off by "meaness".
    I cannot stand people who intentionally go out of their way to make fun or hurt someone else (that includes animals) , especially because they don't know the person and don't care.

    I'll give you an example, about 3 years ago, I was set up on a blind date with a guy from my highschool, he was very popular so he literally had no personality. I'm assuming that he wanted to entertain me as he had nothing interesting to say so he told me he once saw *****(a Mormon girl who everyone teased by calling her a lesbian) walking home in the evening and he threw a pop can at her as he was driving by. He was actually smiling and laughing as he said this.

    That person is probably the ugliest person I know, and it makes me think there is no justice in this World knowing that right now there are probably 10 girls hanging off him. When I see him, I am so disgusted!!!!!!

    Now what about you?

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    ----------- J450n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,877
    Sure uglyness goes beyond physical looks alone, the kind you mention is skin deep. The uglyness that makes a fat person appear ugly obviously, almost always comes down to just the physical side, i.e double chins, overweight body etc.

    That person is probably the ugliest person I know, and it makes me think there is no justice in this World knowing that right now there are probably 10 girls hanging off him. When I see him, I am so disgusted!!!!!!
    It's the fickle old world we live in.
    Last edited by J450n; 06-12-2005 at 02:45 AM.
    I'm not moaning, i'm having an opinion.

  4. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    667
    True, but after I realized how small his intellect was, he just appeared less attractive, then when his awful personality showed through, it was like he had become a leper and I was becoming disgusted at his once beautiful features. So although it started with inner ugliness, it spread to his appearance, I generally find people who look like him less attractive "now".

  5. #4
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,843
    that's true..probably moreso for women when looking at men, because women are more emotionally driven when judging physical appearance...

    i think that pretty much any woman, no matter how ugly they are (based on society standards) has at least one redeeming physical feature. all it takes is for one man (or woman, in a swapped situation) to latch onto her personality, and he can take that one (or even two) feature and turn it into "the most beautiful woman in the world."
    _________________________

    5/3/1 Journal


    http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

  6. #5
    General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,475
    ug∑ly
    adj. ug∑li∑er, ug∑li∑est
    1- Displeasing to the eye; unsightly.
    a- Repulsive or offensive; objectionable: an ugly remark.

    That pretty much defines it for me in an objective sense. How I apply it and what qualifies for that description depends.

    I was also put off by a lot of the remarks in the Lazy Fat People thread.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by largelegsbuthot
    I'll give you an example, about 3 years ago, I was set up on a blind date with a guy from my highschool, he was very popular so he literally had no personality.
    I found this statement incredibly amusing coming from someone who doesn't like people making assumptions about others.

    Popular automatically = no personality?

  8. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by Drai's
    I found this statement incredibly amusing coming from someone who doesn't like people making assumptions about others.

    Popular automatically = no personality?
    So your saying that this person is interesting?
    He TOLD me he threw something at someone as he was driving by, someone he didn't even know, just made fun of from time to time. Wouldn't that make you ASSUME he has gotten away with this behaviour because he was socially spoiled for the first quarter of his life?

    I have never thought of doing something dumb like that, ever, there's no excuse for this kind of stupidity.
    Last edited by largelegsbuthot; 06-12-2005 at 01:50 PM.

  9. #8
    Senior Member RussianRocket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,357
    Rick James, Bitch!
    Milk is the best Supplement

    Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

  10. #9
    Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Pavilion
    Posts
    6,776
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianRocket
    Rick James, Bitch!
    I hate to break it to you, but this line is only funny when Dave Chappele says it.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

    "im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

    "had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

    "most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

    "We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

    "Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

  11. #10
    Where's all the 45s ?!?! Wierz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    468
    Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    I hate to break it to you, but this line is only funny when Dave Chappele says it.
    You're my new hero.

    Thank you.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

    "So basically you're asking us how not to be a whiner?" - Anthony (aka funniest mofo here)

    "Not to generalize, but most chicks put more emphasis on facial features instead of body. So if you're striking out, you're probably ugly." - Anthony (aka Funniest mofo here)

    "This isn't a gay bodybuilding forum???" - Mrelwooddowd

  12. #11
    Novice WBB Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    45
    I've always believed that NO human being in this world is ugly. Ugliness is mearly an opininion or a point of view taken from an individual. All humans are the same: we have 2 eyes, 2 ears, a mouth and a nose- unless something unnatural were to occur such as people who unfortunately were born with some defect, NOBODY in the world is ugly. Now, living in the society of perfection that exists today, we may view some people to be more "attractive" than others or PREFER someone over someone else, but that does not make anybody "ugly". It is obvious that from the messages sent through media in our society today portray healthy people to generally look better than overweight people, but this is something people can change for themselves. I've always followed that everybody looks different and some may look better to you than others, but nobody is ugly and calling someone that would just hurt.

  13. #12
    Banned Praetorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    7th level
    Posts
    5,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sin
    I've always believed that NO human being in this world is ugly.
    go to UP.com. browse the pics, then come back and tell me if you feel the same way.

  14. #13
    General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    6,475
    Quote Originally Posted by Sin
    I've always believed that NO human being in this world is ugly. Ugliness is mearly an opininion or a point of view taken from an individual. All humans are the same: we have 2 eyes, 2 ears, a mouth and a nose- unless something unnatural were to occur such as people who unfortunately were born with some defect, NOBODY in the world is ugly.
    With a worldview like that there must be no evil humans, there isn't any right or wrong, or any other quality which is subjective.

    Now, living in the society of perfection that exists today, we may view some people to be more "attractive" than others or PREFER someone over someone else, but that does not make anybody "ugly".
    That would be a society of opinion. Humans are predisposed to judgement. In order to find someone "attractive" there must be a standard below which people may be "unattractive". Like any quality there usually exists a spectrum- some will qualify (in general) as "very attractive" and some as "very unattractive". We also have common synonyms for the two generalizations "beautiful" and "ugly". Who qualifies for which label is subjective, but denial about the existence of "ugly" is... umm.. denial.

    It is obvious that from the messages sent through media in our society today portray healthy people to generally look better than overweight people, but this is something people can change for themselves.
    Are you saying that prior to modern media standards of beauty didn't center on the healthy and otherwise esthetically appealing to whatever standard was accepted at the time?

    I've always followed that everybody looks different and some may look better to you than others, but nobody is ugly and calling someone that would just hurt.
    People are different and run the full spectrum of esthetic as well as personality appeal. Denying that some people are so far below the standard that they may generally be described as "ugly" only because it may hurt someone's feelings is rather absurd.
    Last edited by TwiloMike; 06-14-2005 at 09:53 AM.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

  15. #14
    Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Pavilion
    Posts
    6,776
    Quote Originally Posted by Sin
    All humans are the same: we have 2 eyes, 2 ears, a mouth....
    Yes, we are all the same. Screw DNA, screw genetics... we're all equal!
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

    "im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

    "had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

    "most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

    "We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

    "Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

  16. #15
    Big Swinging Dick dxiw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    370
    I think you've blown stereotypes out of proportion... popular people have personalities too, they're just different because of the environment... when you say personality all you want is some guy who's gonna kiss your ass all day because he's a ****ing geek and never got any ass... and if your fat you are ugly.. I don't care about you as a person - I KNOW you are ugly because if your fat you lack self respect in the worst way and THATS a personality flaw. In addition, they're physically horrendous.


    In the end, you gotta look like Rick James, bitch.

    225lb @ 17% bodyfat, currently cutting
    Current lifts while cutting (all raw): bench 275x4, squat 365x8
    Estimated current maxes: 300 bench / 450 dead / 450 squat
    Competition / Gym PRs (from March 08)
    Bench: 325 raw / 385 loose shirt
    Deadlift: 450 raw ADFPF 04/26/08
    Squat: 405 raw

  17. #16
    Wannabebig Member gizmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    47
    define ugly?
    me
    Dont let the blood leave the guns and dont let the guns leave the blood.

    Post marathon June 'o4
    relaxed 9.2inches, pumped 10.2
    Post release May '05
    relaxed 12.2inches, pumped 13.8

  18. #17
    Hungry BCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dxiw
    I think you've blown stereotypes out of proportion... popular people have personalities too, they're just different because of the environment... when you say personality all you want is some guy who's gonna kiss your ass all day because he's a ****ing geek and never got any ass... and if your fat you are ugly.. I don't care about you as a person - I KNOW you are ugly because if your fat you lack self respect in the worst way and THATS a personality flaw. In addition, they're physically horrendous.


    In the end, you gotta look like Rick James, bitch.
    Wait, I just read this post. THAT'S ugly.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."


    In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

  19. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by dxiw
    I think you've blown stereotypes out of proportion... popular people have personalities too, they're just different because of the environment... when you say personality all you want is some guy who's gonna kiss your ass all day because he's a ****ing geek and never got any ass... and if your fat you are ugly.. I don't care about you as a person - I KNOW you are ugly because if your fat you lack self respect in the worst way and THATS a personality flaw. In addition, they're physically horrendous.


    In the end, you gotta look like Rick James, bitch.
    Yes, this must be true, if only I could want to be with someone who doesn't throw soda cans at people.

  20. #19
    Bad Monkey! Nights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    cowtown, alberta
    Posts
    1,730
    I really don't think she was saying that he had no personality because he was popular, or that he was mean because he was popular. What she was saying is that he, personally, had no personality that was worth having and gave an example of this. There are people that are popular just because they are really nice people and fun to be with. Then there's ones who are popular because the world is a bunch of idiots who support people that like to pick on and be mean to people who do not fit in.

    That said, my definition of ugly is much the same in personality sense. Someone that is mean spirit just to be such is disgusting to me. Same with stupidity. People like Jessica Simpson or Paris Hilton, I feel no attraction to, even if it is faked just to get people to watch the show. But at the same time, there is obviously beyond personality to be attracted to.

    Ugly is hard to describe. Being overweight doesn't necessarily mean ugly, nor does skinniness mean hotness. I've seen girls of the same height and weight, and one I love, the next would look like skelton. Its all about how you carry it and what looks right for you, I guess.

    I give up on describing this.
    LaLa

  21. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    87
    Quote Originally Posted by dxiw
    I think you've blown stereotypes out of proportion... popular people have personalities too, they're just different because of the environment... when you say personality all you want is some guy who's gonna kiss your ass all day because he's a ****ing geek and never got any ass... and if your fat you are ugly.. I don't care about you as a person - I KNOW you are ugly because if your fat you lack self respect in the worst way and THATS a personality flaw. In addition, they're physically horrendous.


    In the end, you gotta look like Rick James, bitch.
    lmao

    As mean as this, there's definitely a lot of truth in it. The only thing I disagree with is that without knowing the fat person, you don't know whether they have some kind of medical problem that's causing them to be fat, ie. on some type of drugs that cause weight gain, have thyroid problems, etc.

  22. #21
    Professional hobbit Focused70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Hobbiton, The Shire
    Posts
    7,811
    Quote Originally Posted by dxiw
    and if your fat you are ugly.. I don't care about you as a person - I KNOW you are ugly because if your fat you lack self respect in the worst way and THATS a personality flaw. In addition, they're physically horrendous.
    Quite frankly, that is your opinion, not to mention a horrible generalization.

    Some of my best friends are quite overweight; perhaps obese by this board's standards. That makes them neither ugly nor do they lack self-respect by any stretch of the imagination.

    Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah


    Food log

    The Focused Chronicles

  23. #22
    Just watch me ... Built's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,912
    Quote Originally Posted by dxiw
    ... if your fat you are ugly.. I don't care about you as a person - I KNOW you are ugly because if your fat you lack self respect in the worst way and THATS a personality flaw. In addition, they're physically horrendous.
    Well, that's certainly how I felt for about 20 years when I was struggling with my weight. It's bloody hard to feel attractive when you're fat.

    I surely was trying to lose it though. It just took me a while to figure it out.

  24. #23
    Cyber Playa AllUp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    In Uranus
    Posts
    1,398
    Quote Originally Posted by dxiw
    I KNOW you are ugly because if your fat you lack self respect in the worst way and THATS a personality flaw. In addition, they're physically horrendous.
    I'm just curious about people with thyroid problems, and whether they are exempt from this statement.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

    Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

  25. #24
    MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    FFFA Headquarters
    Posts
    11,468
    Quote Originally Posted by AllUp
    I'm just curious about people with thyroid problems, and whether they are exempt from this statement.

    No.

    Obviously, if someone has a thyroid problem, it's because they are too ugly and their thyroid thought they weren't hot anymore and was like "Damn, this is UGLY, I'm leavin'" and then went bye-bye and left the metabolism all out of whack cause the metabolism wouldn't pay child support and was addicted to crack and er.r.r.rr222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

    "All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

    "Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

    Pearls of Wisdom...


    Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

    Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

    And no COLON jokes, bastards!

  26. #25
    Party of "No." Tryska's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    23,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    No.

    Obviously, if someone has a thyroid problem, it's because they are too ugly and their thyroid thought they weren't hot anymore and was like "Damn, this is UGLY, I'm leavin'" and then went bye-bye and left the metabolism all out of whack cause the metabolism wouldn't pay child support and was addicted to crack and er.r.r.rr222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222

    this coming from the man who's ass didn't want to hang out with him no more.


    don't be dissing folks with thyroid problems. it's a pretty steep hurdle to overcome.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

    Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!


    Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •