Thread: Spotters who "spot" you too much!

Wannabebig Member

Spotters who "spot" you too much!

Long story short I asked a guy to spot me on bench, to give me a lift-off then WATCH me in case I couldn't get my last one or two. I was doing 225 which I normally get for 8, but wanted to try 10...so I wanted someone there just to be safe. The guy goes "going for your one rep max huh?" "Uhhh, no. I usually get this for 8." He just chuckles like he doesn't believe me. He helps me off and keeps his hands on the bar the entire time, basically squatting behind me and following my movement. He wasn't really lifting any weight, just moving with me! WTF. I wanted to scream "DON'T TOUCH THE BAR!" but I really hate talking during a set because it screws up my concentration. Although having him standing there also screwed me up...I racked the weight after 6 and walked away pissed. He goes "wow, I didn't think you'd get more than 3." F&*# you!

hahahahaahhaa, that's funny man.. Yeah, that sounds annoying as ****. I don't like when people spot touching the bar the whole time. I also don't like when they just yank the weight up as soon as I struggle a little bit.

I'm very particular about who I'll ask to spot. I always instruct them to not touch the bar at all unless I give them a signal to do so (nod the head or just say something).

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

exactly, i tell them the safety word is "Sh*T".

I never use a spotter for some of the reasons mentioned. Also, one dude was spotting me on the bench once time and he was standing right over my head and I almost got teabagged inthe forehead. Talk about loosing your concentration. I now use dumbbells for my benching so there is no need yet for a spotter until I get into the 100+lb dumbbells.

Quote Originally Posted by jostrichm
    Long story short I asked a guy to spot me on bench, to give me a lift-off then WATCH me in case I couldn't get my last one or two. I was doing 225 which I normally get for 8, but wanted to try 10...so I wanted someone there just to be safe. The guy goes "going for your one rep max huh?" "Uhhh, no. I usually get this for 8." He just chuckles like he doesn't believe me. He helps me off and keeps his hands on the bar the entire time, basically squatting behind me and following my movement. He wasn't really lifting any weight, just moving with me! WTF. I wanted to scream "DON'T TOUCH THE BAR!" but I really hate talking during a set because it screws up my concentration. Although having him standing there also screwed me up...I racked the weight after 6 and walked away pissed. He goes "wow, I didn't think you'd get more than 3." F&*# you!
    If you don't give them SPECIFIC instructions, then it's your fault. If I ever get a spotter, I tell them EXACTLY what to do. 99% of the time, they follow it to a T.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

The guy goes "going for your one rep max huh?" "Uhhh, no. I usually get this for 8." He just chuckles like he doesn't believe me.
    That means you're not big enough .

He helps me off and keeps his hands on the bar the entire time, basically squatting behind me and following my movement. He wasn't really lifting any weight, just moving with me! WTF. I wanted to scream "DON'T TOUCH THE BAR!" but I really hate talking during a set because it screws up my concentration.
    When getting someone new to spot you a) select one of the more "credible" looking guys in the gym, b) instruct him on exactly how you want to be spotted, and c) pray he's not a dumbass and actually listens to your instructions. Half the time the guy will still mess things up, but doing a) and b) improve your chances of getting a decent spot.

Banned
    Lol kevin yeah dude The safty word is usually Shi t or Fuc k!

Same here, I was guitly of this once and the guys like hey you gotta let me fight with it dont just yank it up when I have trouble. The next time I spotted him I was like ok, just say whenever your done if you dont get it.

Communication people communication

Just another arrogant ****. I'm blessed with good spotters
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

when you give the spotters instructions... what do you tell them?
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

I tell a spotter what I'm doing first off, how many reps, and if and when I want him to touch the bar.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by capn crunch
    that would depend on what you want, now wouldn't it?

spotting

Quote Originally Posted by capn crunch
    Before you start, tell them:
    1)when you want them to jump in ("Don't help unless I ask." "If the bar stops moving...", "If the bar speed slows significantly...", etc.)

2)How you want them to spot - for example, if they are spotting on DB presses, do you want them to grab your wrists, or spot at the elbows?

3)How much you want them to help - just enough to get through? enough to maintain momentum? help as much as possible?

Yup, a lifting partner solves all of these problems
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Lifting partners/spotters are like dogs. In your lifetime, you get one really good one, the rest aren't worth a damn.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Wannabebig Member
    Dam what a dick saying you couldn't lift the weight!