Thread: Computer hardware help!

the kid from oz

Computer hardware help!

i just built my friend a new system but we have some issues with what i believe is the power supply...
    the specs are as follows:
    amd64 3200+ Venice
    Foxconn MOBO
    1 gig kingston ram
    120gb sata hdd
    sparkle 6600gt pci-e vga card

whenever he plays a game the video card just turns off! usually within about 5 mins of the game loading... originally we had a 400w generic psu in the box, but the max output for the 12v connectors was only 15 amps and from what i have read it needs to be more than 20, so we put a 350w antec psu in there with a 21amp max output but it still happens
    we have tried different ram and a different cpu but it happens all the time
    can anyone tell me the problem? the motherboard has a 24pin connector for the psu but it can still take 20 pin atx psu's - which ours are, could this be the problem?

Perhaps video card fan is not spinning properly.....Why did you go with a Foxconn mobo anyways? :P
    And the PSU 24 pin should not be the problem either. Are you applying thermal grease to the CPU's and proper heatink placement?(Its pretty hard to mess that up these days).
    Check for simple things, like get the latest version of DirectX andall the latest video card drivers. Other then that I dont know.
    My sig scared getfit.

What do you mean the video card turns off? The PC is still functioning correctly, but there is no picture?

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

sounds like your **** is geting too hot...

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

the kid from oz
    Quote Originally Posted by aidano
    What do you mean the video card turns off? The PC is still functioning correctly, but there is no picture?
    yep exactly that, the monitor gets a no signal message and goes into standby but the pc is still running

as for everything else, i have checked it... i even tried it with a 24 pin psu, still does the same thing

Im thinking its direct X related or just a gimped video card.
    My sig scared getfit.

Weird..I'd expect your PC to crash if the card was overheating but you never know. Get a cheap replacement to test with. Sure it's not the monitor? It could be overheating too.
    Last edited by aidano; 06-14-2005 at 12:05 AM.

People wonder why I call myself Mr. T. One dude asked, 'does the T stand for tough?' I said no. Another dude asked if the T stands for my last name, Tureaud. No it does not. The 'T' in Mr. T stands for tuna. T loves tuna.

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    A 350watt 20 pin psu isn't a very good solution for the new a64 systems. The extra 4 pins, 3.3/5/12/common ground lines I believe are for the PCI-E slots so that might be your problem. Not all motherboards have the circuitry to run 20 pin psu's in 24 pin psu's. Try plugging in a ATX2.0 Psu and see if that solves the issue. If not try swapping the video card.
    w00t

Quote Originally Posted by GonePostal
    try swapping the video card.
    Video Swap FTW!
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

Totally agree with one of the people above

THE SYSTEM IS GETTING TO HOT!!!!!

Get a better fan, better Thermal Compound and make sure it's not sitting where it can't get any air.

Maybe even take the side off.

FYI I have 10+ years dealing professionally with PC and Server hardware. So this is an educated guess!!!
    Last edited by estropes; 06-14-2005 at 01:49 PM.

I hate video cards.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

One crazy MOFO/Mail man
    I love them
    w00t

I love them, running Nvidia 6800 go in this laptop
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

I have this happen when I'm trying to run a Direct X game on my Work laptop (I know, I'm going to hell). As others have said, its probably a Direct X problem.

Grasshoppa
    Quote Originally Posted by bigedge
    yep exactly that, the monitor gets a no signal message and goes into standby but the pc is still running

as for everything else, i have checked it... i even tried it with a 24 pin psu, still does the same thing
    Just because the PC is on does not mean it is functioning correctly. I've built many PCs with faulty CPUs, motherboards, or memory that powered on just fine, but were not functional.

And if you were gonna go with a PCI-E motherboard, I probably would have picked the MSI. Pretty good value board with a great featureset.
    Last edited by Shao-LiN; 06-14-2005 at 05:53 PM.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by Shao-LiN
    Just because the PC is on does not mean it is functioning correctly. I've built many PCs with faulty CPUs, motherboards, or memory that powered on just fine, but were not functional.

And if you were gonna go with a PCI-E motherboard, I probably would have picked the MSI. Pretty good value board with a great featureset.
    :withstupi
    My sig scared getfit.