Thread: Help - Need Routine for training woman - wife

Wannabebig Member

Help - Need Routine for training woman - wife

I know what you guys are probably going to say - "Find a good divorce lawyer first". Well, a few years ago that would have been the case but my wife is at the point now where she has asked me to help her. I have gained about 25 lbs in the last 2 years and am in the best shape of my life at 33.

She is 5'10", 37 years old, 170 lbs. She is a large frame, muscular woman, not to fat. She has worked out all of her life, but she would never eat right. Not enough protein, to much bread and pasta, and occasional junk food. I have asked her to eat better and she is trying to accomodate. She would like to harden (tone) up. She also has lower back problems so we can't do a lot of bent over exercises.

She has worked out for years, but intensity is a problem. She just won't push herself hard enough. She can usually do a number more (5) than when she says "i can't do anymore". That is why she wanted me to work w/her, she wants to be pushed.

I used the body for life workout initially to build and it worked great. I have since changed over to chest/back 1 night, shoulders/arms/ 1 night and legs/1 night.

I have been working her out three times a week w/ upper body 1 day, lower the next. I've been using 25-30 reps 1st set, and woking down as we add weight. Finish w/ 10-12.

I meet her at the gym every other day at lunch or 4 o'clock at they gym. She can handle a hard workout so i'm asking for a pretty advanced workout routine ideas.

Goals:
    Tone and firm body
    lose weight in middle section
    get rid of "fat pads" on her back, below shoulder blades, on the side

Thanks in adance,
    PP

she'll have to concentrate hard on her diet to achieve the results she wants

why 25-30 reps on one set?
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

diet is key

As everyone has said so far, diet is going to make or break her success and consequent motivation to continue this...

If you can afford it, I would STRONGLY suggest you get her a trainer rather than do it yourself... If it grows into a common hobby, then great, but there's a pretty big risk of your wife ending up hating you if you have to be the one to constantly nag her about eating right, eeking out one more rep, etc...

Get her abs strong now! It will most likely help her back pain pretty quickly and she'll notice that - it will be a big motivator! It won't help her lose flab in the area, but you don't have to tell HER that....

Wannabebig Member
    I still would like your opinions on a workout routine.
    split, cardio, etc...

have a look at WBB routines!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

The divorce thing is kinda harsh, theres no reason for that. Put the shoe on the other foot. Im in much the same situation except that its not my wife and the goals are alittle bit different. My friends wants to gain size and strength but he never trains right. I dont want to push him because hes my friend but I also dont want to see him fail either. I would suggest working on her diet first, since shes your wife you have a pretty good chance to control what she eats. Dont buy junk anymore, buy her fruits and veggies to snack on and stock up on good foods like chicken, lean beef, turkey, tuna, other fish, nuts, cottage cheese, and lowfat yogurt. Getting her diet right will be key, no ammount of cardio/working out will make up for a poor diet.

Wannabebig Member
    Dude, you're showing your age. The divorce thing is a joke. Any man that has ever tried to train/teach his spouse will probably say the same thing. It's kind of an inside joke.

Second, she 37. You think i can "control" her diet. You can't control anyone. She knows her diet sucks, she just doesn't want the body as bad as she wants the pizza.

Good luck on your goals

In all honesty if she doesn't keep track on what she eats- kiss training bye bye!

gain 50lbs-Anthony

mmm food... how happy i am i have the metabolism of a 17 year old

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    In all honesty if she doesn't keep track on what she eats- kiss training bye bye!
    Yep. She'll get stronger, but she won't be able to see any results.

IMO there's no "special" routine for females.

Exactly. I train the same as my husband. He outweighs me by 50 lbs and I can't QUITE lift as much as he does (although I still squat more LOL!) (he broke his leg really badly 6 months ago, I'll forgive him...) but we train the same.

A Simple but Effective Routine

Quote Originally Posted by ppowell
    I have been working her out three times a week w/ upper body 1 day, lower the next. I've been using 25-30 reps 1st set, and woking down as we add weight. Finish w/ 10-12.

I meet her at the gym every other day at lunch or 4 o'clock at they gym. She can handle a hard workout so i'm asking for a pretty advanced workout routine ideas.

Goals:
    Tone and firm body

Thanks in adance,
    PP
    Split her work in the following manner - this way, if she's working out 3x/wk, she won't be doing the same thing every week and is less likely to get bored. As far as sets/reps go, limit sessions to 4-5sets x 6-12reps, including warm-ups.
    Change the rep scheme and aerobic work from week to week.

#1: bench press, squat, lat pulldowns, abs
    #2: military press, cable rows, hyperextensions, side-bends, aerobic work
    #3: incline bench press, barbell curls, lunges, abs, aerobic work
    #4: good mornings, calf raises, tricep pushdowns, aerobic work

Dude, you're showing your age. The divorce thing is a joke. Any man that has ever tried to train/teach his spouse will probably say the same thing. It's kind of an inside joke.

Second, she 37. You think i can "control" her diet. You can't control anyone. She knows her diet sucks, she just doesn't want the body as bad as she wants the pizza.

Good luck on your goals
    @ the end of all this if she doesn't want the body as bad as the pizza why bother at all!

gain 50lbs-Anthony

on another note built is 41 and i'll be 38 trust me we've been put in alot of hard work (training-diet) to get where we are today!

gain 50lbs-Anthony

I know what you guys are probably going to say - "Find a good divorce lawyer first". Well, a few years ago that would have been the case but my wife is at the point now where she has asked me to help her. I have gained about 25 lbs in the last 2 years and am in the best shape of my life at 33.
    Are you sure she asked for your help, or are you suggesting you help?

She is 5'10", 37 years old, 170 lbs. She is a large frame, muscular woman, not to fat. She has worked out all of her life, but she would never eat right. Not enough protein, to much bread and pasta, and occasional junk food. I have asked her to eat better and she is trying to accomodate. She would like to harden (tone) up. She also has lower back problems so we can't do a lot of bent over exercises.
    She wants to get leaner? Thats primarily a function of diet. The workout routine is going to be any basic routine that she likes.
    She has worked out for years, but intensity is a problem. She just won't push herself hard enough. She can usually do a number more (5) than when she says "i can't do anymore". That is why she wanted me to work w/her, she wants to be pushed.
    Women tend to train like this (it all depends on the woman, of course), however, pushing to failure isn't necessary - progression is. More than likely, she isn't going to respond to 'pushing' like your buddies in the gym.
    I used the body for life workout initially to build and it worked great. I have since changed over to chest/back 1 night, shoulders/arms/ 1 night and legs/1 night.

I like upper/lower. I don't like the rep range, but again, the key is progression.

Goals:
    Tone and firm body

Thanks in adance,
    PP
    Bsed on this post, she needs a better diet, not a better training routine. why don't you suggest she join the forums, and she can discuss and learn for herself?
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 06-13-2005 at 01:09 PM.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    on another note built is 41 and i'll be 38 trust me we've been put in alot of hard work (training-diet) to get where we are today!
    He wasn't responding to you there - he was responding to WIBBIRL...

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    He wasn't responding to you there - he was responding to WIBBIRL...
    i just pointed out on our hard work that's all!

gain 50lbs-Anthony

If you cant stop eating pizza (etc), the other method is to compensate. Your wifes goals are basically to lose fat, while keeping/gaining a bit of muscle. So really you just have to associate a cardio cost to excess food.

Cake = 40 minute swimming.
    Pizza = 30-45 minutes cardio/HIIT.
    Get hammered = 30 minute morning run.

I dont count my calories, and at weekends I usually go totally overboard - but I'm still heading towards my goals, without giving up beer, curry, pizza etc.

As far as training, I'd suggest an upper/lower/cardio/upper/lower/rest/cardio type week. With food cheat cardio done in the morning.

After a week, give her some compliments on her ass. It works like magic for my motivation:-)
    Age 29 | Height: 5'11 | Weight: 176 lbs (a while ago) | Weight: 180 lbs (2-Nov-05) | Weight: 181 lbs (8-Nov-05)

Well, one thing to remember is that shes your wife. Id want her to lose the weight not just to have a nice ass (although it would be a plus). Her health would improve greatly. Just dont go overboard with her, Ive seen someone take his girlfriend to the gym and then tell her shes fat and tells her what to do down there. He sucks at training and she is so damn fine it makes me sick.

The compliment isnt because we're focusing on just getting a good ass, it's said to make her feel good about herself, so she feels the hard work is working. With that in place, she'll think twice about pizza when she remembers how good her ass is getting.
    Age 29 | Height: 5'11 | Weight: 176 lbs (a while ago) | Weight: 180 lbs (2-Nov-05) | Weight: 181 lbs (8-Nov-05)

Quote Originally Posted by IRN-BRU
    If you cant stop eating pizza (etc), the other method is to compensate. Your wifes goals are basically to lose fat, while keeping/gaining a bit of muscle. So really you just have to associate a cardio cost to excess food.

Cake = 40 minute swimming.
    Pizza = 30-45 minutes cardio/HIIT.
    Get hammered = 30 minute morning run.

I dont count my calories, and at weekends I usually go totally overboard - but I'm still heading towards my goals, without giving up beer, curry, pizza etc.

As far as training, I'd suggest an upper/lower/cardio/upper/lower/rest/cardio type week. With food cheat cardio done in the morning.

After a week, give her some compliments on her ass. It works like magic for my motivation:-)

even if she tries to compensate with cardio it's still not going to get her far!
    anyways it's up to her really if she wants it bad enough she'll change her diet

gain 50lbs-Anthony