Thread: spotter effecting benching?

spotter effecting benching?

hey guys i was just wondering if you have ever noticed that you cant bench as much if you dont have a spotter, for instance the other day i was benching 175 and i only did it 5 times but thats all i could do and i didnt have a spotter but when i do have a spotter i can do it around 10 times. do you think its just my body subconsously making myself stop before i drop it on myself or am i getting weaker or something( havent benched with a spotter for about a month now)

Quote Originally Posted by Ace7644
    hey guys i was just wondering if you have ever noticed that you cant bench as much if you dont have a spotter, for instance the other day i was benching 175 and i only did it 5 times but thats all i could do and i didnt have a spotter but when i do have a spotter i can do it around 10 times. do you think its just my body subconsously making myself stop before i drop it on myself or am i getting weaker or something( havent benched with a spotter for about a month now)
    Could be one of three things IMHO:

#1: Psychologically you just feel safer and more secure with the presence of a spotter and this allows you to focus on the task at hand better.

#2: Your spotter helps you unrack the weight, resulting in you expending less energy on setting up for your work set.

#3: Your spotter HELPS you with your reps and then tells you he/she was "only barely touching the bar".

btw, "effect" is a noun. "Affect" is a verb.
    Last edited by Sensei; 06-13-2005 at 11:41 PM.

no my spotter never touches the bar and if he does its pretty obvious becuase hes a bad spotter that just pulls the bar up when i strugle, and he dosent pull it off the rack either, its gotta be in my head then, and about the effect affect thing i mess that up all the time as do about 90% of all the other people i know, my bad

thats wierd, i've never had a spotter. I get 150 lbs stuck on myself quite often actually. I have to roll it down my stomach, but if you flex your stomach it doesn't hurt that bad.

You serious? That sounds likea bad idea to me, but it's hillarious. Hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    btw, "effect" is a noun. "Affect" is a verb.
    LOL, no.

Effect is a noun and a verb. Affect is a noun and a verb. They have different meanings.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Thats a very bad idea haha. Having a spotter just lets you know that your odds of dropping the weight and killing yourself are less which makes me feel a good deal better, but thats just me.

also if you screw up it can just as easily roll onto your neck.

naaaw its a way to tuffen me up a little bit
    I don't try to get it stuck on myself, its just that I lift at home so I don't have a spotter. sometimes I'm like I can do it one more time!! *halfway there* "oh ****" by the way its pretty easy to roll it away from your neck.
    Last edited by need4muscle; 06-14-2005 at 09:49 AM.

Banned
    Wait are you juiceing? and you only got 175 10 times?

no thats the cycle im gonna be doin in a year or so i wanna get my weight up a little more im like 195 now and also ill be 21 then, and yeah i know my bench sucks ass i just have a hard time progressing my bench for some reason and i dont know y.
    Last edited by Ace7644; 06-14-2005 at 10:56 AM.

Banned
    I was gonna say...

yeah my numbers are just terriable ive been working out for like 3 years now and i just platue way too much, ill move up 5 or 10 pounds here and there and then im stuck for a month or more right now my numbers are
    bench- 225
    squat-285X5 (never maxed)
    deadlift-345
    ive been here for about a month and a half now

I do reap beneiftis from spotting, although he screws me up when I max because he insists on having his hands on the bar and to be honest the weight goes up way to easy to be all me.