The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Heavy Lifting while cutting?

Since I started monitoring my calories and going on an offical cut diet, I noticed I'm feel my workouts alot more. This could either be the lack of calories, or that I switched to more intense lifting in the past 2 weeks. Went from doing 3x10-12 to 3x8 or so with significantly more weight, and added squats to my exercise routine. The squats are KILLING me. Its been 3 days now and my legs are still sore as hell. I've having trouble walking around at work my thighs are so tight. Maybe I need to back off the weight on the squats. Started with 2 45 plates on each side, 3 sets of 10.

Basically, I've been pushing my lifts harder than ever, moving more weight, but I'm on a calorie deficit. Is there any reason to push this hard or am I just making myself sore for nothing? I've never felt sore past the first 4 weeks of lifting almost a year ago. Its like being a newb all over again. My triceps/back/biceps/abs/thighs are all sore as hell as I type this.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

There is no real reason to lower your intensity during weights while on a cut. However, if your cut is effective, it's very possible you will lose some strength and MAY have to cut down some.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Keep the intensity high and the weights heavy. I find this is the best way to maintain/gain strength while cutting.

The soreness won't be so bad after a few weeks.

Coffee is your friend on a cut. Drink some coffee or take some caffeine somehow before your workout and lift as heavy as you possibly can. When cutting it is easy to lose strength. You got to give it everything you have.

And yea I agree the soreness will slowly get better.

Doesn't coffee raise cortisol levels? Which would be bad as far as muscle building/fat loss goes.. ??? I could be wrong

Taking an EC stack, along with glutamine and creatine.

I've heard this, but I know that caffeine will give you extra energy to train (and I'm pretty sure caffeine mobilizes fat stores). I take caffeine (and right now, ephedrine) before all workouts.

I just do pills, though. I hate coffee.

That's too much volume to be cutting with most likely.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal
    Since I started monitoring my calories and going on an offical cut diet, I noticed I'm feel my workouts alot more. This could either be the lack of calories, or that I switched to more intense lifting in the past 2 weeks.
    Any change in your routine is likely going to lead to some DOMS. A caloric deficit won't help things. Each workout should result in less DOMS. Keep lifting heavy; maintaining strength (as best you can anyway) is crucial on a cut.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabelean
    Doesn't coffee raise cortisol levels? Which would be bad as far as muscle building/fat loss goes.. ??? I could be wrong
    Yes it does raise cortisol levels.

But the question is, do positive effects of coffee outweight the negative ones? I'm not sure to be honest.

I do know that the increased energy is definitely a plus, especially when on a low calorie diet. And like Built said, I think it helps mobilize fat stores? I really don't know, I just know it helps me with appetite control and gives me energy. I'm sure it has some effect on metabolism too, maybe it raises it a little, again I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal
    My triceps/back/biceps/abs/thighs are all sore as hell as I type this.
    Enjoy it! Lift hard! That's the best advice I can give you.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Anything wrong with taking a painkiller to help me get around during the day at work? My legs are killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    I've heard this, but I know that caffeine will give you extra energy to train (and I'm pretty sure caffeine mobilizes fat stores). I take caffeine (and right now, ephedrine) before all workouts.

I just do pills, though. I hate coffee.
    in a previous post you said you take creatine as a daily supp... doesn't caffeine cancel out the creatine... being caffeine is a dye-a-ret-ic (lol sp?) and creating retains water?
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

I don't see how. Just means you need more water intake. I drink atleast 6 liters of water a day. Its not even 1 here and I've drank alteast 4 liters, not including all the tea I've drank.

I think lifting heavy while cutting is a great thing, Just try to load carbs 45minutes-an hour before workout, maybe half a cup of rolled oats in a pre workout shake?
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

I've been just doing creatine/whey post workout. No carbs. Trying to figure out how/what carbs to fit into a post workout shake. Just some oats or should I look into getting some dextrose/etc to add in? If so, how much do I add and what am I looking at calorie wise?

I'm still fiddling with this myself.

I'm doing slow carb with protein about an hour before I lift, and again right after. I've ditched dex for post workout during my cut because it was just to many calories that I'd rather chew.

Insulin carries protein to your muscles. Post workout shake you want that protein to your muscles as quickly as possible. Atleast me thinks. Correct me if im wrong guys.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Then again, past 3-4 days I've been 1700-1900 calories so I could probably use a few extra considering I've been keeping my cardio up also. Lifted hard back/biceps then ran a mile and half on 1800 calories yesterday. Also went for a morning swim at 5 in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by XxH0LyWaRsxX
    Insulin carries protein to your muscles. Post workout shake you want that protein to your muscles as quickly as possible. Atleast me thinks. Correct me if im wrong guys.
    It's less important than you think. Low or high GI is fine.

Quite frankly, as unhealthy as trying to become very muscular is in the first place, I can't rationalize eating pure sugar...ever. I also like to chew as many calories as possible.

The beauty of dex/malto is in how quickly it clears your system, in my opinion. Without the post workout insulin spike, I make sure I keep a trickle of insulin going with the pre and post workout slower carbs.

At least, that's what I think is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Drai's
    Quite frankly, as unhealthy as trying to become very muscular is in the first place, I can't rationalize eating pure sugar...ever. I also like to chew as many calories as possible.
    We are mostly bodybuilders here not health nuts
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

Quote Originally Posted by XxH0LyWaRsxX
    We are mostly bodybuilders here not health nuts
    Yes, and I implied that I could fall into that category by saying that I was "trying to become very muscular". There's nothing healthy about being 5'11 230 10% but I'm still trying to get there. There's also nothing healthy about eating pure sugar...but there ARE alternatives here.