Thread: Lower Body Helping Upper Body

Wannabebig Member

Lower Body Helping Upper Body

i was told by a friend i focus on my upper body too much, he said thats the reason why i have such a high waist line he then told me working on your lower body helps your upper body grow, is this true? Thanks in Advance

Yes, 100% true.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Lower Body Work

You may be wondering, "Just exactly how do squats promote growth throughout the body?" To begin with, the squat involves multiple joints and muscles which in turn increase the level at which the nervous system must coordinate movement in conjunction with the lifter's muscle-skeletal system. In the squat there are numerous muscles of the body working simultaneously to provide the stability and mobility needed for this exercise. It has been estimated that there are up to 200 muscles involved in the squat.

The hormonal or endocrine system combined with the nervous system makes up what is known as "neuroendocrinology". This term describes the relationship of chemical substances that have both neural and hormonal functions. The endocrine glands are stimulated to release hormones by a chemical signal received by the receptors on the gland or by neural stimulation, which is what occurs during weight training. Ever wonder why you feel particularly upbeat and euphoric after a hard workout, even if you are physically drained?

It’s because of the increased presence of hormones in your body, hormones that also influence our moods. This is similar to the “runner’s high” experienced by long distance runners.

The increase in anabolic hormone levels observed after a hard workout can increase hormonal interactions with various cellular mechanisms and enhance the development of muscle protein contractile units. On neural stimulation from an alpha motor neuron to initiate a muscle action, various signals (electrical, chemical, and hormonal) are sent from the brain and from activated muscles to a number of endocrine glands. Hormones are secreted during and after the workout in response to the physiological stress of resistance exercise. This simply means that the nervous, muscle-skeletal, and hormonal systems are responsible for the effects promoted by exercises like the squat.

There are various hormones, which produce this effect, and the one that most people are familiar with is testosterone. It's been demonstrated that testosterone serum concentrations can increase with exercises such as the squat.

Squats can increase growth throughout the entire body because they use numerous muscles and this means they stimulate more muscle fibers than say an exercise such as a leg extension or a leg press. The greater the fiber recruitment, the greater the process for potential growth and development in the muscle. Only muscle fibers that are recruited by resistance training are subject to adaptation and the more muscles used in an exercise like the squat the more the muscle fibers are stimulated.

ive never once felt euphoric after a hard workout. but yeh, what keith said is true.

I've felt awesome after a couple of workouts. I did 7 sets of deadlifts today and felt great, those really get my heart pumping! Partly due to the 50mg of caffeine, adrelalin and endorphins that were flowing.

What does a high waist line mean anyway? You mean large? A large waistline has nothing to do with legs, upper or lower body or anything else other than food.

My friend only does upper body, and he's got pretty huge, and his waist has also got pretty big. Maybe it's related, or else he just eats to many pies. I'd do lower body if I were you anyway, deadlifts really do make you feel good.
    Age 29 | Height: 5'11 | Weight: 176 lbs (a while ago) | Weight: 180 lbs (2-Nov-05) | Weight: 181 lbs (8-Nov-05)

Wannabebig Member
    i mean i have longer legs and a shorter upper body

Tony Gentilcore
    There was a great thread over at ruggedmag.com discussing how/why squats and deads make you strong; "Squatting makes the whole body grow."

"The Secret to Allover Mass

Heavy lower bodywork with compound movements (squats and deadlifts) will help you build overall mass because it places the whole body under maximal isometric tension. Research has shown that isometric work can be as effective as regular lifting at stimulating size gains, provided that the time under tension and tension magnitude is sufficient.

-Christian Thibaudeau"
    The man knows his ****. Then again, alot of people don't really care how or why deads/squats make you strong. They work and you should be doing them regardless.

jacked
    it will help it grow in the fact that when you do your legs you also are a,oowing your upperbody to become stronger as well

Squats are just my most favorite lift in the world, the numbers go up easy and the rest of my body goes right with it. From my first noob attempt at 135 to my all time PR of 495 I never once got stuck, and could never wait for that next session.

Wannabebig Member
    so if i start doing squats and deadlifts would my upper body grow into proportion with my lower body? becuase clothes dont sit on me well. I mean my waist is so high that clothes look sooo odd on me.

wait what do u mean ur waste is high?

Wannabebig Member
    i mean my legs are really long and my upper body is sooo short.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Then you'll likely need to hit your legs harder than most of it for them to look proportioned.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

your waist isn't going to move around no matter what you work...

yea man sorry if you look like gumby but thats just your skeleton