The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Is it possible to gain STRENGTH while cutting?

Is it possible to gain STRENGTH while cutting fat?

well i'm at like 15% bodyfat right now.. and to me it's just discusting.. b/c my love handles and my belly poor over my hips..
    BUT, I NEED to get stronger some i'm doing a push/pull/leg routine twice a week.. (nothing over 8 reps)

But what i want to know is.. Would it be possible to lose fat while doing this workout without losing strength?

If so.. what kind of Aerobic excersices (minutes and stuff) or anerobic excercises (sets)

I've got my diet pretty solid right now

1.) 1/2 cup of oats or cereal + 5 egg whites 2 yolk
    2.) peanuts + protein shake (sometimes animal crackers)
    3.) turkey sandwhich on 12 grain bread with vegetable and possible potatoe (depending on my hunger)
    workout
    4.) protein shake + peanut butter
    5.) 2 chicken breast + vegetable and sweet potatoes
    6.) 50g shake

my goal is like 300gs of carbs (quality) and 200-300gs of protein with less then 60gs of fat (less then 10 saturated)

my excersice is usually basketball everyday hardcore for atleast 45 minutes..
    in one week i am implementing sprints into my routine after meal 1.
    -deltoids anonomous

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Im a powerlifter in training and i manage to stay pretty lean while still gaining strength on a regular basis. Im no expert on this i just do what i do but i would say its all in the diet really. I eat high protein with a solid ammount of carbs but not enough to gain weight, enough to sustain my energy for heavy workouts.

but growing daily!
    Yes it is possible unless your very advanced.

Typically when you first start lifting and before you gain elite status your CNS is able to learn to recruit more muscle motor units which means the same amount of muscle will be able to lift a lot more weight as it gets more integrated with your CNS (untrained around 50% recruited, trained around 90%) so theoretically a muscle could get 40% stronger without gaining much mass and while your losing bodyfat.

Zygote

what he said...

The longer and harder you diet the harder it will become to maintain or gain strength. I certainly lose strength when dieting.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Yea it's possible. I'm doing it but I just started working out again.

If you have been working out for a while, and you go on a cut, and you keep the same routine, I have found I do not make gains. I'm not saying changing your routine when you go on a cut will help either, cause you might use a routine that just doesn't work and is worse, or is the same and doesn't help your situation.

So yea in general, like smalls said, most people lose strength on a cut. You mentioned a new routine I think? So if it's better than what you were doing before maybe you will. Be hopeful and optimistic and push hard. Goodluck.

imho, it depends on how hard you cut.

Ive lost 20lbs. in 10 weeks or so, and all my lifts have gone up. I keep the protein high and structure most of my carbs in the hours before and after my workouts. Fats are between 30-40% of my calories. I wouldnt say im elite level by any means, but im not a beginner either. It varies person to person i think. A friend of mine at the gym has recently gone on a cut and dropped 12-15lbs. in the same time as me and he has lost like 30lbs. on his bench . Im not sure about his diet though.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

Is it possable, yes.

I've lost over 80lbs in the past 9 months and have made HUGE gains in lifiting. Gone from barely being able to bench 2 25 plates on each side for 3x10 to doing 65lbs on each side for 3x10. Should pressing went from 60lbs on the machine to 125lbs, etc.. What I found is when you have an excess of fat, its alot easier to lose the fat/gain muscle. Now that I'm 208-210lbs instead of 280-285, I find it alot harder to trim fat and make muscle gains. Right now I'm happy maintaining my strength and just dropping the last 10-15lbs of fat. Once I'm where I want to be fat wise, I'll up my calories and try to get alittle bigger.

I wannabebig!
    I found it possible to maintain or gain some strength, but if you are dieting down real low below what your body is used to I think that is when your strength will start to suffer a bit.

I just cut hard for a month, losing about 12 lbs. I gained some strength for the first 3 weeks, but during the last week of the diet I crashed through a setpoint and suddenly lost ALL the strength I'd gained, plus a bit more. Hopefully I can get the strength back without undoing my whole farking diet.
    "The female of the species is more deadly than the male."

My attempts at lifting heavy objects

Current maxes:

Squat 145 kg (320 lbs)
    Bench 67.5 kg (149 lbs)
    DL: 142.5 kg (314 lbs)

...oh, and I'm a girl.

I've lost 7-8 lbs over the last few months and my strength has continued to increase across the board.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

3:16
    there is a big difference between deiting and cutting.

You may get stronger when deiting. but your not going to when you get cut.
    getting cut involves water loss as well as fat loss and you do at the end of a deit.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.