Thread: How low do you box squat?

How low do you box squat?

I decided a few months back that my squat form was lacking in some way, it felt like my hips or my body style just didn't allow me to get as low as most people on this site preach. I could go to what felt like parallel, but when I went heavy I would tend to stop short, not good. Onto box squats. I started out with a 14" box, which felt about as low as I was going with standard squats. After I got used to them, I moved down to a 12.5" box. At first it was absolutely killer, I dropped probably 50lbs from my working set and it is noticeably a below-parallel squat. With persistance I got my working sets all the way back up to what I was half-squatting in the past, how exciting.

Eventually I want to reach this quintessential 'ATF' or 'ATC' squat that so many are fond of. But again, if I try a box lower than 12" or just a free squat as deep as possible, I feel like I'm going to fall over or sit too hard on the box.

So... a survey..

How tall are you?

How low have you squatted with a box?

Does your butt literally sit on your calves at the bottom of your squat?

I'm 5'7 squatting to a 12.5" box. Not really sure where to go from here..

5'6" been box squatting religiously for about 3 months. With a close stance squat, yes. I've been squatting heavier and with a wider stance though, so no. I squat on a 13" box which puts me about 2" below parallel. I don't use a box when squatting heavy, which I only do once every 6-8 weeks.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Under Construction
    5'10" and use a 12 inch box, puts me well below parallel. 10 sets of 2 reps at 50-60% of max squat.
    Just one guy's opinion.

i've heard a lot about these box squats but don't really know exactly how they are executed... am i correct with thinking that you just place a box behind you when you squat... squat all the way to the box, and when you touch the box explode up?

whats the differance between box squating and just going as far as you can in a regular squat, as far as gains go?
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Box squatting is different. A proper box squat is a squat back to the box. Sit on the box, release hip flexors, keeping the rest of your body tight. (this is done by relaxing the tension of your feet to the sides). Then push feet outward to tighten hip flexors and ascend.

The purpose to releasing/flexing hip flexors is to break the concentric/eccentric chain of the lift. This will strengthen you immensely coming out of the hole because you are relying less on the stretch reflex to move the weight up. In the short time I've used box squats (along with other power training methods) I've increaded my max squat from 355 to 425.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    I use a matchbox.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

The box is a foot or maybe 1-2 inches higher, I'm 5 10, 245. I like to do box squats, they are a good relief from regular for awhile.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by AKraut
    So... a survey..

How tall are you?

6' 1"

I have a 16" and a 14" that I cycle.

No.
    Won't you pour me a Cuban Breeze Gretchen......

Welcome To Jamrock!!!! bIgHwN86's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AKraut
    ISo... a survey..

How tall are you?

- i am 6'2"

- 13in.

- only when doing ATF squats

and the only way to get rid of that feeling like you are going to fall back when squatting is to free squat more often

box squats

I'm 5'8" and for low box squats I use a 10" box. It is WELL below parallel and if I were to close my stance a little, it would be an "ATF" squat.

The reason I box squat is not to hit depth though - I box squat to break the eccentric-concentric chain, as Drew mentioned.

It's NOT critical that you are doing squats "ATF style". If you are hitting at least parallel, then you are doing great. Later, as your form, strength, and functional flexibility improve, hitting an "ATF" squat should be no problem.

Make sure that you are keeping your abs tight at the bottom of your squats - this is where most people have a break in form. Also focus on keeping your head back, chest out, and upper-back tight throughout the movement. These things are the same no matter what style of squatting you do - powerlifting (parallel - low bar) or olympic lifing (ATF - high bar).