Thread: Getting some new equipment

Getting some new equipment

Basically my old setup is getting kinda old and flimsy. I have a bench that goes up far enough for squats that I'm using now but it is really meant to be used with standard weights, not olympic. So anyways I'm trying to decide on what to buy. I could either get something like this: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...entPage=family . Or I could get a standard power cage and bench. The only disadvantage I see with the power cage as opposed to the other thing is the lack of lat pulldowns. What do you guys think?
    Weight:180lbs
    Height:5'9"
    Max Lifts:
    Bench Press-315x1
    Deadlift~415x1 (injured)
    Squat-505x1

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get a standard power cage and not one of those exercise station things.

Pulldowns are not an important exercise to have at home. BB rows and pullups (on a $15 bar) are superior. You're 185lbs, so no excuses on the pullups!

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Nasaan ang unggoy? bigsethmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS get a standard power cage and not one of those exercise station things.

Pulldowns are not an important exercise to have at home. BB rows and pullups (on a $15 bar) are superior. You're 185lbs, so no excuses on the pullups!

:withstupi

I've yet to see a 250lb person do a pull up in our gym, ive seen a 200 get out 2 or 3 but never a 250. Anyways I agree that a standard power cage would do you more glory then any lat pull down majigger.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL
    I've yet to see a 250lb person do a pull up in our gym, ive seen a 200 get out 2 or 3 but never a 250. Anyways I agree that a standard power cage would do you more glory then any lat pull down majigger.
    WIBBIRL, you must work out w. a bunch of weanies. I know quite a few people who are 250+ that have no problem doing pullups. I weigh 200-210 and I can easily bang out 15 any day of the week. Bodyweight is just an excuse for heavy guys to avoid them and show off by pulling the entire stack on a machine...

cosmicdebree88,
    I think the station you had linked looked all right, but there are no safety bars to catch the bar if you miss with a weight. Probably not a big deal if you have a competent spotter, but if you get strong enough, the most competent spotter in the world isn't going to be able to do much if you miss badly with 500+ pounds. A power rack would be the safer way to go - many have a pull-up bar at the top of the rack. If not, you can always do barbell rows instead.

Souns like the power rack's the way to go then. Sounds good guys thanks for the input.
    Weight:180lbs
    Height:5'9"
    Max Lifts:
    Bench Press-315x1
    Deadlift~415x1 (injured)
    Squat-505x1

This is mine...click on the little magnifier to se the pic. It doesn't come with the bench and all, but it's an extremely nice rack for the price..even bare-bones, it's nicer than any of the ones in the price range. It's not flimsy at all..

http://www.omnifitness.com/products/...il.cfm?ID=1186

Also, the dip handles are 50 bucks..
    lat pull attachment is 240
    bench is about 240

I bought it all locally. My rack was 395, which is a sight cheaper than on that site. They sell through independent retailers, and a place called "Lifefitness" There may be a Lifefitness in your area..there is a locator on parabody.com, which is a redirect to the lifefitness homepage.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083