Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bench Pressing in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngel777
    Heavens no! I am only on month three of a 6 year lay off. Feet in the air like in a squat position, by the way. Hard to explain, I am sure you have seen it? Anyway, right now I could do about 250 max on bench... I hope to my cuffs heal up so I can start doing flat bench again.
    Hope you had side spotters. That sounds downright dangerous. I could see how if you came up with the bar uneven you could end up easily falling off the bench. That goes against every peiece of benching advice I've ever seen that recommends having as stable a platform as possible with your feet driving into the floor and as high an arch as possible.

Have you ever tried it that way for a while? I guarantee you would have better results and it would be a hell of a lot safer.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

haha yah 1 little tilt of the weight and down you'd go.

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    haha yah 1 little tilt of the weight and down you'd go.

Actually, it is not as dangorious as you might think. It isn't anymore dangorious than doing BB lunges, IMO.

But on a side note, yes, balance was the key. Doing the bench press the way I did always ensured I was using proper force with each arm. I never had a problem benching this way... I would use a spotter if I went over 295.

But what reason would there be for the weight being unbalanced? If the weight is unbalanced, you either blew a shoulder out or you are too weak on one arm. In either case, not much you can do if your legs are on the floor. In fact, I would think falling off the bench would be safer than having the weight slam down on your neck/chest while you strangle to get it off, if possible.

But anyway, you should try it sometime. I am one of many who actually bench this way. If anything, it demands perfect balance, which is something you want, IMO.

You may not be able to compete on a national level or with your peers who do it the other way, but then again, who cares? Just my opinion on it.
    Last edited by ArchAngel777; 01-25-2006 at 10:03 AM.

For speed bench I sometimes put my legs in the air but theres 0 reason to do it when going heavy.

Iced Earth - Stormrider ArchAngel777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    For speed bench I sometimes put my legs in the air but theres 0 reason to do it when going heavy.
    Right, for you being a Power Lifter and training for your specific goals, there is no reason to have your legs in the air. Have to train for your sport and goals is what I say.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    What part of the butt is touching? It just looks like the very top of the hamstrings is touching and that's all. It just seems like it wouldn't quite work. I guess it does since it passes in the IPF but I'd just want a bit better explanation of what can pass or a few more pictures showing. I thought I had a crazy arch.
    bump, was hoping for an answer to this question
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Looks like that is simply flexibility training Sid, the comp arch I guess would be no where near as insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    bump, was hoping for an answer to this question
    Check the rulebooks of the respective feds if you want a solid answer. I don't know the wording, but I've seen that style of bench in every fed I've ever watched, participated in, or seen pics of.

I agree that it's a really fine line whether any piece of arse is actually touching the bench or not...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    ya the last bench competition i went to I and 2 other people got red flagged cause of that, the bottom of the hamstring, and perhaps the lower part of the butt was touching, but since the back of the butt wasnt touching us this one judge flagged us. It really depends on the judge on what he considers acceptable, or the rule book, its sometimes a grey area depending on how they interprete the butt must stay on the bench.

Was this a local meet?
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

Banned
    yes, no federation or anything

You should find more consistent judging in a reputable fed...