The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Sweating and grunting...where you should be.

go away shin splits

So I've been trying to work up my conditioning but I cant go 20 min because of shin splints. I've had them before but never this bad, I was wondering what you guys do to get rid of them. I'm talking so bad that I cant flex my foot out.

My routine, 5 min walk 3mph warmup, followed by light stretching of legs

3mph loosen up for 3 min
    1-1.5 min run at 8mph 2 incline
    2-3 min walk 3mph

Repeat.

Usually by the 10 min mark everything is happy and I can go the 1.5 min but lately I cant. Two things have changed that may have to do with it.

Since I lift heavy with legs, my glutes are sore so to relax them during DOMs I've noticed I have a greater duck walk and after a few days of that, it becomes more of a habit. Does that duck walk affect the shins? Either way I gotta look goofy so I'm going to reel that in a little.

The other things is new shoes. These are supposed to be top of the line 150$ new balance that are for 200+ lb people. They're durable and have a very strong arch support which I'm not used to as my old pair were very worn out. I'm wondering if my body is trying to rebuild its muscles now that the feet are supported correctly and getting used to a different style of shoe, or if its the shoes themselves that are positioning my feet wrong. After my shins were worn out I took the shoes off and tried to continue walking and I didnt notice a difference but there's no way to be sure since they were so cramped already.

Idea guys?

EDIT: The search is my friend and I've used it. I'm just looking for opinions on whether the changes might have a major effect. Not a correction for them themselves.
    Last edited by crazedwombat; 02-27-2007 at 07:39 PM.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Slap a bag of frozen peas on those shins.

Ice and rest, I repeat, rest. That's about the only way they're going to go away. In the meantime if you want to do conditioning for 20 minutes, go for an exercise bike, there's a lot less impact on the legs (actually none)
    6'0" 180
    Vertical 29" Running= 37" 40= 4.70
    Big 3: Squat= 320
    ........Bench= 275
    ........Deadlift= 350ish?
    OL: .....Clean= 270 150%
    ...........Snatch= 200 111%

Sweating and grunting...where you should be.
    yea, not looking at fixes, but thanks, I read the other shin splint threads. I'm more curious on the changes I've made and the impact that they would have on it, or if I'm just trying to push my conditioning too much too fast. I started 7.5mph for 1 min to 8mph for 1.5.

I just massaged the muscle last night and there's only some soreness today but not much at all.
    HT: 6'3 / WT: 265lbs 16%BF

"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness."

MMA Guru
    - I like girls -

Roll the shins and peroneals and ice them after your runs.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Another trick is to go in the shower and put it as hot as you can handle for 30 seconds then as cold as you can for 30 seconds.

Do that 10 times and it will help you recover faster from all kinds of soreness.

Quote Originally Posted by crazedwombat View Post

The other things is new shoes. These are supposed to be top of the line 150$ new balance that are for 200+ lb people. They're durable and have a very strong arch support which I'm not used to as my old pair were very worn out. I'm wondering if my body is trying to rebuild its muscles now that the feet are supported correctly and getting used to a different style of shoe, or if its the shoes themselves that are positioning my feet wrong. After my shins were worn out I took the shoes off and tried to continue walking and I didnt notice a difference but there's no way to be sure since they were so cramped already.

Honestly, the shoes are probably the biggest thing. I wouldn't say that you are necessarily rebuilding the muscles in your legs, but new shoes can affect the biomechanics of your stride and out of the box they are often very stiff. You need to work them in regardless of price - $150 shoes need to be worked in just as much as $40 shoes from the sale rack . I've bought both and I've had shin splints from both.

I would recommend starting off by walking around in them for 20 min/day. Then do some easy running/jogging in them for no more than 20 min. After about a week or two you should be good to get back into your routine. In the meantime though, do your workouts in your old shoes or hop on a bike or elliptical machine (both of which I prefer to avoid, but sometimes it can't be helped)!

Also, keep in mind that jumping into new cardio routines can result in shin splints if you haven't worked up to that mileage or intensity appropriately. You mentioned that you're trying to work up your cardio, so what kind of workouts did you start with and how quickly did you increase the intensity and/or mileage? Progressing too quickly will have more of an impact on shin splints than changing shoes or walking funny.

Lastly, consider taking your cardio workouts to the track or a football/soccer field. Treadmills (I'm assuming you're doing these workouts on a treadmill since you mentioned doing 1-1.5 min run at 8mph 2 incline) do not have much support and for heavier individuals do not provide enough shock absorption for each step. The result is that the shock of each step is absorbed by your foot and then translated up through your shin. The track and/or grass can provide better shock absorption and can help to relieve and prevent future shin splints.
    Ironman Arizona 13:57:32
    www.kellybruno.com

I get shin splits all the time because of soccer. I would just flex my foot and it would eventualy go away.

I just ordered The ETS pills, they're supposed to help you with DOMS and injuries. Haven't gotten them yet but I heard that they are great.
    Last edited by saia127; 03-05-2007 at 03:56 PM.
    Weight:185
    Height:5'11
    Goal:To get huge.

"Others would just say, 'Death Valley' and leave it at that. But not LSU. Here, it's 'Welcome to Death Valley.' That's beautiful. It's like descending into Hell and finding a sign that reads, 'Satan Invites You to Enjoy Eternal Damnation.'" -Jim Capel, ESPN

Most people get shin splints because they have bad running form or they're running on hard/uneven surfaces. I think the only way to fix them is to rest.
    Height: 6' Weight: 160 lbs
    Goals: Maintain Strength
    My Journal

You'll never get shin splints again if you stop running and start swimming.

Just a thought.

Runing sucks, especially on a treadmill.

Otherwise, I'd go with the bag of frozen peas as recommended above. They help.

Good luck!

have you heard of shin drills??? heal walks,backwards skipping,pulling back with the toe againts a band...any of these type of things will help build up those muslces and in turn my shins splints has become not existant