The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

possible to use only dumbells?

Hey i'm new and was wondering if it's possible to use only dumbells to work out my whole body without having to buy a bench press machine. If so can anybody help me think of a skecthy routine to do for days? Thanks

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

its possible... i don't know if it will be as effective though...
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

I only use dumbbells and a bench for real equipment and I'm doing fine so far. Legs is the only problem. You certainly don't need a bench pres machine.

Banned
    At least for Bench, most people do barbell benches for size and strength. But you can do dumbbells and get great results as well.

NicH.

Chest
    DB Press
    DB Flys

Back
    1 Arm Rows
    Pull UPs
    DB Pull Overs

Biceps
    Dumbell Curls
    Hammer Curls

Triceps
    2 hand press up
    lying cross face db extension

Legs
    Str8 leg DL
    Lunges
    Walking lunges

Delts/traps
    Side Laterals
    DB Shrugs
    Arnold Press

I'd do something like that, don't know how heavy your db's go to though.

Wannabebig New Member
    thanks for the workout sketch. Is dumbells enough for you to see gains though? thanks again

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoobastank
    At least for Bench, most people do barbell benches for size and strength. But you can do dumbbells and get great results as well.

NicH.

NicH.

Quote Originally Posted by minboy
    thanks for the workout sketch. Is dumbells enough for you to see gains though? thanks again
    Sure it's enough, a 50 pounds is 50 pounds

The only downside of DBs I've found is it's REALLY hard to compare your strength to others. What you DB bench press is always very different from what you barbell bench.

Well, 2 down sides, once you've over 80 pounds they get kind of awkward... but that awkwardness helps build stabilising muscles everywhere. When I pick 2 90 lbs DB up from the floor to bench them, my forearms, grip, back, bi's, lats, traps, shoulders and even legs come into play to get them ready to bench. As oppose to benching with a rack where you just slide under the weight and no muscle is used until you start pushing.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks for the answers guys. My last question is when i was doing the dumbell bench my whole arm was shaking. Is that normal or does that mean I have too much weight on the dumbell? I was only benching 32's though. It thought I would need more weight to bench but i'm not sure. Thanks

That's normal. You will get used to it. Just focus on form and doing everything slow and correct, the rest works itself out after that it seems. I did barbells for a long time and then went to dumbells, and I noticed a difference in the size of my chest, it got alot bigger. It might get tricky when the dumbells start getting heavier, getting them into position takes some time to learn. It took me like 6 workouts to learn how.