The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Squats and Junk Food II

Well I wanted to find a program to pack on about 10lbs of muscle, and this looks like it. Its by Poliquin, and you can find it on t-mag.com.

I'm currently 5'11 174 at about 11% bodyfat. My lifts:
    Bench - 175x4
    Squat - 225x2
    Standing OH press - 95x5
    12 BW chinups
    10 BW pullups
    DB row - 60x8
    Barbell curl - 65x10
    DB lunges - 45'sx8 (new to these)
    Hyperextensions - BW+20lb DB x 15
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 07-08-2005 at 12:35 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Here's the program:

Workout 1

The goal of the Advanced German Volume Training method is to complete 10 sets of 5 reps with the same weight for each exercise. You want to begin with a weight you could lift for 10 reps to failure (10RM), if you had to push it. For most people, on most exercises, that would represent 75% of their 1 R.M. load. Therefore, if you can bench press 300 pounds for one rep, you would use 225 pounds for this exercise.

So your workout may look like this:

Set 1: 225 x 5
    Set 2: 225 x 5
    Set 3: 225 x 5
    Set 4: 225 x 5
    Set 5: 225 x 5
    Set 6: 225 x 5
    Set 7: 225 x 4
    Set 8: 225 x 4
    Set 9: 225 x 3
    Set 10: 225 x 3

When using this—or for that matter, any program—you should keep a detailed journal of the exact sets/reps, load, and rest intervals performed, and only count the repetitions completed in strict form.

Additional tips will follow after the description of the remaining workouts.

Workout 2

Increase the weight by 6-7% and strive to do 10 sets of 4 reps with that weight. So workout 2 would look like this:

Set 1: 235 x 4
    Set 2: 235 x 4
    Set 3: 235 x 4
    Set 4: 235 x 4
    Set 5: 235 x 4
    Set 6: 235 x 4
    Set 7: 235 x 4
    Set 8: 235 x 4
    Set 9: 235 x 4
    Set 10: 235 x 4

NOTE: It is not uncommon on the second workout to be able to complete all sets of 4, as your work capacity will have improved from the first GVT workout.

Workout 3

Increase weight of Workout 1 by 8-9% and strive to do 10 sets of 3 reps with that weight. Yes, you are reading it correctly—8-9%, not 6-7%.

So Workout 3 might look like this:

Set 1 255 x 3
    Set 2 255 x 3
    Set 3 255 x 3
    Set 4 255 x 3
    Set 5 255 x 3
    Set 6 255 x 3
    Set 7 255 x 3
    Set 8 255 x 3
    Set 9 255 x 3
    Set 10 255 x 3

NOTE: During sets 6-7-8, you will think your spleen wants to come out of your right eye, but stick with it as sets 9 and 10 will be the easiest.

Workout 4

Use the weights you used in Workout 2 and go for 10 sets of 5, which you should do easily. If not, you have the Testosterone count of a castrated field mouse who consumes xeno-estrogens by the barrel.

Workout 5

Use the weights in workout 3 and go for 10 sets of 4, which again you should do easily. Otherwise, you are one of those Americans who eats an average of 60 dozen donuts a year (no kidding, that is what the average American eats, and if you take out the average tofu-eating Oregonian, the average Ohio resident probably eats 79 dozen).

Workout 6

By now you should be able to do 10 sets of 3 at 275 pounds with no problem. If not, your training background is probably slow tempo Kettlebell power snatches performed on the Bosu Ball.

Rest Intervals: When trainees start with this method, they often question its value during the first several sets simply because the weight will not feel heavy. However, there is minimal rest between sets (about 90 seconds when performed in sequence and 90-120 seconds when performed as a superset), which gives you a process of accumulative fatigue. Because of the importance of the rest intervals, you should use a stopwatch or a watch equipped with one to keep the rest intervals constant. This is very important, as it becomes tempting to lengthen the rest time as you fatigue.

Tempo: For long range movements such as squats, dips, and chins, use a 40X0 tempo; this means you would lower the weight in four seconds and immediately change direction and lift explosively for the concentric portion. For movements such as curls and triceps extensions, use a 30X0 tempo.

Advanced trainees, because of their enhanced neurological efficiency, should only use explosive concentric tempos.

Number of Exercises: One, and only one, exercise per body part should be performed. Therefore, select exercises that recruit a lot of muscle mass. Triceps kickbacks and leg extensions are definitely out—squats and bench presses are definitely in. For supplementary work for individual body parts (like triceps and biceps), you can do 3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Overload Mechanism: Once you are able to do 10 sets of x reps with constant rest intervals, increase the weight on the bar by the percentage outlined in the article and repeat the process. Refrain from using forced reps, negatives, or burns, as the volume of the work will take care of the hypertrophy. Expect to have some deep muscle soreness without having to resort to set prolongation techniques. In fact, after doing a quad and hams session with this method, it takes the average bodybuilder about five days to stop limping.

Following are some sample routines:

Day 1: Chest and Back

A-1: Barbell Bench Press
    10 sets of 5 on a 40X0 tempo, rest 100 seconds

A-2: Lean-away Chin-ups

B-1: Parallel Bar Dips
    3 sets of 6-8 on a 40X0 tempo, rest 90 seconds

B-2: One-Arm Arc Dumbbell Rows

Day 2: Legs

A-1: Back Squats

A-2: Lying Leg Curls, feet pointing away from the body

B-1: Dumbbell Lunges
    3 sets of 6-8 on a 30X0 tempo, rest 90 seconds

B-2: Rack pulls from lowest pin level

Day 3: Off

Day 4: Arms

A-1: Incline Dumbbell Curls
    10 sets of 5 on a 30X0 tempo, rest 100 seconds

A-2: Close Grip Bench Press

B-1: Thick Bar Reverse Curls

B-2: Seated EZ Bar French presses

Day 5: Off

Day 6: Chest and Back

A-1: Standing OH press

A-2: Pulldowns

B-1: DB bench press

B-2: One-Arm Elbowing Rows (the elbow comes out to the side, as if you were elbowing someone in the chops)

Day 7: Legs

A-1: Heels Elevated Front Squats

A-2: Lying Leg curls feet inward

B-1: Farmer’s Walks
    3 times 50 yards, rest 90 seconds

B-2: Hyperextensions

Day 8: Off

Day 9: Arms

A-1: Seated Zottmann Curls

A-2: Low decline close grip bench presses

B-1: Close-Grip Reverse Preacher Curls

B-2: Low Pulley French presses

Day 10: Off

Day 11: Do the Day 1 routine using Workout 2 pattern

Continue for 55 days, making the rep adjustments as outlined.

As you can see, there is no direct work for the popliteus or tibialis anterior, nor is there use of a Swiss Ball, Bosu Ball, or Bodyblade—just straight, hard, rewarding work.

For those of you, who have access to bands or bungie cords, please feel free to add them to the squatting and pressing exercises for increased overload. They are not a must, so don't think you are missing out if do not have access to them. The program will still have impressive anabolic properties without them.

It will take you 60 days to go through the cycle, but you should gain 8-10 lbs. of lean tissue by the end of those two months. It is not a program for the faint of heart, but it is a very rewarding program (in size and strength) if one has the guts to complete it.

It's All About Committment KiwiBuilder's Avatar
    Certainly quite an intense program.

I'd be interested to see the results.
    =================================================
    Currently:: ~90.75 Kg and BFLing!
    Cutting Goal:: Abs!
    Ultimate Goals:: 100Kg at ~10% BF.
    The Road To Largeness
    Newest member of WBBB
    "Go ahead on with it Quadzilla..." - Cocoa.
    "I hope the course gets a few more beer cart girls. Hot ones with long legs and tans. Great, now I'm excited. My left forearm is never going to catch up now. Son of a bitch." - Tim Nissen.
    "Most people don't realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer." - Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

Looks interesting man, im interested in the results as well

Day 1

Well the first workout had a few glitches but that's to be expected.

I weighed in at 175, 1lb gain.

Some fooktard was doing shrugs with just the bar over the bench press bench, so me and my training partner did the chins first.

Lean-away chinups
    I did 3 to warm up
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx4
    BWx5
    BWx3
    BWx4

Just to note, I'm not doing the full 4 seconds on negatives. Since my strength isn't good enough to use much added weight yet, I'm just going to switch to the full 4 second negs next session to make it harder, then maybe see about adding 5 or 10lbs.

Bench Press
    Did 45x10 to warm up
    I'm still getting used to strict powerlifting form on these(tight arch, elbows in, shoulder blades pulled back, lowering to lower chest/upper abs), so I was a bit unsure about the weight. As you can see, I adjusted it as the session went on. 75% of your max for 10 sets of 5 w/ 4 second negatives isn't really feasible, I think it should be more like 55-65%.

145x5
    145x5
    135x5
    125x5
    125x5
    125x5
    125x5
    125x5
    125x5
    125x5
    125x5

We accidentally did an extra set... it was very ninja.

Not quite enough weight on these, I'll accomodate for that next workout.

Dips
    BW+10lbsx6
    BW+10x6
    BW+10x6

One-Arm Arc Dumbell Rows

This are just like regular DB rows except you use a lighter weight than normal and pull through farther, squeezing your elbow back as far as it'll go.

30x8
    30x8
    25x8

Pretty good session. I definately feel the fatigue, but the protein and hottub will take care of that.
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 06-20-2005 at 10:16 PM.

Interesting workout man, keep it up

I'm gonna post some pics so I'll have something to compare to my pics 2 months from now. I'll take some measurements tomorrow probably.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How long does you workout tak eusing this method?

BTW- I want my camera back! (we have the same camera...lol)

The workout yesterday took about an hour, maybe a little more. I am so frickin sore today, chest, back, lats, triceps, shoulders, traps, everything. Tomorrow is gonna suck after the leg session today lol I'm not gonna be able to get up off the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    The workout yesterday took about an hour, maybe a little more. I am so frickin sore today, chest, back, lats, triceps, shoulders, traps, everything. Tomorrow is gonna suck after the leg session today lol I'm not gonna be able to get up off the toilet.
    Sounds marvellous!

Good work mang - keep it up and be sure to post those measurements so we can keep track with you...
    The Road To Largeness
    Newest member of WBBB
    "I hope the course gets a few more beer cart girls. Hot ones with long legs and tans. Great, now I'm excited. My left forearm is never going to catch up now. Son of a bitch." - Tim Nissen.
    "Most people don't realize that large pieces of coral, which have been painted brown and attached to the skull by common wood screws, can make a child look like a deer." - Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts

Took the measurements today. btw where do I measure for thighs? I just went about 2/3-3/4 of the way up my quad, is that right?

Right Left
    Arms- 14.38" 14.25"

Chest- 41.25"

Legs- 24.25" 23.25"

Calves- 15" 14.5"

Forearms- 12" 11.63"

Neck- 16"

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    Took the measurements today. btw where do I measure for thighs? I just went about 2/3-3/4 of the way up my quad, is that right?
    Excellent.

Not sure what the accepted spot is, but wherever you measured, just keeping the same spot.
    The Road To Largeness
    Newest member of WBBB

Day 2

Back Squats
    45x10
    95x5
    145x5
    145x5
    145x5
    145x5
    145x5
    145x5
    145x5
    145x5
    145x5
    145x5

Not quite enough weight on these. Still, I was sweating by the 3rd set. By the last I was looked soked and beaten up lol.

Leg curls toes out
    70x5
    70x5
    70x5
    70x5
    70x5
    70x5
    70x5
    80x5
    80x5
    80x5

Again not quite enough weight, but its my first time doing these in a while.

DB Lunges

These were pretty ridiculous after all those squats and leg curls. More than once my formed messed up, but overall they were good.

35'sx6
    30'sx6
    25'sx6

Rack pulls from lowest pin

Again, not much weight here, but it was enough.

135x6
    135x6
    135x6

-----

I've been walking wierd since. I think I'm gonna be in a world of soreness tomorrow... which I'm kind've looking forward to :evillaugh

another interesting workout

I'm not quite as sore as I thought I would be, but my glutes, hammies, and quads(which almost never get DOMS) are sore. With a little more weight and slower negatives, I'll give em a beating next lowerbody workout.

My upperbody on the other hand is still fookin sore.. not much better. The arm workout is gonna be interesting tomorrow...

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    Haha!
    "Geneing Leans Green"

Woohoo arms today. Its been forever since I've had a good time bein a curl jockey, I miss the good ole days of arm pumping like a fratboy.

Day 4

Barbell curls
    45x10
    65x5
    65x5
    55x5(the straight bar was bothering my wrist a little bit, so I switches to the EZ curl bar)
    60x5
    60x5
    60x5
    60x5
    60x5
    60x5
    70x5

Not quite enough weight like the other workouts. I'll adjust next session.

Close-grip bench
    45x10
    95x5
    95x5
    95x5
    95x5
    95x5
    95x5
    95x5
    95x5
    105x5
    105x5

Not enough weight again, felt good though.

EZ bar reverse curls
    20x10
    40x8
    50x8
    50x8

I like these, felt really good.

EZ bar standing french press
    20x10
    40x8
    50x7
    50x6

Pretty good workout.

Oh yea, yesterday I weighed 173 so I ate a buncha extra food. Today I'm between 176-177. I don't count calories, so its gonna be hard to steadily increase weight accurately, but if I monitor it everyday I think it should work fine.

Just to let ya'll in on what my diet is like, I eat pretty healthy and avoid fastfood, sugar, chips, and other unnecissary stuff as much as possible. I get a good variety of fruit, veggies, meat, dairy, nuts, etc. I also usually take at least 1 protein shake a day, and I also take a multivitamin and glucosomine/chondroitin pill 3 times daily.

Pretty cool routine. DId you read about this on t-nation? Are you liking it so far? Anyway, good luck to getting some sick results. If you're eating enough, this routine will Advanced GVT will get you huge.

Let us know feed back on your recovery and how you feel also. Are you not supposed do a super set of bench and chins? Thats one article I read. Don't get dishearted if you don't get the results your looking for on this, you should make great gains on almost any routine at this point and there are some more basic ones around.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Quote Originally Posted by debussy
    Pretty cool routine. DId you read about this on t-nation? Are you liking it so far? Anyway, good luck to getting some sick results. If you're eating enough, this routine will Advanced GVT will get you huge.
    Yep I'm an ex-member. The forums annoyed the **** outa me, but there's some great info there. I made references to this website many times, but they wouldn't let me post the URL lmao. I'm glad its not like dat here. I'm loving it so far, after a workout I feel like I really did something and the soreness confirms that. It fixes so many of the problems with the first GVT - messed up rep ranges(100 reps a day on 1 exercise, wtf? Its askin for overtraining or injury if done for any long period of time) and boringness(there's lots of variety in this version).

Quote Originally Posted by bill
    Let us know feed back on your recovery and how you feel also. Are you not supposed do a super set of bench and chins? Thats one article I read. Don't get dishearted if you don't get the results your looking for on this, you should make great gains on almost any routine at this point and there are some more basic ones around.
    He said you could go either way with supersets. I chose not to for recovery, I get a little more rest between sets and I don't mind slightly longer workouts. Yea I have alot of room to grow lol so anything heavy and consistent will work. Still, I want to see what a routine like this can do to me. I've never really done such high volume.

The 2nd chest and back workout is in a couple hours and I'm damn ready, lookin forward to it. I'm gonna try close parallel grip chins leaning back alot instead of pulldowns. If they don't work or I don't like em I'll just switch back. Also I'm gonna make sure I go heavy enough today, since I not supposed to be able to do 10x5 on the first workout.

Standing overhead press

45x10
    95x3
    75x5
    75x5
    75x5
    75x5
    75x5
    75x5
    75x5
    75x5
    75x5
    75x5

These were tough, not enough weight but couldn't have been off my more than 5lbs or so. The last few sets were killer.

Close parallel grip chins

I couldn't find any way to do these except alternating from one side of the bars to the other 'marine' style lol, but that worked out fine. We started on a different side each set.

BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx5
    BWx4
    BWx4
    BWx5
    BWx4

OUCH!

DB bench press

45x8
    45x8
    45x8

One-arm 'elbowing' rows

25x8
    25x8
    25x8

Nice and slow negatives, felt pretty good in the rear delts/traps.

Good workout today, I weighed 175, I hope to go up to a steady 176 over the next few days.

Ever since those OH presses yesterday my left shoulder has had a slight pain when I move it certain ways. I think I'll either have to switch to incline press or DB shoulder press instead if it doesn't get better. Anyone have any advice?