The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Point of diminishing returns (protein)

It seems like the prevalent theory is more protein = more mass. Common relations seem to say at least 1g protein per # of body weight (bw) to 1.5g per # of bw. I've seen people suggesting 2g per # per bw for big growth.

What is the point of dimishing returns on this curve? If it's 1g. No, 1.5g. No, 2g. Why not 2.5g? Or 3g? Why not 10? I'd be huge! Where does the curve start to dip significantly?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Not at all

Sure you need at least 1g / lb of body weight in protein a day but the limiting factor is going to be CALORIE intake

Only one way to find out.
    TRY!

I know that for ME the more protein i can put into myself the better the results. My highest recorded intake was 400+Grams a day @ ~180lbs ~11%BF.
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Nasaan ang unggoy? bigsethmeister's Avatar
    well it depends a lot on you. i'd end up getting fat, personally. my body just loves to make fat. sigh.

I was searching around about this subject earlier. Heres what i found:

This was a conversation between Robert M. Russell, M.D., and Carmen Castanada Sceppa, M.D., Ph.D.

Carmen Castanada Sceppa wrote:
    When people start consuming too much protein (over 2.0 g/kg/d), the extra protein can become a stressful stimulus for the kidney. This is even more of a concern as we get older and our organs are less efficient and effective.

Very high levels of dietary protein have also been correlated with increased urinary calcium excretion. The loss of calcium through urine could potentially be harmful for bone turnover, with the added risk of osteoporosis. Finally, protein requires vitamin B6 in order to be metabolized and ultimately utilized in the body. Very high levels of dietary protein increase the requirement for this B vitamin.

heres the site if you want to check it out:
    http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.co...ion/protein_2/

Of course you can eat as much protein as you like but i figured i would just bring this up, because you can damage yourself with to much protein.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    here is my logic (possibly demented)

g's of protein for bodily function ie: hemoglobin production

+

g's of protein required for tissue repair (maintenance)

+

g's of protein required to create *new* tissue

= total requirements to increase LBM

IMO going 1 gram over that is basically the point of diminishing returns

more scattered thoughts:

how many grams of protein in 1 lb of muscle if it's 70% water?

448 * 0.3 = 134 grams

The body is incredibly efficient and I would estimate the grams of protein required to synthesize 1 lb of muscle would be extremely close to 134

(It's too bad this is something that only concerns bb's or we might know this for sure)

So in other words we need to meet our daily requirements, repair what we damage during training (this is significant) and then get an extra 134g's to gain 1 lean lb

now how long does it take to gain 1 lb of muscle ?

if the average *advanced* trainer puts on 5-10lbs/year then we have a month or two to get that extra 134 grams of protein

It's a disgustingly low number to think about and I'm posting this merely for perspective

i get 125 grams if im lucky and i gained ~18 lbs of muscle (and 7 lbs of fat ) this year, so i obviously get more protein than i NEED, i can see how eating more protein could be optimal though.

Natural Bodybuilder
    I believe all you need is 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight. Carbs will actually help you gain more size (2g per bw)