The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Having trouble finding dedicated workout partner!

I've been working out hard a year straight non-stop. The past few weeks I've been trying to find a partner that is serious about the gym. I have a friend that would do it, but hes about 4 hours away going to school. I'm having trouble finding someone now. Also, I just want to know if having a partner will help my workout much? Its obvious that I would be able to push up bigger weights with a spot, but from personal experience , what are the advantages. Thanx Ryan-

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Nasaan ang unggoy? bigsethmeister's Avatar
    Energy and "moral support"

I miss having a lifting partner but haven't been able to find one worth bothering with in a long time.

Banned
    Pros and cons...Get one thats deicated and they may truly be called a workout partner...I have a kid that lives down the street...Hes no partner hes just a spot when I go to the gym...Find someone that really cares about it...and you have a spot...some support...some advice...a friend perhaps...Find a good one and theres nothing but Good things but find one liek I got...Always pissed because hes outta shape 200 lbs. and he benches 150 as a max...Sad...and hes always putting other people down and ****....Just find a good one bro and its the best thing in the gym seince chalk

my lifting partner is long gone he's badly injured so no more lifting for him!

he was the greatest and very loyal too me!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Gutz is right. you gotta have someone WORTH being a workout partner. Preferably a friend who already likes to get in shape or stronger and the like. I had one for 4 months, the first 4 I lifted, and he pooped out on me. He is my best friend and says "maybe next year" lol. Right.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

I've had the same problem for too long now. I'll occassionally ask random people in the gym for a spot, but having a workout partner is so much different. IMO I get a better workout when I have someone there with similar goals to push me and vice versa. In Arnold's Encyclopedia about bodybuilding, even he says the best workouts of his life have been with people as dedicated and goal oriented as he was about their workouts. In my experience it seems like finding a partner to workout with is harder than actually doing the workout.

Yeh, I think the hardest part is going to be trying to find someone that is as dedicated and serious about dieting and lifting as I am. My cousin and another friend are the only ones I would consider at this point. But both are in other cities. I'm wondering if I should approach someone at my gym. There are alot of guys without workout partners. But I think that may be weird. I know for a fact that when I have a partner, I push harder and I lift larger. Once every few weeks I go to stay with my cousin and we go workout. We both get agree that they are the best workouts. Thanx for all the replies

My best lifting partner was actually a kid that i didnt get along with. We were rivals in a sense but had a mutual respect due to lifting. We lifted together for several years and talked more sh*t to one another than you could believe. It really helped in the weight room though and i havnt had as good a partner since.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    My best lifting partner was actually a kid that i didnt get along with. We were rivals in a sense but had a mutual respect due to lifting. We lifted together for several years and talked more sh*t to one another than you could believe. It really helped in the weight room though and i havnt had as good a partner since.
    Such a weird way to have a partner haha.

I find that when I work out with someone, it helps keep rest periods consistent. "When I move, you move" was my old partner's mantra.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Banned
    I went to the gym without a partner today for about the first time in 3 months. It was bliss.

partners are over-rated. Last time I had one he liked to overtrain and brag and stuff so it only led to me having to compete with him (by over training as well). Yeah, I like going alone now.

I used to be one of those crappy lifting partners. I just didn't want it then.

Have you tried posting a "Want-Ad" at the gym?

WANTED

Serious training partner
    Must be available to meet a pre-arranged workout schedule, sans emergencies
    Gender/Strength not important
    Dedication and motivation of self, and most importantly ME--a requirement

Serious inquiries only..

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I used to lift with a friend of mine.. thankfully he quit

I like him and all but we'd bull**** around etc because we hang out all the time. I'm in the gym because I want mass at any cost and I wasn't making progress because it wasn't a serious atmosphere when I was partnered with my buddy

I go with my cousin, but hes going on vacation for 3 months so now I'm done. Anyone live in Bergen county, NJ?

Just move to NY
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

actually I think my partner was trying to sabatoge my workouts. I can remember him coming up to me and asking me questions in the middle of my sets and stupid things like that.

Heh, one of my better friends used to lift with me. He isnt interested so much as getting bigger and stronger then he is with toneing up but he has issues. He over trained some groups and wouldnt train others, he skipped workouts on a moments notice and cut some others short. At first I was happy to see him doing something, and figured that my progress could motivate him twoards his own goals but as it went on and on he became nothing more then a spotter, he doesnt even show up on legs days now and is usually only there to spot me on bench press.

Having a partner is great if its one thats as dedicated and motivated as you are, youll get more done as well as being more productive. It was a good thing while it lasted for me and I think it kept me even more motivated myself. If you can find someone to lift that you like then its good. Back in highschool there was a kid who was a year younger and as strong as I was... we were much stronger then everyone else and we always competed aginst each other, I think we made each other work that much harder.

partners are kinda like girlfriends...you have to be compatible. sometimes it works out, sometimes not. you move on.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Now days i only bring partners with me if i plan on maxing out or doing really really heavy work. In general if i need a spot i'll just ask some random person

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    I used to be one of those crappy lifting partners. I just didn't want it then.

Have you tried posting a "Want-Ad" at the gym?

WANTED

Serious training partner
    Must be available to meet a pre-arranged workout schedule, sans emergencies
    Gender/Strength not important
    Dedication and motivation of self, and most importantly ME--a requirement

Serious inquiries only..

Thats actually not a bad idea. Thanx-

Welcome To Jamrock!!!! bIgHwN86's Avatar
    since we are on the subject of partners...anyone here live in Hilo, HI or anywhere close to Forest Grove, Oregon?...i mean hillsboro or beaverton would be cool....because boy do i need a partner who is goin to kick my ass...i like to lift with people A LOT stronger than me so that i have something to chase....

my last partners were ok...one of them thought that lifting was goin to help him dunk (which indeed it would) but thought that one quick session would do the trick...

the other one was a good partner....loved pain..esp on 20rep squats...but wanted to be just an overall fit person not too interested in lifting...

but growing daily!
    I'm antisocial. I can't see how a few forced reps will outweigh spending twice as long in the gym and being constricted in my choice of exercise, workout time, concentration etc.

Probably the main thing I miss out on is having noone to spot me on bench but I just dumbells instead.

Zygote

I think ive gone through 4 in about a year. People get dedicated for a while because they wanna be strong or look good or get huge but when they realise its gunna take years the novelty soon wears off. Hopefully the one i have now will stick around but he does get lashed far to much.
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FighterInSnatch View Post
    I've been working out hard a year straight non-stop. The past few weeks I've been trying to find a partner that is serious about the gym. I have a friend that would do it, but hes about 4 hours away going to school. I'm having trouble finding someone now. Also, I just want to know if having a partner will help my workout much? Its obvious that I would be able to push up bigger weights with a spot, but from personal experience , what are the advantages. Thanx Ryan-

i find this a problem myself, a partner is serious for a few weeks then always slaks off