Thread: Spliting up cardio

Wannabebig Member

Spliting up cardio

Does spliting your cardio workout effect calorie burning and other that junk?

Like going from 30 minutes of running to 3 sets of 10 minute running, at the same speed

also, that would help me up my speed

then could i also break one of those up into sprints and dashes, say 30 second sprint, 30 second run for 4 minutes, and then 1 minute high speed run then 1 minute jog for 6 minutes?
    Starting over

Why not instead of doing true sets, just slow down (to a walk/crawl speed) between your intense times? This would also help you up your speed -and- keep you warmed up between sets. As to how this would affect calorie burning, the upping of speed and intensity should help you burn some more, but if you kept the same speed through the thirty minutes whether you did them as 3 sets or one long period should not actually make a difference.

Course, I'm still trying to understand the concept of HIIT style cardio and why it ups your metabolism for a longer period of time afterwards.. Reason why I'm mentioning this, is I'm wondering whether the period of rest and intensity in HIIT would also apply over to your set theory. Hopefully someone else can explain if that comes to play in this.

B.
    LaLa

Wannabebig Member
    i didn't mean 30 second runs only, i meant doing it for a solid 10 minutes, but breaking it up like that
    Starting over

Breaking it up how? If you mean coming to a complete stop between sets then my statements still apply. I don't think you should come to a complete stop, just for the factor of warming up, and keeping the muscles warmed up.

Or, if the comment about '30 seconds runs only' was applied to my mention of HIIT cardio, then I'll say this part again -- The only reason I mentioned that is because I'm not sure how the HIIT cardio speeds up the metabolism rate for a higher period of time then normal cardio, and was kind of curious if the affects of doing a 30s sprint/30s dash for 4 minutes and a 1min high speed run/1min jog for 6 minutes could also trigger those same results.

B.
    I think we're confusing one another. Maybe that's just me.
    LaLa