The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Weight Training Followed by Cardio

Ok here's a situation that I may consider. The place I train Thai Boxing has a small weight room where I can probably do the majority of my workouts. I usually have about an hour to kill before class if I go directly from work. Currently I'm on a push/pull split because I don't want to take too much time away from thai boxing. But if I drop to a 3 or 4 day split and workout for 45 minutes or so before class I can probably start weight training more often without missing any classes at all. One thing though is how much will an hour and a half of intense cardio and boxing after a workout hinder any gains I may get from that workout? If there is say 10 minutes between the end of my weight training and the beginning of my class should I try and take anything to partially replenish glycogen? or should I just go from one to the other? Or should I not train at all since i'm going for 1.5 hours straight right afterwards? I'm just trying to find a way to maximize the time I have for weight training and thai boxing.

I don't think eating anything solid will be a good idea before thai boxing so I could maybe have some juice or bring in a mixer and make some kinda shake. Not sure how fast things will be absorbed and how much the cardio afterwards will cause me to lose what gains I'd have had from the actual workout. Lemme know. Thanks.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I see your problem. I take it that your thia boxing consists of a warm up followed by various set routines and then free sparring? You dont get much more intense cardio than sparring for about 15 mins or so non stop. I had the same problem last summer when i was working in an office, i do Taekwondo. On Tuesday i would lift weights for about 45 mins and then have a protien & carb bar, and half an hour later a taekwondo lesson for about 1 and a half hours. Im pretty sure i carried on making gains for the three months i did this, however, i only ever worked my shouldders and traps in these weight sessions and my shoulders respond well to weights anyway.
    How many times a week are you planning on doing this type of workout? All you can do really is cram as much nutrients into yourself before and after each workout without making yourself sick. Experiment for a few months and if you start to lose muscle or dont make any more gains try something else.
    Failure is a privelage reserved for those who do not try hard enough

It would be probably 3-4 times per week. I'd have to change my routine around as I don't think I could get it all in if I kept with a push/pull split. Maybe I'll try it for a week and see how I feel and if it's hindering thai boxing too much I'll switch it up again.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer