Thread: Groin pain when squatting

Groin pain when squatting

Hi..when I squat, and i'm on my way back up, I feel a sharp pain somewhere inside my right groin area..I can't pinpoint exactly where the pain originates from, but it seems like it's deep inside the groin somewhere...possibly even in the hip joint area...it doesn't happen on the left side...only the right...I am able to withstand the pain...i wouldn't say it's excruciating pain but it isn't minor either...any idea what this may be? have any of you guys felt pain in the groin when squatting?

thanks

Could be hemherroids. Do you have any? I have 1 or 2 and sometimes if I don't keep proper form and warm up correctly I'll have a pain in a similar area.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

hmm...i looked up hemorrhoids on webmd

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/90/100612.htm

my symptoms are nothing like those dude...my pain is in the groin area, not my anus
    Last edited by ufc2005; 06-20-2005 at 08:28 PM.

How often have you or do you do squats? I had the same thing when i was back in highschool first starting out. I would say go lighter and work your way back up. If lower weights still hurts it then i would say stop squats for a while.

Hmm. When i started lifting a few months back, i had the EXACT same thing. I know exactly what you mean. I was only squatting down to parallel at the time and had a pretty wide stance. I can't remember how i fixed the pain. I'm doing ATF squats now and haven't had the pain in a real long time. I think it just went away gradually...

Sorry i couldn't really help man. Hopefully yours goes away soon too.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Sounds like you may have a slight adductor problem. You could try closing your stance a bit and see if that helps, also dont be ashamed to use those adductor machines to help strengthen that muscle to help prevent further injury. Stretch alot to help it recover and heal
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Corey..you may be right...it could be a problem with my adductors...

i don't have access to a gym though...i work out at home..

does anyone know any good exercises I can do at home for my adductors?

Also, can someone recommend a good stretching routine before I begin my leg workout(which consists of squats, sldl's and extensions)? I'm not sure what stretches to do..
    Last edited by ufc2005; 06-23-2005 at 09:32 AM.

It's hard for me to help when I keep trying to read your description of the pains over again. Deep inside the groin, only on the right side, while squatting. That's what it sounded like to me. I guess it isn't. Corey may be right, I don't know.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Nick, I didn't even know about adductors until corey's post. I'm not sure if the pain is related to them. It looks like the adductors are in the general area where my pain is. I can't explain why the pain is only in my right side though.

I only recently started squatting. And my legs are weak compared to the rest of my body. I've purposely kept the weights low until i feel my legs can handle heavier weights.

In my last squat workout, I did 4 sets of 8 reps with 115, 125, 135 and 145lbs(thighs parallel to the floor). My 1RM bench and deadlift maxes by comparison are 240 and 315. So i'm desperately trying to strengthen my legs and add some serious mass to them. I think that one of the root causes of my problem(whatever it is), is that my legs are just not strong enough, especially when compared to the rest of my body. I'm 6'0 and 185lbs.

And yes, i feel the pain only when on the way back up. And it's somewhere deep in the right groin/hip joint area. I'm sorry I can't be more definitive than that. After I finish my set, there is no pain though. So there's no way for me to feel around in my groin and try to identify where it hurts AFTER i finish my set. Maybe I should try to feel around my groin while I'm in the middle of one of my sets, haha

I figured I can't hurt anything by strengthening my adductors and by doing some stretches before my leg workout.
    Last edited by ufc2005; 06-23-2005 at 10:04 AM.

Oh yes dude, by all means stretch the adducters. Couldn't hurt anything. It very well could be them. Since you recently started, it could be something like the adducters that need some getting used to it. Hope it works out.

My Exploits

Maybe a minor hernia?
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Anthony, thank you for scaring the bejeezus outta me

hernia was the last word i wanted to hear...i hope that's not what i have

can u recommend some good leg warmups/stretches?

Nasaan ang unggoy? bigsethmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield
    Could be hemherroids. Do you have any? I have 1 or 2 and sometimes if I don't keep proper form and warm up correctly I'll have a pain in a similar area.
    that sounds like a pain in the ass.

If it is a hernia, the only way to fix it is surgery. But you should talk to a doctor before you get too worried, it could be a number of things.

Does this happen all the time?

I remember having tightness in my groin area when I used to do squats. Turned out that I wasn't warming up well enough and coulnd't withstand the weight.
    My Stats
    Weight: 180
    Height: 5'8''

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    yeah if you feel it on the way up its definelty an adductor problem do alot of groin stretches like lean down on one leg with the other extended out to get a good stretch in that area, also try laying on your right side with your right leg infront of your left and do a few rep to where you just raise your right leg up off the ground vertically so you working your adductor.

also get someone, preferably a hot girl...lol, to massage that area for you for about 15 mins or so kinda a deep hard massage to help the muscle rehab and just take it easy on it and stretch it the ice it after each workout and just take it easy thats a pesky muscle to pull cause somedays it will feel fine and the other days it will bother the **** out of you, my dad has been having the same problem for about three years now but for some reason he wont listen to me and work on it as much as he needs to but oh well.

also i play football and we have guys who get this injury alot from squatting and thats pretty much what our trainers have us do to rehab the muscle
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

I get that same pain sometimes, and since I'm a gurl it's not likely to be a hernia. My money is on the adductors and on insufficient warmup.
    "The female of the species is more deadly than the male."

My attempts at lifting heavy objects

Current maxes:

Squat 145 kg (320 lbs)
    Bench 67.5 kg (149 lbs)
    DL: 142.5 kg (314 lbs)

...oh, and I'm a girl.

tholian: hernias can happen in male and female at any age.

Well, hopefully I haven't got a groin hernia then.
    "The female of the species is more deadly than the male."

My attempts at lifting heavy objects

Current maxes:

Squat 145 kg (320 lbs)
    Bench 67.5 kg (149 lbs)
    DL: 142.5 kg (314 lbs)

...oh, and I'm a girl.

I had the same thing when I started squating 2 weeks ago. My left groin hurt for about a week after my first squat session.

The next week I spent 5 minutes or so stretching before doing legs and didn't have the issue at all.

Wannabebig Member
    sometimes i get the feeling when DL my max...uh oh.

Is that sharp pain also a burning pain? If so I bet it is a slight hernia, If you wear a tight belt loosen it and make sure isn't to low. If it really bulges out you would prob need to have it fixed.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)