Thread: Sports Training

Australia - Where the women really go down under!

Sports Training

Hey, Iím from Australia and I play AFL. Iím 15 and play in the local senior league and recently competed in the Australia Post U16 Country Championships. At the time I was happy to get into that league, seeing as I come from a smaller country town where Rugby League is the most popular sport. I asked my coach after the comp was over, what he thought I needed to work on. He said I had a good size to me and plenty of skill, I just needed to work on my fitness. Most people say I am big for my age (6 foot 2, 80kg). Of course playing with in themenís competition is a lot rougher and you are prone to get some bad injuries. I am now very serious about taking my footy further, so I have been going with some mates to the gym for about 1 month now. I play as a forward, so I lead to get the ball kicked to me, on some occasions may I have to sprint 100m up the ground for a lead, stop, fake, sprint another 100m the other way. Usually youíll do this anywhere up to 6 times and then half the time ignored! Looking at some of professionals stats, those guys cover over 25km per game, which I think is pretty awesome! My goal is to increase my fitness and overall strength. I have always been an active person and fairly fit, usually playing up to 3 sports a year. Lately I have been feeling better with my fitness after attending gym, but still think it has to be greatly improved before I try out to make the state championships in March, 2006. This is still a while a way, but I want to be as fit as possible, and also be in shape for the local league comp. Plus thereís nothing wrong with looking good. Iím not looking to put on heaps and heaps of muscle and slow down, but enough to have a good level of strength and want fitness tuned up a notch! Nor am I looking to have ripped muscles. I watch my diet and make sure i don't consume things like lollies, soft drinks, fast food, and if i do, it is very rare like a special occasion. My diet consists of a lot of meats, fruits and vegies. Also i do not drink alcohol. Unless, of course, it is a special occasion, but then it still is something light.

I can only make it twice a week to the gym and hope that is enough. I go Mondays and Thursdays. Generally we walk to the gym from school. I train Wednesday and Friday nights for club. I do each exercise 3 sets x 10 reps.

On Mondays I do;

Vertical Leg Press
    Leg Curl
    Standing calf raises
    Bicep Curl
    Front and Side Deltoid Raise
    Bent-Over Lateral Raise

On Thursday I do;

Bench Press
    Triceps Extension
    V-Bar Cable Rows
    Shrugs
    Stiff Legged Dumbbell Lift
    Front Lateral Pull down

After Iíve completed my exercises I do some crunches and 20-30 minutes of continuous running. All my sprints are done at football training. Does this give me a full body workout? Should I do squats instead of Vertical Leg Press? Or both?

Please, if there is anything major wrong with this, then try and help correct it for me. This is my first go at weight lifting and wont to get it correct!

In case it matters my body type is a Mesomorph.
    Last edited by Fenrir; 06-21-2005 at 09:45 AM.

Welcome To Jamrock!!!! bIgHwN86's Avatar
    Wow you play in the AFL, you must be pretty conditioned, seen a couple of matches on T.V. good stuff.....

Well IMHO i would definitely use squats over leg presses...squats are the Grand daddy of all lifts...just make sure someone is there to spot you...I had a friend from New Zealand who played in the Junior Rugby Leagues there, when he came to Hawaii he was the only football player at 150lbs to squat 225 for 5sets of 10....and let me tell you, he was one fast mother farmer

On Mondays I do;

Vertical Leg Press
    Leg Curl
    Standing calf raises
    Bicep Curl
    Front and Side Deltoid Raise
    Bent-Over Lateral Raise

On Thursday I do;

Bench Press
    Triceps Extension
    V-Bar Cable Rows
    Shrugs
    Stiff Legged Dumbbell Lift
    Front Lateral Pull down
    If your goal is to increase your max strength and overall conditioning I would say that this is not an optimal approach to training for your sport.

Here is my reccomendation.

Workout 1

Front Squat
    Incline Bench Press
    Barbell Rows
    Push Press
    Dips

Workout 2

Deadlift
    Military Press
    Flat Bench Press
    Close Grip Bench
    Chin Ups

***Edited.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 06-21-2005 at 09:28 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

but growing daily!
    AFL requires explosiveness. I would do burpee's to warmup + Vertical Jumps. Then do some of these: Squats. Deadlifts. Military Press. Bench Press. Step work with a barbell. SLDL. You also might want to do neck work using one of those weighted helmets once a week once you build up some mass.

Pretty much anything compound that will build up all over mass and give you an advantage in accelerating quickly and crashing into large moving objects .

Zygote

i'd throw in some cleans, but maki's routine looks great. Simple and Easy is the way to go.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

Until you build a solid base of maximal strength there's no point in trying out a fancy routine. Just get stronger, then work on the specifics.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Maki what do you think of that article "THe Power look" by Isaac Wilkins.

Isaac is promoting the use of the Conjugate training system to exploit different motor skills. It's a very effective way of training however most people are still stuck to their once a week muscle group blitz.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Welcome To Jamrock!!!! bIgHwN86's Avatar
    "The Power Look" is a great program....i was on it for about 6 weeks...i loved it but power cleans and push presses take a toll on my wrists and then i can't nearly go as much on bench and squat, so i went back to good old westside...

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    Until you build a solid base of maximal strength there's no point in trying out a fancy routine. Just get stronger, then work on the specifics.
    Maki, this is a very, very important point, and one that's often overlooked. I probably pissed away a good portion of my first two years lifting because I was trying to "cut" at 6'2" 175 lbs to shave away body fat when I didn't have much of a muscular background to cut around.

I didn't really have a major breakthrough until I took 1 1/2 years- 2 years to just get stronger and not worry about cutting, period. I probably got up to 15% bf or so, but it makes life so much easier if you can have a solid base of muscle to cut/bulk around.

My advice to any newb (unless they were morbidly obese) would be to get into powerlifting for 2 years or so, and then follow the bulk/cut cycle.

Obviously, nothing is "perfect" for everyone, but if I had followed that advice, I would have saved myself two years of wasted time.

Feel free to tear this advice to pieces at will, as I know there are people who are a lot stronger/advance/whatever here than I am.

Well, it's not really something that can be debated as you have witnessed first hand that setting a solid foundation will lead into greater growth in the long run.
    Last edited by Maki Riddington; 06-21-2005 at 07:24 PM.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Quote Originally Posted by bIgHwN86
    "The Power Look" is a great program....i was on it for about 6 weeks...i loved it but power cleans and push presses take a toll on my wrists and then i can't nearly go as much on bench and squat, so i went back to good old westside...
    hmmm, i was on the workout for 4 weeks, about 3 months ago. Din't have have much of a wrist problem, i'm starting it up for the summer, already into second week.

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington
    Well, it's not really something that can be debated as you have witnessed first hand that setting a solid foundation will lead into greater growth in the long run.

You've been around here long enough; people will debate anything

No they won't.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

Wannabebig New Member
    I think it would be a good idea to work squats into your workout because squats work a number of different muscle groups. you will work more muscles with a freeweight workout than a machine.

Thank you everyone for the help. I will definitely try out this new routine and tell you how it goes. With the Deadlift, I have read thats it bad to do deadlifts and barbell rows on the same day, should I just put barbell rows on the other workout? Also, would doing push ups after my bench press exercises till failure be any good?

Yup, sorry I changed it.
    Maki Fit Blog

"Soli Deo Gloria"

The Art of Judo

It's kool, just had to check. Also should I stick with my leg curl because Hamstring problems is like the most common injury in AFL? Or does one of the other exercises substitute for that?
    Last edited by Fenrir; 06-22-2005 at 12:13 AM.

Hey Fenrir do you paly World of Warcraft by chance?
    My sig scared getfit.

Lol no sorry i don't, i have some mates that play though.

Haha just wondering, I got a friend that uses the name Fenrir in game
    Sorry for the thread derail...continue on!
    My sig scared getfit.

Also, what is something good to eat and drink before the game?
    Usually I have like some yoghurt and banana a couple of hours before the game, and then a sports drink like Powerade or Gatorade 1 hour before the game while im getting ready in the change rooms.

Also should I stick with my leg curl because Hamstring problems is like the most common injury in AFL? Or does one of the other exercises substitute for that?