The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

DB Lateral Raises, single or both hands

Are there any benefits of doing lateral raises with one arm at a time rather than both arms at once? The only one I could think of was a larger range of motion but I was wondering if there were any other benefits or if one was better than the other. Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

My thought: If you do both at once, you lose the potential to lean to one side, thus creating a little bit of momentum. I've always like doing them together.

And how could you get a larger ROM? You're only bring the BD's up to the shoulder level anyway, right?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

I do 10 reps with both hands to the side and up the shoulders. Without stoping I go right into 10 reps of side laterals with each arms, one at a time. I stuggle with it enough as it is, I dont think I'm losing anything doing left arm and right arm in rotation.

I have been doing them one arm at a time.

Oh crap!? Jus to the shoulders? I go like 45 degress out past the shoulders. Like, halfway between having them both touching at the top (pointing straight up) and having them at shoulder width. Is this wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Dedicated
    I have been doing them one arm at a time.

I find I can use more wieght with better form when using one arm at a time. Much better IMO.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Im sure in 'pumping iron' the movie/docu Arnies front lat raises went very high >45 degrees above shoulder level? I was wonering if this was beneficial or an outdated training tecnique? seeing as we're still on the topic I thought it might be relevant
    " People just don't land on mountaintops… they had to climb."

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT
    Oh crap!? Jus to the shoulders? I go like 45 degress out past the shoulders. Like, halfway between having them both touching at the top (pointing straight up) and having them at shoulder width. Is this wrong?
    I believe raising them past the shoulders puts stress on your rotator cuff, (which you don't want to mess up!!) and brings other muscles like you traps into the lift.

i feel it in my traps no matter how low i keep it
    Last edited by bigpoppapump979; 06-23-2005 at 06:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geeper
    I believe raising them past the shoulders puts stress on your rotator cuff, (which you don't want to mess up!!) and brings other muscles like you traps into the lift.
    Ive had problems with my shoulder/RC so i just up until my arms are parallel to the floor. If i go any higher it bothers my right shoulder, not cool.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Nasaan ang unggoy? bigsethmeister's Avatar
    i do both arms simultaneously and i only go as high as parallel to the floor as described by eric g above.

The range of motion I was actually talking about was at the bottom of the movement, for example when using your right arm, bringing it all the way over so its in front of your left leg.

I prefer 1 arm at a time to 10-20 degrees past shoulder level.

Front raises beyond a certain point seem to involve a point of diminishing returns.. once you get past a certain point, it feels like the weight isn't doing anything anymore.

im a 1 at a time kind of guy, i bring them up so they my arm is straight out and hold it for a second then come down slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by WILLGETNICE
    Are there any benefits of doing lateral raises with one arm at a time rather than both arms at once?
    I heard you learn to fly faster with 2 arms. That's about it.
    Last edited by SW; 06-23-2005 at 09:38 AM.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

I do them both ways. I alternate every so often. I like one arm cause it feels like i can go heavier.

i mix it up and do both... i find myself leaning sometimes when i do one shoulder at a time... but i can also do a bit more weight for the same reps... i think its a ton harder doing both shoulders at one time...
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Quote Originally Posted by WILLGETNICE
    The range of motion I was actually talking about was at the bottom of the movement, for example when using your right arm, bringing it all the way over so its in front of your left leg.
    When you bring it down all the way like that your rear delt is not doing any work, and gets a little bit of a break. That part of the ROM is completely useless. It's like clanking the DBs together when you're doing flyes - there's no point and it just makes the lift easier.