The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Before pics... Advanced German Volume Training

Here are my beginning pics. Advanced GVT is supposed to take 2 months and add on 8-10lbs of muscle if done properly, so I'm looking forward to some good results. I have a training log in the journal forum if anyone wants to check it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Advanced whatever whatever doesn't add on muscle dude. Eating does.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    Advanced whatever whatever doesn't add on muscle dude. Eating does.
    Well I consider that included in the 'if done properly' part of my post

No one should be lifting hard without their diet and recovery in line.

everyone responds differently to rep ranges and overall volume and specific exercises. Not trying to discourage you, I hope you have great gains

Looks like we have very similar body structures, I look forward to seeing how things pan out.

Love the "camera stand" you used. By the way, just what does German Volume Training entail?
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Workout 1

The goal of the Advanced German Volume Training method is to complete 10 sets of 5 reps with the same weight for each exercise. You want to begin with a weight you could lift for 10 reps to failure (10RM), if you had to push it. For most people, on most exercises, that would represent 75% of their 1 R.M. load. Therefore, if you can bench press 300 pounds for one rep, you would use 225 pounds for this exercise.

So your workout may look like this:

Set 1: 225 x 5
    Set 2: 225 x 5
    Set 3: 225 x 5
    Set 4: 225 x 5
    Set 5: 225 x 5
    Set 6: 225 x 5
    Set 7: 225 x 4
    Set 8: 225 x 4
    Set 9: 225 x 3
    Set 10: 225 x 3

When using this—or for that matter, any program—you should keep a detailed journal of the exact sets/reps, load, and rest intervals performed, and only count the repetitions completed in strict form.

Additional tips will follow after the description of the remaining workouts.

Workout 2

Increase the weight by 6-7% and strive to do 10 sets of 4 reps with that weight. So workout 2 would look like this:

Set 1: 235 x 4
    Set 2: 235 x 4
    Set 3: 235 x 4
    Set 4: 235 x 4
    Set 5: 235 x 4
    Set 6: 235 x 4
    Set 7: 235 x 4
    Set 8: 235 x 4
    Set 9: 235 x 4
    Set 10: 235 x 4

NOTE: It is not uncommon on the second workout to be able to complete all sets of 4, as your work capacity will have improved from the first GVT workout.

Workout 3

Increase weight of Workout 1 by 8-9% and strive to do 10 sets of 3 reps with that weight. Yes, you are reading it correctly—8-9%, not 6-7%.

So Workout 3 might look like this:

Set 1 255 x 3
    Set 2 255 x 3
    Set 3 255 x 3
    Set 4 255 x 3
    Set 5 255 x 3
    Set 6 255 x 3
    Set 7 255 x 3
    Set 8 255 x 3
    Set 9 255 x 3
    Set 10 255 x 3

NOTE: During sets 6-7-8, you will think your spleen wants to come out of your right eye, but stick with it as sets 9 and 10 will be the easiest.

Workout 4

Use the weights you used in Workout 2 and go for 10 sets of 5, which you should do easily. If not, you have the Testosterone count of a castrated field mouse who consumes xeno-estrogens by the barrel.

Workout 5

Use the weights in workout 3 and go for 10 sets of 4, which again you should do easily. Otherwise, you are one of those Americans who eats an average of 60 dozen donuts a year (no kidding, that is what the average American eats, and if you take out the average tofu-eating Oregonian, the average Ohio resident probably eats 79 dozen).

Workout 6

By now you should be able to do 10 sets of 3 at 275 pounds with no problem. If not, your training background is probably slow tempo Kettlebell power snatches performed on the Bosu Ball.

Rest Intervals: When trainees start with this method, they often question its value during the first several sets simply because the weight will not feel heavy. However, there is minimal rest between sets (about 90 seconds when performed in sequence and 90-120 seconds when performed as a superset), which gives you a process of accumulative fatigue. Because of the importance of the rest intervals, you should use a stopwatch or a watch equipped with one to keep the rest intervals constant. This is very important, as it becomes tempting to lengthen the rest time as you fatigue.

Tempo: For long range movements such as squats, dips, and chins, use a 40X0 tempo; this means you would lower the weight in four seconds and immediately change direction and lift explosively for the concentric portion. For movements such as curls and triceps extensions, use a 30X0 tempo.

Advanced trainees, because of their enhanced neurological efficiency, should only use explosive concentric tempos.

Number of Exercises: One, and only one, exercise per body part should be performed. Therefore, select exercises that recruit a lot of muscle mass. Triceps kickbacks and leg extensions are definitely out—squats and bench presses are definitely in. For supplementary work for individual body parts (like triceps and biceps), you can do 3 sets of 6-8 reps.

Overload Mechanism: Once you are able to do 10 sets of x reps with constant rest intervals, increase the weight on the bar by the percentage outlined in the article and repeat the process. Refrain from using forced reps, negatives, or burns, as the volume of the work will take care of the hypertrophy. Expect to have some deep muscle soreness without having to resort to set prolongation techniques. In fact, after doing a quad and hams session with this method, it takes the average bodybuilder about five days to stop limping.

Following are some sample routines:

Day 1: Chest and Back

A-1: Barbell Bench Press
    10 sets of 5 on a 40X0 tempo, rest 100 seconds

A-2: Lean-away Chin-ups

B-1: Parallel Bar Dips
    3 sets of 6-8 on a 40X0 tempo, rest 90 seconds

B-2: One-Arm Arc Dumbbell Rows

Day 2: Legs

A-1: Back Squats

A-2: Lying Leg Curls, feet pointing away from the body

B-1: Dumbbell Lunges
    3 sets of 6-8 on a 30X0 tempo, rest 90 seconds

B-2: Rack pulls from lowest pin level

Day 3: Off

Day 4: Arms

A-1: Incline Dumbbell Curls
    10 sets of 5 on a 30X0 tempo, rest 100 seconds

A-2: Close Grip Bench Press

B-1: Thick Bar Reverse Curls

B-2: Seated EZ Bar French presses

Day 5: Off

Day 6: Chest and Back

A-1: Standing OH press

A-2: Pulldowns

B-1: DB bench press

B-2: One-Arm Elbowing Rows (the elbow comes out to the side, as if you were elbowing someone in the chops)

Day 7: Legs

A-1: Heels Elevated Front Squats

A-2: Lying Leg curls feet inward

B-1: Farmer’s Walks
    3 times 50 yards, rest 90 seconds

B-2: Hyperextensions

Day 8: Off

Day 9: Arms

A-1: Seated Zottmann Curls

A-2: Low decline close grip bench presses

B-1: Close-Grip Reverse Preacher Curls

B-2: Low Pulley French presses

Day 10: Off

Day 11: Do the Day 1 routine using Workout 2 pattern

Continue for 55 days, making the rep adjustments as outlined.

As you can see, there is no direct work for the popliteus or tibialis anterior, nor is there use of a Swiss Ball, Bosu Ball, or Bodyblade—just straight, hard, rewarding work.

For those of you, who have access to bands or bungie cords, please feel free to add them to the squatting and pressing exercises for increased overload. They are not a must, so don't think you are missing out if do not have access to them. The program will still have impressive anabolic properties without them.

It will take you 60 days to go through the cycle, but you should gain 8-10 lbs. of lean tissue by the end of those two months. It is not a program for the faint of heart, but it is a very rewarding program (in size and strength) if one has the guts to complete it.

I dont see how this program can add muscle. doing 10 sets at 5 reps....im curious to see how this is going to work.
    My sig scared getfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Beholder
    I dont see how this program can add muscle. doing 10 sets at 5 reps....im curious to see how this is going to work.
    Are ya kidding? If you haven't heard of regular GVT, Poliquin, Chad Waterbury's rep/set schemes which are similar, etc. you need to edumacate yourself! I'll get ya some links... hold on

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    Are ya kidding? If you haven't heard of regular GVT, Poliquin, Chad Waterbury's rep/set schemes which are similar, etc. you need to edumacate yourself! I'll get ya some links... hold on
    Waterbury has some fantastic workouts for sure.. I'll be very interested how you do. I am starting his hybrid hypertrophy program in July when I finish my Bench program....

And CC... you may wish to clarify your statement. If simply eating put muscle on.. Springer, Maury and the like would have far better looking audiences and guests. Eating alone does NOT make muscle.. proper diet along with proper exercise makes muscle.
    Last edited by Miker; 06-24-2005 at 01:17 PM.
    "Fast food kills more people than hard drugs. McDonalds is the smack dealer of today. We are feeding ourselves things we wouldn't have fed animals 50 years ago. If you respect yourself, you wouldn't eat that crap."
    - John Davies of Renegade Training

"The trainee needs to look past the obvious solution to any problem and look for the real solution. For example, every arm training article in the last ten years to improve your arm circumference has included a workout based on curls and triceps extensions. Do you really think a lack of doing curls is the reason why most guys have less than impressive arms?

Every article on how to improve your chin-ups includes a program with a shitload of chin-ups in it. Is that all you've got? Improve your chin-ups by just doing more of them?

Really fucking cutting edge that is!"
    - Alwyn Cosgrove

Max's
    Bench Press - 255lbs x 1 reps (June 15/05)
    Squat - 325lbs x 1 rep (April 27/05)
    Deadlift - 405lbs x 1 reps (Feb 27/06)

Born -> Ireland, college @ Upenn, Philadelphia. Back in Dublin
    I did 6 weeks of the 10x10, and i'm not sure u are meant to jump straight to the 10x5 but hey, like most ppl said, its not the work out that makes the gains it the work.

I was very happy with the 10x10, the workouts go by fast once you get used to all the super sets. Overtraining was not an issue for me, but i was a college student doing nothing much all day.

As for how the high volume is supposed to work i believe it is due to muscle recruitment, there is a much higher level of muscle recruitment required to make the tenth set of ten. It worked well for me, but as i said i started with the 10x10, didnt stick it out past an attempt at the moderate level.

GL will be looking in on the journal, and PM if u have a question.
    CT
    Start 7` @ 244lbs. (1/Sept/04) --> Bulked 7` @ 277lbs. (05/01/05)
    Most recent Jan 4th 2007 @ 122kilo(268lbs)
    Bf 14.3% as of 28th Oct 06.

Current/
    Bench 300/
    Dead 455/
    Squat 345/

Very interesting training technique. Thanks for responding so well to my question.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker
    And CC... you may wish to clarify your statement. If simply eating put muscle on.. Springer, Maury and the like would have far better looking audiences and guests. Eating alone does NOT make muscle.. proper diet along with proper exercise makes muscle.
    Was there really a point in stating the obvious? What I meant was this routine on average won't put on more or less muscle than any other legitimate one.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

What ever happened to just eating well and lifting 1 body part per week, 4 sets of 8-10? I mean, i'm german so i'm not going to hate on german volume training but jesus christ people. Eat. Sleep. Lift. It's not that complicated.

I'm sure some people would like a routine like that. But I would be bored out of my mind on a routine like that. Even if it put muscle on me I couldnt just "spin my wheels" on a routine like that.

Lookin solid bro, looking forward to update pics. I hope you have good gains on this routine. Give us some feedback.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Waterbury has some fantastic workouts for sure.. I'll be very interested how you do. I am starting his hybrid hypertrophy program in July when I finish my Bench program....

If one routine was extraordinarily better than another everyone would be doing it.. CC was definitely not out of place. I'm sure this guy will do fine but its not like he'll walk away from whatever period of time he'll be doing this with astounding gains.
    Last edited by twm; 07-13-2005 at 03:21 PM.

Actually, EATING makes muscle. Lifting tears it down..

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

That shot with the lotion bottle is priceless...bwahahaha!!

sorry..lol

"It puts the lotion on its skin!"

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Russow
    What ever happened to just eating well and lifting 1 body part per week, 4 sets of 8-10? I mean, i'm german so i'm not going to hate on german volume training but jesus christ people. Eat. Sleep. Lift. It's not that complicated.
    lol no one said it was complicated. At my level of development(not much) I could grow and get stronger from pretty much any routine as long as I worked hard, eat, and slept like ya said. I feel like I'm wasting time when I have a week recovery for each body part b4 workin them again. This routine has only 5 days of rest, all of which are necissary due to the volume.

Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    I'm sure some people would like a routine like that. But I would be bored out of my mind on a routine like that. Even if it put muscle on me I couldnt just "spin my wheels" on a routine like that.

Lookin solid bro, looking forward to update pics. I hope you have good gains on this routine. Give us some feedback.

Thanks for the encouragement! I have more info(measurements and stuff) in the journal that I plan on updating regularly, I'll post em here in a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    That shot with the lotion bottle is priceless...bwahahaha!!

sorry..lol

"It puts the lotion on its skin!"
    That's manly hand soap. I don't use lotion like you women tuttut lol

Right Left
    Arms- 14.38" 14.25"

Chest- 41.25"

Legs- 24.25" 23.25"

Calves- 15" 14.5"

Forearms- 12" 11.63"

Neck- 16"

There ya go, I'll keep ya'll updated.

Update pics

New pics, bodyweight = 179ish

This is 3 weeks from when I started the program, still have 5 to go. The before pics were right before I started.

The 1st pic = my groundbreaking pwning photo equipment.
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 07-13-2005 at 02:55 PM.

Crappy leg pic