The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Double Barbell Overhead Press

One of my favorite "every now and then" moves for the shoulders is an overhead press done with a barbell in each hand.

To do this exercise, you need to set the pins in the power rack so that they are just below shoulder level. Place (2) olympic bars across the pins and then get between them so that you are facing the side of the power rack, rather than the front.

You will have to experiment with your grip to find just the right spot to have the barbells level-this is very important. Use one hand at a time to test which spot works best. Grip the bars so that they are resting on your shoulders parallel to one another. In the starting position, the bars are resting on the pins and your legs are slightly bent. Stand up with the bars across the shoulders and give the bars a chance to level off.

Press the bars overhead to a locked out position-The reason this is an effective movement is that you must do it slowly and with a great deal of control. If you try to "power" the weight up, you will quickly find the bars whipping up and down and out of control. This will force you to do the press slowly, which is perfect for deltoid and upper back stimulation.

The length of the bars and the nature of this exercise will also have a positive effect on the stablizers of your torso.

Start with the bar-believe me a 45lb bar will feel a lot heavier than a 45lb dumbell. Work on slowly adding reps in a smooth, "near perfect" fashion. The legendary Tommy Kono (and if you dont know who Mr. Kono is, you should) was able to press 135lbs for one rep in each hand at a bodyweight of 175lbs. I was able to duplicate Mr. Kono's feat last summer, but then I found he that he did it without any ANY COLLARS---back to the drawing board. This is an excellent adjunct move to any pressing program or it can be used for a couple of weeks to give your shoulder joints a break from heavy presses. In addition,
    it will draw the confused stares of your fellow gym members, which makes it a perfect exercise to perform.

Keith Wassung

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i dont have two oly bars (one standard and one oly) but i guess i could try this every now and then. as a whole i think excercises where you have one hand on the bar are fun like one handed bb cleans/snatches and dls etc.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    This exercise > me

This sounds so crazy! I can imagine how it really stresses stabilizers.

Cool I'll give it a try. I think I've seen some old pics of this, although usually they were 1 hand and bar at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    Cool I'll give it a try. I think I've seen some old pics of this, although usually they were 1 hand and bar at a time.
    Probably one-armed presses. That used to be a popular test of strength in the days of the old-time strongmen like Sandow and Louis Cyr.

Sounds like a fun thing to try and much more difficult than DB presses! I would imagine it stresses the forearms and wrist extensors, as well.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Sounds rather difficult to balance.. No power rack in my gym either.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Maybe an easier version of this (and easier to do in a gym) would be with 2 ez bars.

I should try that.

What I'm having difficulty with is how one gets either EZ bars or straight bars into position...you'd have to kind of reverse curl or snatch them one at a time.. seems to be very awkward without a rack

he said to do it in a rack...

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

he said he doesnt have a rack....

sounds like a workout for the wrists and forearms...when I go to the gym tomorrow, I'm gonna try one with the easy curl bar to start...
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

*EZ curl don't know why I said "easy"...brain fart
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

I think you're safe on that one..lol Since EZ=easy..

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083