The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Review: AtLarge Opticen vs. ProLab NLarge2

Both are weight gain powders. I'll include links to both of their serving information since you can read it yourself and decide. I thought I'd talk about impressions and things I like/dislike about them.

ProLab N Large 2 The information is about halfway down the page.

AtLarge Opticen Click on the "Supplement Facts" Link.

AtLarge Opticen:
    Cost Shipped: About $42
    Serving size: 90g (about 3 scoops I think)
    Servings Per Container: 23
    Cost Per serving: $1.83

The taste I would rate slightly above average compared to other shakes I've tasted. The mixability was much better than that of NLarge. I was able to mix it in a shaker with no clumps, and it stays mixed better as I drink it. NLarge had a tendency to separate. Opticen did not. The serving size was also smaller than that of NLarge, which was nice because I didn't feel as bloated when I drank it. Finally, and most importantly, Opticen has a protein mix. I was told in the forums that the mixture is 50% whey, 25% casein, and 25% egg. This is a good mixture imo, and considering the fact that they released this information at all went a long way in my book. There are also quite a few more vitamins and minerals in Opticen than in NLarge. Plus, it supports a forum which has a ton of helpful information that we all take advantage of.

ProLab NLarge
    Cost Shipped: $45
    Serving Size: 152g (4 scoops)
    Servings per Container: 27
    Cost per serving: $1.67

The taste is on par with other weight gain shakes I've tried. It tastes much sweeter/sugarier than Opticen. If you like sweeter shakes, you might like this taste better. The mixability was ok, but it has a bad tendency to separate after you shake it up. It is also slightly (but only slightly) harder to mix so that you don't get clumps. I end up chewing up about 1/4 of what I mix with NLarge, heh. The protein in NLarge is 100% whey, as far as I can tell. That is a big one. Mixes of protein cover more bases than just one type. Also, NLarge has quite a bit more sugar in it, so if you are on a limited carb diet, it would be hard to drink these. All in all, I think Nlarge is a good weight gain shake for the $$ and although it has more sugar in it, it doesn't go overboard. The caloric edge does go to NLarge, being at 600. Opticen is only around 320 per serving. One other point about NLarge, is if you're a fisherman, when empty, the bucket makes a nice bait bucket.

If I had to pick one, I would go with Opticen mainly because of the fact that the protein is a mix, rather than straight whey. It also comes from a site where I get alot of info and can talk with other people who are in the same boat I am. Both are quality products with a comparable amount of protein. And are close to equal in terms of what they deliver for the $$, but I give the edge to Opticen for the protein mix, it's vitamin contenct, and the forums.
    Last edited by Wierz; 06-24-2005 at 09:44 AM.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

"So basically you're asking us how not to be a whiner?" - Anthony (aka funniest mofo here)

"Not to generalize, but most chicks put more emphasis on facial features instead of body. So if you're striking out, you're probably ugly." - Anthony (aka Funniest mofo here)

"This isn't a gay bodybuilding forum???" - Mrelwooddowd

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Thanks for your review Wierz.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    Opticen is a MRP and nLarge is a Weight Gainer. I don't think its a fair comparision.
    "Geneing Leans Green"

Quote Originally Posted by Nito
    Opticen is a MRP and nLarge is a Weight Gainer. I don't think its a fair comparision.
    Your statement doesn't really make sense based upon his post. He states that N-Large has more calories per serving than Opticen.

The difference between an MRP and a weight gainer is primarily in the amount of carbohydrates per serving. You can make a valid comparison between the two by comparing protein quality etc. as he did.

If someone wants more calories than a serving of Opticen delivers all they need do is milk it with someone to add those additional calories. They will still be getting all of the benefits of Opticen (superior protein matrix etc.) and as many calories as they wish.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    Why not? Hes comparing them as if their both WG's he even states it in his opening sentence.
    "Geneing Leans Green"

Quote Originally Posted by Nito
    Why not? Hes comparing them as if their both WG's he even states it in his opening sentence.
    He then goes on to clarify the major differences in the products. If you read the entire review you might have a difference in you opinion. He provides links to supplement facts on both and talks about both.

Out of curiousity, what is your problem with the comparison?

Good work Wierz. The 320cal in opticen is great for me, I'm cutting.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Ante Up
    wuts an mrp?
    What doesnt kill will only make you stronger

Height 6'
    Weight 225lbs
    Bench 280
    Squat 475
    Deadlift 490

Meal Replacement Powder. It contains protein, carbs, and various vitamins and minerals. In other words it goes way beyond just being a protein powder.