The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Leave this blank, right?

Pr3--All About U in 2002!

This is the TIME! I'm gonna do this and I'm gonna do it RIGHT! I'm tired of being at the same weight and size. It's time to bring it up a notch! I want to be a new, leaner and meaner me. Well, not mean, but mean looking!

This is a rough draft of what I will explain in detail later on:

WORKOUT PLAN

Chest
    Inner
    Outer
    Bottom

Back
    Thickness
    Wideness

Abs
    Upper
    Lower
    Sides

Calves
    Lower
    Upper

Legs
    Front
    Back
    Side

Shoulders
    Traps
    Front
    Back
    Neck

Arms/Forearms

Overall—wideness/leanness

DIET PLAN: January – June PHASE I

6-7 Meals per day

135-40lbs --------------ŕ 155-60 (short term) -------------ŕ 190 (long term)

Foods to eat:

Protein
    Carbohydrates
    Fat
    Vitamins

2002 will be a new chapter, a new experience, and new me. I will become independent and a freebird. I will blow like the wind, and nothing (hopefully) can stop me.

I'm tired of what I see and what I am, the new pr3 will emerge.

It won't be easy, but it's gonna take a lot of hard work, support and discipline. It will be a year filled with struggle and emotions

tuttut :o :alcoholic disagree: :

I WILL SUCCEED!

On your mark, get set, ready........................

GO!
    All work and no play makes me a dull boy

Meeting people, meeting souls, and making love...

Setting goals, working hard to get them, and smiling when you are living them...

to be continued

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Re: Pr3--All About U in 2002!

Originally posted by pr3

WORKOUT PLAN

Chest
    Inner
    Outer
    Bottom

Back
    Thickness
    Wideness

Abs
    Upper
    Lower
    Sides

Calves
    Lower
    Upper

Legs
    Front
    Back
    Side

Shoulders
    Traps
    Front
    Back
    Neck

Arms/Forearms

Overall—wideness/leanness
    Planning a little gene therapy and reconstructive surgery, eh?
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

lower and upper calves?

you gotta come out with the details bro.....

glad your all fired upt hough....
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Leave this blank, right?
    Wow, got comments and still haven't started.

I will post my weight just to know where I'm at:

December 12th--144lbs

I will give more details later. I do need to check my body fat...

Oh, Tryska, I don't know either but I want to find out too.

The part by my ankle is thin, I want to know if there are exercises for that small area. Maybe there isn't. so basically I'm IGNORANT to that fact....

Setting goals, working hard to get them, and smiling when you are living them...

to be continued

that's pretty much achilles tendon bud. there's no muscle there you can target..and genetics is gonna determine it's shape....

but post your routine when you get a chance..i'm glad you started a journal.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Leave this blank, right?
    Damn 2002 is here and I still haven't gotten my diet/training routine on paper yet!!!! DAMN DAMN!

Well, just to let myself and whoever reads this know--I haven't forgotten. My NEW year begins January 7th. I will be posting a diet/training for you guys to review Sunday.

Thanks, and 2002--an unpredictable year, but hopefully a very successful one! Aaaah, pray for me guys (and ladies)!

to be continued

Wannabebig Member
    Originally posted by pr3
    Oh, Tryska, I don't know either but I want to find out too.

The part by my ankle is thin, I want to know if there are exercises for that small area.
    There are two parts to the calf ( well 3 kinda ).

The main muscle people refer to as the calf is the two headed muscle that comes from behind the knee and stops about half way down.

The other bit ( and the bit you need to work ) is the wider flatter muscle that comes out behind the knee *under* the main muscle and goes down to attach on the achiles.

Easiest way to see the difference is get bare legs and do a standing calf raise - the top muscle flexes.

Now sit on a chair with ur knees 90degrees and do a raise - see the main muscle is still relaxed but the flat one underneath is flexing ?

To hit this muscle do seated calf raises ( always do both seated and standing for your calves ) if you wanna see what building the 'lower' calf can do for your legs try to find a pic of tom platz's calves from the back.

Also saw good development in pics on Michael Kindreds site which may be easier to find.

Good luck with your quest in 2002 !

Cheers, Lee

Leave this blank, right?
    Hey me,

have you ever heard of a vacuum cleaner? Oh yeah?

Because I SUCK TOO!

It's already Jan. 9, and I still have not begun to set up a new diet/training.

BUT NO, I am NOT defeated!!! I will give myself two more weeks to shape up. If not, ship out. AND hopefully I won't have to change this to pr3--all about you in 2003!tuttut tuttut tuttut tuttut tuttut :

to be continued

Your title is stupid, and your routine is fooked.

Leave this blank, right?
    Cack, I REGRET the fact that I was wondering where your stupid ass was a few weeks ago! Cuz now, your screwing up my journal!

But heck, at least someone's reading it...LOL.

to be continued

I'll delete it if ya want.

But, seriously, your training bodyparts that don't even exist.

Come on guy, get your shiat together!
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Leave this blank, right?
    So much for 2002. I'm going through some personal issues right now, and I have not been to the gym since last Tuesday. I've lost 5lbs. I hate having the blues.

BUt I am soul searching right now, and things can only get better. My shiat will get together!

to be continued

Leave this blank, right?
    Well, after going through some bout with depression for a week, I'm starting to return to normal. BUT it cost me. I lost a few pounds and it's noticeable. When I went to the gym yesterday (I returned Wednesday), my fellow gym friends were shocked at the weight I had lost. SO much for increasing my confidence when I'm ALREADY feelin' DOWN!tuttut

This week I did:

Back/bis (Wed.)
    Legs (Thurs.)
    Chest/tris (Fri/today)

I think I will do shoulders/abs until next week. This weekend I'm gonna try and regroup with myself (that sounds funny). I did buy some food last weekend to try and have a better diet.

I hate to say this, but I feel like I'm failing at this. I read my first journal post, and I had so much confidence back then...what happened???

I hope I can return to that, but things are just sh*tty right now. So much for a new year.

Perhaps I'll do like Yates and post all my bad days. And there are plenty of those...

to be continued

*SMACK*

Get that confidence back. It's all in your head, don't lose sight of your goals or let the stupid crap set you back. You're the same person who wrote that first post... you're the same person who knew he could achieve good things. Remember that.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Leave this blank, right?
    Thanks Belial. I really appreciate your support. Well, I'm gradually coming back to my old state of mind, thank goodness. I am doing things gradually with both my diet and training. Basically, i'm taking it one day at a time. I notice that when I put a rigid schedule, I get stressed out and basically fall off the wagon.

I will get on a more discipined schedule, but these next few weeks, (with Mardi Gras coming), I will test some training and diet routines. Hopefully by mid-Feb I should be on a schedule.

Anyway, I've gained 2 lbs back. I am feelin' better, and tryin' to stay PROACTIVE!

Today, I had a good (ok) diet:

Breakfast--
    turkey bacon (3strips), 4 eggs (1whole), 2 slices of bread with cream cheese and low-fat jelly. I also took my vitamins, gluatamine, glucosamine, and flax seed oil pill.

Snack--
    Low-Fat Blueberry Yogurt (120 calories)

Pre-workout--
    Whey Protein Shake (with skim milk); plus took my vitamins

Post-workout meal--
    WHey Protein Shake (oj/banana/creatine); took my pills; then ate
    a tuna/egg white (just one) sandwich plus brown rice.

I will have one more meal before calling it quits. I know I should eat more. Today was one of those days (sat) when time just flies by.

Workout--
    Chest
    -Bench
    -Incline (smith machine)
    -Decline (smith machine)
    -Cable Flies
    -Dips

Now, I need to improve on my sleep!

to be continued

Leave this blank, right?
    How is this possible??? I haven't kept up with this since January!

Like CBates, I think I will try to update this while I'm at work (but unlike CBates-I'm BUSY!!! LOL, jk C)

ANyway, my friend and I (who have been lacking the motivation) have decided to start training together. He's bigger than me so I'm sure he can show me some better way to train, and I'm more motivated than him, so I can help him keep focused.

Last night:

Chest/Tris

Machine Flies (110lbs)
    Decline SMith Machine (225lbs--I'm a counting it correctly~I had two 45s on each side and the bar weighs 45lbs right? So that would equal 225?)

Incline DB (went up to 45lbs)
    Flat Bench (145lbs--sad)

Tris
    Sitting Skull Crushers
    Cable pulldown
    and another one (don't know name)

I suk at exercise names--need to learn them!

I;ve been trying to eat 6 meals, and hopefully move that up to 7meals:

breakfast--
    eggs/bacon, oatmeal, water and vitamins
    lunch--
    last night's dinner (usually contains carbs, protein, and some fat)

Snack--turkey sandwich/raisins or peanut butter/jelly sandwich
    Snack--Whey Protein Shake

Pre-workout meal--
    dinner (it depends) PLUS vitamins
    Post-workout meal--
    whey protein shake with vitamins, plus dinner (I've been trying to eat eggs after my workout)

But I need to improve on everything--diet/training/and sleep...I only get like 5 to 6 hours each night...ugh.

to be continued

Originally posted by pr3

Like CBates, I think I will try to update this while I'm at work (but unlike CBates-I'm BUSY!!! LOL, jk C)

I stay busy at work. Usually just making sure my manger isn't watching me behind my back on this web site. Already caught me once today. Hope I don't lose access to it.. Then I'd really hate my job.. Browsing this site all day is about the only thing I like about my job.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Not to piss on you Corn Flakes as Yates would say, but all the smith machines I have seen in commercial gyms are counter-balanced which basically means you are lifting whatever you put on it. If you put 2 plates on each side, that's 180 lbs. Still a good lift.

PS- tell your buddy I said the smith machine sucks and that you guys should move over to the free weights.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

Leave this blank, right?
    ALright! It looks like you guys are updating your journals everyday because I have to search for mine all the time.

Anyway, my workout partner and I began "his" routine Tuesday.

Tuesday we did back/bis. His method is to do two warmups for your first exercise and then 3 regular sets.

PLUS--do a lot of reps and gradually increase your weight. On the last set (sometimes), you go back to the original weight, and do as many reps as you can.

I was amazed that I suk. Here I was working out everyweek, putting down my friend because he never worked out (but he looks bigger). He made me look like freakin' sh*t! (literally) I was STRUGGLING with just 15 sets of 20-pound dumbells for biceps!

It's been two days, and they are STILL aching.

Last night, we were supposed to do legs, but decided to do chest.

We did bench (close grip and wide)
    incline bar (I felt like a weakling with this because he MADE me bring all the way down to my chest)
    db declinee (easy, I love these)
    abs

I'm trying his method because I need a change in training routine. I've been stuck for a year now, and I see he maintains his muscle even when not working out.

My diet is ok. I wait too long to eat meals because I'm constantly busy at work.

BTW, thanks Lats.

Cbates, same here.

Tonight is legs...God help me...

to be continued

Leave this blank, right?
    Dude man, I'm not updating this as much as I should be!

Anyway, LAST Thursday, we did legs...but remember this past week was just a warmup to prepare for the real workout. Legs was short--

leg press, lunges and calves.

Friday, my workout partner got an attitude telling me to show up on time. If not, he would start without me. Guess who showed up first?

We did shoulders and some bis that night. It amazes me how he 'claims' to be out of energy, but then he adds two extra 45s to his 1 45s for traps. And here I am struggling with my single 45s. I hate that. I need to workout on my strength!

Anyway, I skipped the weekend. My diet has been so-so. I need to get a specific, detailed, line-by-line diet with calorie, fat and carb amounts. I also need to improve on my sleep--at least 7 hours and not the 5 to 6 hours I've been doing.

As far as supplements, I think I may order weight gain and some food replacement bars. I will start eating tuna everyday at least, and plan out a meal. I've been saying that forever!

Tanning--I don't know. I want to, but a little cautious after that bump. I will probably go for one week and let it settle. This Neutrogena tan isn't doing too much.

TOday, well...supposedly I will be doing Chest. Tomorrow's Mardi Gras here, so that's outta the question.

Until another time!

to be continued

Leave this blank, right?
    Today I decided to take off.

However, my training has been crap. Working out with someone (in my case) is just not working out. He decided not to go to the gym and it messes out routine a lot. And when we do go, he jokes too much. I enjoy the jokes, but dude, save it til after the gym. Anyway, he's bigger than me, so he doesn't suffer any loss. Unlike me, if I don't workout, I lose weight--fast.

Lately, I have not been sticking to a scheduled training routine. I've only been to the gym doing quick, short, freestyle workouts.

One good thing, I actually look a little better. People have been commenting me a little about my arms. I've been struggling to maintain my diet. I am trying to get 6 meals, and I'm hoping to move it up to 7meals to get this bulking phase up to speed.

One BAD thing, and it's a VERY BAD thing--lack of energy and sleep. I have been suffering with insomnia, going to sleep late and being tired all the time. I don't know if this is also affecting my training (or my partner).

I need to improve on everything, and I need to figure out a way to lose my small gut. I am pretty good all over, I just need to get lean and try to do abs everyday.

I hope to update this more often, perhaps I will see major improvements.

Current weight--140lbs

to be continued

Leave this blank, right?
    This is nothing really because I haven't done anything in the last 5 days. I've been bed-ridden since Friday with a throat infection and now a sinus infection. I have lost weight since it hurt to put food in my mouth. I haven't been to the gym since last Thursday. I was ready to start a good training starting with March, but this damn illness and the cold and crazy weather has just made it more complicated.

I hope by next week, everything will be back to normal. I will need to start watching my diet more closely and train back to where I was before Xmas! God, this is the longest messed up training ever!

I need more motivation, more results, more time!

2002 will be the year!

to be continued

Leave this blank, right?
    Despite being sick with some sort of strep throat since March 1st, I am back on track FINALLY this week.

I've been to the gym since Monday. I've eaten 5 to 6 meals a day.

Training
    Here's my workout plan (this week):

MONDAY--
    Freestyle/neglected body parts
    Forearms
    Abs
    Traps
    Calves

TUESDAY--
    Chest/Triceps

WEDNESDAY--
    Back/Bis

THURSDAY--
    Legs/Calves

FRIDAY--today I plan to do shoulders, and I may hit a light chest workout with some abs as well.

I've been doing light weight (still heavy but not as heavy) with many reps. I go to failure.

Supplements
    3x a day--Glutamine, Glucosamine, Multi-V
    2x a day--Flax Seed Oil Capsule, Calcium
    1x a day--Vitamin C, E, Garlic Oil,
    At Night Only--ZMA

Diet/Nutrition
    While my diet isn't perfect, I've tried to take some type of food at least 5 to 6 times a day. Here's been the example:

MEAL 1--Oatmeal, Egg/Bacon Sandwich
    MEAL 2--Lunch Meal
    MEAL 3--Turkey Sandwich
    MEAL 4--Peanut Butter Sandwich/Whey Protein Shake
    MEAL 5--Dinner Meal
    MEAL 6--Post Workout Meal (Whey Protein Shake/More Dinner Meal)

I think I need to add a 7th meal between Meal 1 and 2.

OTHER BUSINESS
    I've been tired lately even though I've started going to sleep at a decent time. I think I need energy pills or something, OR it could be me tired from my workouts again. Anyway, my training partner has been missing sessions, and I told him not to mess up my schedule again. I did legs last night on my own. Oh well, I can't wait for anyone to make up their mind. Other than working out, I'm bored as hell. I need some excitement in my life--need to start getting into music, perhaps an internship or music lessons.

to be continued

Leave this blank, right?
    First day of Spring, and I hate it. Why do I hate it? Because I recently went to the tanning salon and there were freakin' people everywhere (some nasty lookin' ones too) waiting to tan. At the gym, more people than usual trying to get buff for the hot weather. Not only do I hate the crowds, but I hate the COMPETITION! Here I am, coming to the gym year-round, and then I see some new faces coming in lookin' bigger or getting bigger than me in a faster process! What's up with that? SO, yes I get intimidated, but it also inspires me to go further (but I wish I could honestly say I was doing it for me and not for society).

Anyway, here's my journal:

Training
    This week:

Monday: Chest
    BB Flat Bench (15 x 4)
    Smith Machine Incline (10 x 3)
    Cable Flies (10 x 3)

Time: 45min
    Result: OK (but ran out of time)

Tuesday: Back/Bis

Time: 45 min
    Result: OK (got sidetrack with joking around)

Later today: Legs/Calves

NOTE: Abs...Abs...Abs (need to do these!)

Supplements:
    3x a day--Glutamine, Glucosamine, Multi-V
    2x a day--Flax Seed Oil Capsule, Calcium
    1x a day--Vitamin C, E, Garlic Oil,
    At Night Only--ZMA

Diet/Nutrition:
    MEAL 1--Oatmeal, Egg/Bacon Sandwich
    MEAL 2--Rice & Chicken
    MEAL 3--Turkey Sandwich/Raisinets
    MEAL 4--Whey Protein Shake
    MEAL 5--Beef/Vegetable Stew & ice cream (dessert!)
    MEAL 6--Post Workout Meal (Whey Protein Shake
    MEAL 7--Meal 5

Is a single protein shake considered a meal?

MY BUSINESS
    As you all know I've been bored a hell, I started tanning last week. I'm going 3 days this week and I'll stop for awhile since I have upcoming surgery (gotta look good for the hospital, ya know?) My friend and I were supposed to be back in the gym seriously this week, but he continues to mess up the routine, but what I can't stand is, he still looks excellent. Last night, he did just a few sets, and he was pumping like mad. (..but I have to remember, he taller and bigger frame than me). I need to focus on building my own self-esteem and also pursuing things that will make my happy and confident about myself: I hope it's music!
    Last edited by pr3; 03-20-2002 at 11:16 AM.

to be continued