Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: genetics are overplayed....

Genetics account for things that hinder your ability to look/lift better than the next guy. Fat placement, metabolism, partitioning, muscle shape, innate strength, etc. I'm sure everyone here can point out one guy they knew in school who did very little and always looked ripped and big. I bet you can also point out the guy who was in the gym everyday and constantly ate, but couldn't seem to break 160lbs.

If you think that you can look like a bodybuilder such as those in competition for Mr. Universe, given the proper drugs, then I'd say you have a 99.9% chance of being an idiot. Anyone can look good and way better than they do when they start, but looking like Chase, for example, isn't something that everyone could accomplish in only a few years.
    Last edited by galileo; 06-25-2005 at 08:03 AM.

are you accusing me of saying any of that galileo?

note, i said a weakling COULD do it but that even a naturally big guy might not notice much difference. i never said that if you juice youll become a legendary bb'er, i said that someone pre-juice and post-juice can be very unpredictable.
    Last edited by jack_of_all; 06-25-2005 at 08:39 AM.

I don't think genetics are overplayed. But I do think that anyone can look reasonably good with lots of hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by jack_of_all
    are you accusing me of saying any of that galileo?

note, i said a weakling COULD do it but that even a naturally big guy might not notice much difference. i never said that if you juice youll become a legendary bb'er, i said that someone pre-juice and post-juice can be very unpredictable.

Was I quoting or addressing you?
    Last edited by galileo; 06-25-2005 at 11:06 AM.

Grasshoppa
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinStarke
    Theres a reason my dad is a big guy and strong as an ox and i can move the weight i can and a buddy of mine who used to lift with me for months on the same routine couldnt move the same weight in some lifts, its because his dad is a little guy just like him.
    That's probably not the sole reason, unless you both have reached your maximum potential. We don't all start at the same spot. Some people can start off lifting a decent weight, while others need to work their way up to that weight.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by jack_of_all
    people, your missing something here though.

you could train and do everything like chase (pre anabolics) and get almost no results. you could do your own thing and get BETTER results (not necessarily than chase, but better than you did when you trained like him). levels of volume, tempo, etc all work differently for different people. just like steroids. someone might have 20 lbs on you and you are equal in training expierience but then if you both start juicing you have more receptors and will end up bigger. to say someone was big before steroids matters, but imho is overrated because its hard to say how much or how little they help a given person. a weakling could juice and have amazing results and end up looking like a mr olympia contestant, a big guy could do it and not quite get there. and when your using a drug to help you, your levels of volume and everything else that you will respond best to also change, so really, there are far to many variables to say that genetics effect ANYTHING (obviously they do, but you see what i mean) until we have a study on some sets of identical twins or triplets...
    I highly disagree with this. Puberty will effect most people in much the same way that steroids do. If during and after puberty you put on very very little muscle and strength and ended up looking like a taller version of yourself (which is most ectomorphs) then chances are you will never be a monster regardless of drugs used. You have to have the base to support a certain type of physique, huge shoulders arent going to be built on a beanpole (where talking pro-caliber shoulders). Out of the many many people who juice, the biggest guys usually become the monsters while the scrawny guys become the "built" guys. There are also other reasons for this such as the fact that many scrawny people just dont eat or train right, thus their results will always suck.

I also disagree that training like chase could get someone less results than training differently (for 99% of the population anyway). I've never met anyone who can't grow off low volume high intensity workouts that focus on compound movements and progression, while taking in more calories than they burn. That has pretty much always been chases routine. Correct principles are correct regardless of who is using them.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

yes, they are still CORRECT principles, but unlike in math, there are no hard answers here. chases body might be able to stand more training or not as much training as the next guy. as far as the puberty argument you make, if the person isnt at one extreme (already huge or really tiny) after they come out of puberty, that DOESNT mean that they will respond the same to steroids. and no, puberty isnt quite like steroids, the natural increase in T is SIMILAR, but there are many steroids out there with slightly different compounds and different people respond differently to different ones, and even peoples natural hormones could vary. these differences are often small, but they can amount to a good bit. and yes, bigger people USUALLY end up bigger, but there are always exceptions. some people also exibit amazing growth when they take up lifting even though they were scrawny before, really, genetics play a 100% role in the end, but different genetics make different things optimum.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smalls
    You have to have the base to support a certain type of physique, huge shoulders arent going to be built on a beanpole (where talking pro-caliber shoulders).
    I fully agree, but it's not always the case. I saw a picture of Teufy before he started lifting, and though the picture wasn't fully clear he looked damn scrawny in it. Shoulders didn't look wide, looked tall and skinny basically. But now look at him, the pro's are telling him he looks good!
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

I got crap ass genetics for bodybuilding, but got pretty good results in never cheating on a meal and never missing a heavy workout and sleeping alot. I went 18months with out cheating, and just ate good manly food and it payed off.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    Genetics are the end-all be-all.

You can train right, eat right, do everything right - but the limiting factor will ALWAYS be your genetics.
    I think anyone can build a decent amount of muscle if they do everything right.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    I fully agree, but it's not always the case. I saw a picture of Teufy before he started lifting, and though the picture wasn't fully clear he looked damn scrawny in it. Shoulders didn't look wide, looked tall and skinny basically. But now look at him, the pro's are telling him he looks good!
    I know what you mean. He may be like my younger brother. My bro is 6'2, 135. He started lifting and eating, and got to 158 @ about 5% in 3 months! Then, he went off to college, stopped lifting,and he's right back to 135 again after about 3-4 months. He's tall and skinny from my dad's side, but I think he may have some of my mom's side genetics, which I carry exclusively. That's the only way I can figure it. He was looking downright big, and now he looks like this again..

actually, we were messing with the camera on new years...so he went from 158 to 135 from sept to jan...he clipped at 5% the other day..just for the hell of it...

stange genetics
    Attached Images Attached Images

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield
    Sure.

But as said, genetics are the limiting factor.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Genetics are the most overplayed excuse.

Genetics play a huge role in lifting, you can take all the supps you want but if your genetics arent up to play you wont get to pro size. while some guy take few supps and gain like crazy, thats genetics.

there are alot of people with crappy work ethic that dont understand that it takes alot of hard work to get the most out of our physique's and they use genetics as an excuse
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

but only the limiting factor if proportion, and the "adonnis" that we've all come to accept as the perfect human form are your goals...

we should just be happy with that we've got...

I'm a fatass, and I woudlnt swap genetics with anyone. If someone doesn't have olympia genetics, then they were meant to be something else, for a career at least.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I got sh*tty genetics, but I've learned to live w/ it.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    this is where I disagree. No disrespect to Chase, but saying someone has "great" genetics is a relative term. He has great genetics compared to who? Not many people follow the regiment that he does, so how can we compare?

Compared to me. Compared to the average individual. Having good bone and muscle structure is important when competing or even modeling. People striving for that perfect physique might never attain it because the shape of their muscles or bone structure will always limit them.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield

It's not so much bulding muscle, because I believe with enough hard work and dedication, it can be done. However, what the final results look like is where your genentics come into play. A good example is biceps peaks. If you weren't born with naturally high biceps peaks, no amount of juice, reps, or whatever is going to give you that peak. You can make the biceps bigger, but that's about it.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    They are a limiting factor, but the thing is any beginner regardless of what his genetics are(except for diseases, etc.) can put on at least 25-40lbs of lean mass naturally with proper nutrition, training, and recovery. So until you've done that, don't bitch about genetics.
    :withstupi

lol