The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

genetics are overplayed....

all i seem to hear a lot of is "my genetics suck blah blah blah". Well, my opinion is that genetics are overrated. Only on the pro level where everyone is religious with EVERY part of their training/diet will genetics factor in. Take chase for example on this forum, everyone talks about how great his genetics are. However, nobody seems to mention how he busts his ass in the gym and follows a religious diet.

Anyone agree or disagree?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Grasshoppa
    I think it's assumed that he busts his ass in the gym and has a great diet. That aside, he has great genetics.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by Shao-LiN
    I think it's assumed that he busts his ass in the gym and has a great diet. That aside, he has great genetics.
    this is where I disagree. No disrespect to Chase, but saying someone has "great" genetics is a relative term. He has great genetics compared to who? Not many people follow the regiment that he does, so how can we compare?

Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    this is where I disagree. No disrespect to Chase, but saying someone has "great" genetics is a relative term. He has great genetics compared to who? Not many people follow the regiment that he does, so how can we compare?

Compared to me. Compared to the average individual. Having good bone and muscle structure is important when competing or even modeling. People striving for that perfect physique might never attain it because the shape of their muscles or bone structure will always limit them.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

I think genetics is more about looking like the desired bodybuilder's shape, when having loads of LBM. Some people are capable of that, and some aren't. I'm sure there are plenty of people on WBB (I do not claim to be one of them..lol) who put in must as much time as Chase, yet don't look nearly as good. Genetics, for what it is in the bodybuilding world, is still a matter of opinion. It's like saying that a big-chested girl,with a small waist and long legs is the most desireable. For a certain group of people, it is..for others, it isn't. In bodybuilding, "genetics" is the big chested girl. It's the most desireable shape, and some are incapable of attaining it, no matter how much they lift, eat,and inject.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by mrelwooddowd
    I'm sure there are plenty of people on WBB (I do not claim to be one of them..lol) who put in must as much time as Chase.
    I highly doubt that

I highly doubt that
    I don't...

There are people all over the world that are putting in just as much effort, but they aren't going to ever look as good as him. They do not have the shape that is desired in bodybuilding..they have tiny calves that won't respond, they have crappy shoulders, etc. etc. etc. That's just the way it is. Every human being is shaped differently, and probably differently enough that it could be like a fingerprint at some level, but some are in the same category of shape that has been defined as the perfect human form. No amount of lifting and eating will ever get them there, but they can still look fantastic and bang tons of chicks as a result of looking the way they do. They just won't win Olympia..

5/3/1 Journal

Grasshoppa
    I highly doubt that
    Why? Your genetics will determine your physical appearance, your physical limits, etc. etc. Chase puts in a lot of good work at the gym and on his diet. He is a very knowledgeable person. But, he is in amazing physical shape, and also was before he started anabolics. My genetic limits are different from his, as are yours, and everyone else. Saying that EVERYONE who puts in as much work as Chase does on his diet and lifestyle will achieve what he has achieved is underestimating the role genetics play.

Genetics aren't overrated, but people tend to blame their downfalls in the gym on their genetics when they should really look at their daily routines. If anything, you can say that genetics as an excuse is overused, but to explain someone's physical prowess, it's not too far off.

It's like saying that anyone can train to be a great olympic runner if they put in the time and hard work. Training does play a big part in how great you can be, but your genetics will determine the limits your training can take you.
    Last edited by Shao-LiN; 06-24-2005 at 08:00 PM.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Quote Originally Posted by Shao-LiN

Genetics aren't overrated, but people tend to blame their downfalls in the gym on their genetics when they should really look at their daily routines. If anything, you can say that genetics as an excuse is overused, but to explain someone's physical prowess, it's not too far off.

It's like saying that anyone can train to be a great olympic runner if they put in the time and hard work. Training does play a big part in how great you can be, but your genetics will determine the limits your training can take you.

This is pretty much how I feel on the topic. It's amazing how much someone can change their physique regardless of crappy genetics, but there will always be limits based on genetics. And HOW you actually look is very much goverened by genetics.
    But people blaiming their genetics is very excessive. If people actually ate and trained correctly and consistently they would surprise themselves.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Genetics are the end-all be-all.

You can train right, eat right, do everything right - but the limiting factor will ALWAYS be your genetics.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    Genetics are the end-all be-all.

You can train right, eat right, do everything right - but the limiting factor will ALWAYS be your genetics.
    I think anyone can build a decent amount of muscle if they do everything right.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield
    Sure.

But as said, genetics are the limiting factor.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield

It's not so much bulding muscle, because I believe with enough hard work and dedication, it can be done. However, what the final results look like is where your genentics come into play. A good example is biceps peaks. If you weren't born with naturally high biceps peaks, no amount of juice, reps, or whatever is going to give you that peak. You can make the biceps bigger, but that's about it.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Footballer
    I agree genetics do play a big role, I've seen people who busted there ass in the gym, just not getting results, and they seem like they know a couple things about diet. For me I have great genetics, just not as a body builder, I have good genetics to become a wide receiver in football, or a track athlete, decent size shoulders, long legs, and a naturally relatively low bf.
    Calgary Stampeder!
    Formerly a CMU Chippewa!

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Until gene therapy is more of a solid science. Then genetics will be moot.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

genetiks pwn j00
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

All bow down to the mighty Chase!
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Genetics play the biggest role in this game. There was a point where I was spot on dedicated; diet was perfect everday, never missed sessions... and this went on for months and months. But I never made the gains that some people on this forum do with less dedication and less effort than I had put in. I made my most gains during this period; MY most gains. I'll never make the gains certain individuals on this forum make, and I'll never get to their size and strength. It sucks, but what can we do!
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Grasshoppa
    Yes, this was in the wrong thread...dunno how that happened.

I r dumbass.
    Last edited by Shao-LiN; 06-24-2005 at 09:52 PM.
    Shao-LiN

LMAO!!!!

wrong thread, grasshoppa!!

5/3/1 Journal

genetics + diet + supplements + dedication + regiment = your results
    I wont even bother bringing up juice and its impact...
    flame on
    chase if god
    rah rah rah

Genetics rule! That said most people can make dramatic changes.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

They are a limiting factor, but the thing is any beginner regardless of what his genetics are(except for diseases, etc.) can put on at least 25-40lbs of lean mass naturally with proper nutrition, training, and recovery. So until you've done that, don't bitch about genetics.

Mint
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    They are a limiting factor, but the thing is any beginner regardless of what his genetics are(except for diseases, etc.) can put on at least 25-40lbs of lean mass naturally with proper nutrition, training, and recovery. So until you've done that, don't bitch about genetics.
    :withstupi

these comments are spot on accurate.

I don't think genetics are overplayed. But I do think that anyone can look reasonably good with lots of hard work.