Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arnie presses better than regular db presses?

Arnie presses better than regular db presses?

I reckon Arnie presses are in fact better than regular db shoulder presses.
    Since swithching to them, I have noticed gains in the mass of my delts.
    The rom is much greater, and really hits all three heads, expecially the rear head. I'm surpised I don't see more people doing them, perhaps it's because you can't lift as much.
    Who else does them?

I do both arnold presses and regular db presses. I do 2 sets of arnolds then 4 days later I do 2 sets of dumbell presses, then 4 days later back to the arnolds etc.

I was injured and when I started working out after my injury regular db presses aggravated my shoulder, but arnold presses didn't. They are definitely a good exercise.

I'm not entirely sure about Arnies hitting the rear delts. But they DO hit the front AND side delts, which is better than just the front. I follow them with standing side laterals, since the side delts are pre-exhausted from the Arnies.

My shoulders went NOWHERE until I started this combination.

Hang cleans and upright rows worked wonders, too.

Damn, sounds like I should be doing arnie press lol.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield
    Damn, sounds like I should be doing arnie press lol.
    Me to... hmm

How do you hit the rear delt? This is my current shoulder routine:

Arnie presses 3X8
    DB lateral raises 3X8
    Behind the neck shoulder press 3X8

Face down incline side raises and face pulls work well for me. Also upright rows.

I do 'em first, since it's such a small muscle, I always want to give it all the juice I've got, and it doesn't drain me to do 'em first 'cause they don't "cost" much to run.

Oh, bent over rows work well too, if you hold your elbow out at 90 degrees from your body instead of pulling along your waist like you do for back.

no doubt arnold presses rock...bent over rows hit my rear delts pretty hard

forget arnold presses....sounds like a good way to f your shoulders up when using heavy weight

How so?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT
    How so?
    :withstupi if your form is correct i don't see the problem on going heavy
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

I do regular then arnie press. I dnt think their is anything wrong with them but i have seen some horrible form when people are trying to do them which is bad news.
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    forget arnold presses....sounds like a good way to f your shoulders up when using heavy weight
    Sorry pal... 100% unadulterated wrong.

The key benefit to doing Arnold Presses is not actually the benefit the front and center delts receive but infact the external rotation you are putting your shoulders and rotator cuff muscles through. Many people ignore their rotator cuff muscles because they either don't know how important they are, they don't know how to work them or they assume these muscles are being worked with other exercises.

My warning.. ignore the rotator cuff at your peril. However, doing arnold presses allows a rom that hits the rotator cuff in a position of stability and strength that doesn't fatigue them to exhaustion but allows them to strengthen and become more durable and flexible which is what you need if you ever intend on having strong and usable shoulders. Rotator Cuff work will not grow the size of your shoulders but you will be surprised at the effect they will have on your bench, incline and other shoulder extensive exercises.
    "Fast food kills more people than hard drugs. McDonalds is the smack dealer of today. We are feeding ourselves things we wouldn't have fed animals 50 years ago. If you respect yourself, you wouldn't eat that crap."
    - John Davies of Renegade Training

"The trainee needs to look past the obvious solution to any problem and look for the real solution. For example, every arm training article in the last ten years to improve your arm circumference has included a workout based on curls and triceps extensions. Do you really think a lack of doing curls is the reason why most guys have less than impressive arms?

Every article on how to improve your chin-ups includes a program with a shitload of chin-ups in it. Is that all you've got? Improve your chin-ups by just doing more of them?

Really fucking cutting edge that is!"
    - Alwyn Cosgrove

Max's
    Bench Press - 255lbs x 1 reps (June 15/05)
    Squat - 325lbs x 1 rep (April 27/05)
    Deadlift - 405lbs x 1 reps (Feb 27/06)

show me one pro who does arnold presses. I'll stick to the basic movements and just eat big.

show me a pro today that does it. All I saw Ronnie doing in his video was heavy BB and DB shoulder presses and some DB said and front raises....maybe he does more than he shows in that video, but its just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Gee, one pro who does Arnold presses.

How about... Arnold?
    ummmm who's arnold?wasn't he the one who started the arnold press!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    ummmm who's arnold?wasn't he the one who started the arnold press!
    yes, and arnold also wasn't even the best in his time

It's too bad race and politics dominated in that day. At least the race issue isn't such a big deal anymore

ummmmmm but he did get the Olympia several times so i can say he was very much a pro!

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    ummmmmm but he did get the Olympia several times so i can say he was very much a pro!
    you win my olympia

Quote Originally Posted by GMCtrk
    yes, and arnold also wasn't even the best in his time

It's too bad race and politics dominated in that day. At least the race issue isn't such a big deal anymore
    solid logic for ignoring your shoulders... enjoy the injuries when they come.
    "Fast food kills more people than hard drugs. McDonalds is the smack dealer of today. We are feeding ourselves things we wouldn't have fed animals 50 years ago. If you respect yourself, you wouldn't eat that crap."
    - John Davies of Renegade Training

"The trainee needs to look past the obvious solution to any problem and look for the real solution. For example, every arm training article in the last ten years to improve your arm circumference has included a workout based on curls and triceps extensions. Do you really think a lack of doing curls is the reason why most guys have less than impressive arms?

Every article on how to improve your chin-ups includes a program with a shitload of chin-ups in it. Is that all you've got? Improve your chin-ups by just doing more of them?

Really fucking cutting edge that is!"
    - Alwyn Cosgrove

Max's
    Bench Press - 255lbs x 1 reps (June 15/05)
    Squat - 325lbs x 1 rep (April 27/05)
    Deadlift - 405lbs x 1 reps (Feb 27/06)

I don't get it. What happens to promote injuries with Arnold presses?