Thread: Rotator Cuff

Rotator Cuff

I never really payed attention to this muscle before. I know it's very important. I'm not sure if I have any lifts that work it directly, the only ones I know of that might are Ahnold presses and uprights rows. What else can I toss in here? Should I add them in on my back, shoulders, bicep day?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT
    I never really payed attention to this muscle before. I know it's very important. I'm not sure if I have any lifts that work it directly, the only ones I know of that might are Ahnold presses and uprights rows. What else can I toss in here? Should I add them in on my back, shoulders, bicep day?
    I throw rotator cuff exercises in on my shoulder day.. at the end of my shoulder workout and pay attention to how my shoulders feel.. you don't want to bring this muscle group to failure however you do want to stress it.

I do barbell cuban presses the odd time, standing horizontal db external rotations (bend your arm at 90 deg so that the forearm is parallel with your waist (or beltline) across your body and grip a dumbbell. Holding your shoulders still.. rotate your arm outwards, pivoting at the elbow (it shouldn't move.. ) so that you finish with the forearm still parallel to your waist but your hand should be pointing in the opposite direction .. or 180 degrees from where it started.. then ove it back).
    You can do the same movement lying on your side flat or in an incline.

Arnold presses obviously, and a number of cable exercises. Do a google on rotator cuff exercises and you will find plenty. Once a week is probably just fine. You want to ensure you strengthen this group as you push more weight in bench, shoulders etc. They stabilize what is essentially a very weak joint (the shoulder) and if they are not strong, a slight uncalculated movement while pressing or moving heavy weight can rip them.. and lead to separated shoulders and worse. I can tell you from personal experience.. it isn't pleasant trying to heal from a rotator cuff injury .. it takes ages.. and destroys your weightlifting for quite some time.
    "Fast food kills more people than hard drugs. McDonalds is the smack dealer of today. We are feeding ourselves things we wouldn't have fed animals 50 years ago. If you respect yourself, you wouldn't eat that crap."
    - John Davies of Renegade Training

"The trainee needs to look past the obvious solution to any problem and look for the real solution. For example, every arm training article in the last ten years to improve your arm circumference has included a workout based on curls and triceps extensions. Do you really think a lack of doing curls is the reason why most guys have less than impressive arms?

Every article on how to improve your chin-ups includes a program with a shitload of chin-ups in it. Is that all you've got? Improve your chin-ups by just doing more of them?

Really fucking cutting edge that is!"
    - Alwyn Cosgrove

Max's
    Bench Press - 255lbs x 1 reps (June 15/05)
    Squat - 325lbs x 1 rep (April 27/05)
    Deadlift - 405lbs x 1 reps (Feb 27/06)

Alright, thanks for the heads up.

Just a general question about the extending, but like you said (and cable external rotate), but do you want to go the complete 180. My arm can only make it about 140 degrees safely. The other 40 feels like it's being forced and I get a weird feeling. Should I just push it or not bother doing that last 40 degrees?

i dont over do it, if im doing the ones where i lay on my side and lift the arm i only do it till my arm is pointing straight out, thats just what feels comfortable to me, nice slow reps. Definitelly work your rotator cuff i didnt used too and now i have a pinch in my left rotator cuff, cant really do any over head pressing.

Make sure your pushing and pulling strength is in order, in all planes, before you worry about RC exercises. Strength imbalances are a leading cause of RC problems, and in lifters, this is often due to a lack of pulling strength. I see people spending all day, every day on bench pressing, then they throw in some RC exercises and think they're set.

BTW, your RC is not a muscle, but a collection of muscles and tendons that connect your arm to your shoulder.

My happy RC story is that after suffering with a bursitus for years and trying all sorts of RC exercise regimines, I started lifting heavy and developed my pecs and front delts and the problem resolved. Yay.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT
    Alright, thanks for the heads up.

Just a general question about the extending, but like you said (and cable external rotate), but do you want to go the complete 180. My arm can only make it about 140 degrees safely. The other 40 feels like it's being forced and I get a weird feeling. Should I just push it or not bother doing that last 40 degrees?
    No.. I would not force it past comfort. There are 4 muscles involved with your Rotator cuff that allow for rotation of the humerus in the scapula. Pushing them past their stress point may actually rip them.. and you may not notice since they are so small. You will certainly notice the next time you try and shoulder press or bench.. as the shoulder pops.. Since the Shoulder joint is a synovial ball and socket joint it has a rom in all 3 planes of movement thus has a huge rom.. but because of this is very unstable and relies on the rotator cuff for integrity... damage a muscle as small as the Teres Minor and watch the dominoes fall when you grab a heavy weight to press.
    "Fast food kills more people than hard drugs. McDonalds is the smack dealer of today. We are feeding ourselves things we wouldn't have fed animals 50 years ago. If you respect yourself, you wouldn't eat that crap."
    - John Davies of Renegade Training

"The trainee needs to look past the obvious solution to any problem and look for the real solution. For example, every arm training article in the last ten years to improve your arm circumference has included a workout based on curls and triceps extensions. Do you really think a lack of doing curls is the reason why most guys have less than impressive arms?

Every article on how to improve your chin-ups includes a program with a shitload of chin-ups in it. Is that all you've got? Improve your chin-ups by just doing more of them?

Really fucking cutting edge that is!"
    - Alwyn Cosgrove

Max's
    Bench Press - 255lbs x 1 reps (June 15/05)
    Squat - 325lbs x 1 rep (April 27/05)
    Deadlift - 405lbs x 1 reps (Feb 27/06)