The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Finish exercise before...

moving on to the next one? Meaning,do 3 x 8 chest ,and then move on to 3 x 8 chin ups. Or should I do a set of chest, then chin ups, then... etc., then back to the 2nd set of chest.

Just wondering what would be better.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

why are you alternating between chinups and a 'chest' excercise which you do not specify? Chinups use your bicep and lats, it's kind of unrelated. Actually it depends which way you grip the bar, I personally prefer palms facing out, its easier on my wrists imo.

I would do 6x6 of 'chest' , then im done with chest, and then move onto whatever.

I think it would be useful. Kinda like a 2 sided pre exhaustion. ALso something totally new to your body, so shock to it would be good. I'd give it a try for a while and see what happens.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

I have never used that method with chest/back, but i have done it with bi's/tri's. When i did it that way, my muscles feel stronger each set then when i all tri's and all bi's. Have you tried it yet? if not try it out.

Yeah I'd like to get some opinions from more experienced lifters on this subject. If you switched between sets (of different muscle groups) then you could get out of the gym faster since you're working out two muscles in the time that would usually be used for only one muscle group. While it may be difficult to keep people off both machines if they're not right next to each other, if you could do it then should you?

The only thing that I'd be worried about is the body not getting enough rest or the heartrate being too high to get the maximum reps for each exercise but I'm not sure.

Wannabebig Member
    I think you guys invented another question lol!!!

Let's say I'm doing biceps and triceps today.

What I meant was should I finish doing all of my bicep sets, then move on to triceps. Or ... Do one set of bi's then one of tri's then one of bi's then one of tri's etc.

I'm not talking about working different muscle groups on the same day.

Thanks for all your help!

I'snt this like a modified or truncated version of circuit training?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Yeah I do this occasionally if I don't have time or something.

Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    Yeah I do this occasionally if I don't have time or something.
    How does this save time?

Circuit: chest/tris, chest/tris, chest/tris (3 sets chest, 3 sets tris total)

Non Circuit: chest/shest/chest, tris/tris/tris (3 sets chest, 3 sets tris total)
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by zlip14
    moving on to the next one? Meaning,do 3 x 8 chest ,and then move on to 3 x 8 chin ups. Or should I do a set of chest, then chin ups, then... etc., then back to the 2nd set of chest.

Just wondering what would be better.
    It's called a "super-set" where you do one set and immediately work the antagonist of that muscle (i.e., chest/back). After the second set, you rest for however long you need. Itís a great way to throw your body off its routine, and saves some time.

The second type of super-set is where you work your target muscles and then immediately hit the same muscles with another exercise i.e., bench press followed by flyes. It really shocks the target muscle, but donít do it too often.

The last type of super sets is where you work one set muscles and then immediately work an unrelated group of muscles; i.e., squats and dumbbell curls. This is used only for saving time.
    Where are your abs? Start looking for them in the kitchen.

Zlip: I would say try it out and see how it works for you. i did it that way before i switched my routine. It felt good from lift to lift and set to set. It didnt save much time though. Also its easier when its with free weights because with machines someone else might want to use it.

Wannabebig Member
    I'll repost because I don't think anyone say this:

I think you guys invented another question lol!!!

Let's say I'm doing biceps and triceps today.

What I meant was should I finish doing all of my bicep sets, then move on to triceps. Or ... Do one set of bi's then one of tri's then one of bi's then one of tri's etc.

I'm not talking about working different muscle groups on the same day.

Thanks for all your help!
    Last edited by zlip14; 06-29-2005 at 07:37 PM.

Yeah i understand exactly what your asking. I have done it before and it felt good my muscles felt good every set. So yes try it out, try doing your first set of bi's then do the first set of tri's, then move on to the next set of bi's and the next set of tri's. If you don't like it don't do it.

mercury,

Technically a superset works the same muscle group two different ways - for example, flyes and dumbbell press.

Some folks call something like the chest/back pairing of which you speak "antagonistic supersets", but they're not true supersets.

That being said, I do sometimes do this to save time - for example, I'll alternate between calf raises and crunches with little or no rest, because they're so unrelated the one doesn't tire me for the other and I don't have to waste time resting between sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    mercury,

Technically a superset works the same muscle group two different ways - for example, flyes and dumbbell press.

Some folks call something like the chest/back pairing of which you speak "antagonistic supersets", but they're not true supersets.

That being said, I do sometimes do this to save time - for example, I'll alternate between calf raises and crunches with little or no rest, because they're so unrelated the one doesn't tire me for the other and I don't have to waste time resting between sets.
    x2. It's probably not optimal, but as long as you're not winded I don't think it will cause any noticable problems.

I know what you are saying Built, but I've heard and read the term used in all the situtations as I described. But yes, the true definintion of a super-set is what you posted.

Oh, I figured you probably knew. It's one of those sloppy things that often gets glossed over in the literature out there.

You mean liking "toning"?

Oh, toning's real. So's spot reduction.
    especially when you do a lot of reps!!

Oh, toning's real. So's spot reduction.
    And just 3 minutes a day on the AbRoller will get me those six-pack abs I've been wanting.

And with those NO pumps, I'll be packing on the muscle.