The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Tricep Exercises

Hi all

I was wondering what exercises will eventually give me the horseshoe shape to the triceps.
    The limitations I have is that I only have access to home dumbells and barbells and a bench. Therefore I cannot do cable exercises like pressdowns.

I am looking for a maximum of 3 exercises.

Thanks in advance.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

My favourite is between-bench dips with a couple of plates on my lap. Put a towel between the plates to keep 'em from slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    My favourite is between-bench dips with a couple of plates on my lap. Put a towel between the plates to keep 'em from slipping.
    I hate those! all personal preference i guess!

close grip bench press
    DB seated press thingy with both hands on the DB

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    You and I would be great workout partners, GMC - we'd NEVER be fighting over equipment.

just give me some DB's, and oly bar and plates, and an adjustable bench and Im good to go

Close grip bench press, floor press, board press, j press ... noticing a trend? Pressing movements are the best for triceps. Plus if you gain 20lbs, the shape will be a lot more noticeable (assuming you don't gain 20lbs of fat).
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

I was wondering what exercises will eventually give me the horseshoe shape to the triceps.

** pretty much any of them.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Lying triceps extentions (skull crushers) give a good stretch to the tri's, and it has a good ROM. These are my favorite tricep exercise.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

I'm still skinny, so frankly i don't care much about the shape, just how to add on more weight. But an article in muscles&fitness magazine suggested that you can do reverse grip pressdown to focus the tension on that head.

Quote Originally Posted by DNL
    But an article in muscles&fitness magazine suggested that you can do reverse grip pressdown to focus the tension on that head.
    Muscle & Fitness is only to be used to wipe your ass with. It is complete rubbish.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Joshua
    Muscle & Fitness is only to be used to wipe your ass with. It is complete rubbish.
    I still have a few issues from when i first started lifting. I wouldn't say they are completely rubbish though. THey have a few good routines in addition to some diet plans and recipes, tips on training, and techniques on how to perform a certain exercises. I think they are good/useful for the new lifters. If you are an experience lifter you are expected to have known most of those materials already.

Tricep ext., dips, skull crushers
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Grasshoppa
    Horseshoe shape comes with size and low bodyfat. So pick a routine and have fun.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

from this months wbb newsletter,

Ask Maki

Maki is a BCRPA CPT who specializes in Body Recomposition and Strength and Conditioning.

He currently resides in Vancouver, British Columbia and runs www.dynamiconditioning.ca

Question: Which triceps exercises would you say are the most effective for stimulating growth?

Answer: In terms of picking exercises that will give you the most bang for your buck, you're going to want to select compound movements that are bio mechanically favourable. Some good examples would be the dip and close grip bench press. These exercises are very effective at packing on the mass on the upper arms because they take advantage of the stretch reflex. The more elastic energy collected in a movement the greater the potential for more motor units to fire. Plus, they place the triceps in an advantageous position.

As a general rule of thumb, a muscle is at its weakest at its longest (fully stretched position) and is at its strongest at its shortest (fully contracted). With the dip and the close grip bench press, the triceps muscles are in a contracted position in the beginning of the movement and placed in a stretched position at the bottom position. This means that the load on the triceps muscle is at its greatest at the bottom position since the muscle is in its weakest position. And since elastic energy is being collected as the bar descends towards the chest there is going to be a greater muscle contraction during the concentric portion of the lift.

Once you've chosen the movements you want to revolve your workouts around, pick some loading methods. One example would be to use isometric holds followed by slow eccentrics. A sample workout would look something like this.

Dips: 3 sets x 4-6 reps

Each repetition would consist of 3 isometric holds in the entire movement. One at the mid point during the decent, one at the bottom and one at the mid point again coming up. Hold each position for 5 seconds.

Close Grip Bench Press: 4x6-8 reps

Using 80-85% of your 1RM slowly lower the bar down to the chest under a count of 6-10 seconds, then explode up and repeat.

I've found close grip bench and skull crushers have really helped shape my triceps as well as strengthen them greatly.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks everyone for their replies.
    I have decided to use close grip bench press, over head press and kickbacks. I would have chosen dips in place of kick backs if I had the equipment available.

btw this was the shape of my triceps flexed about 2 months ago. Not very big but I'll get there some day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Xandrite; 06-27-2005 at 08:31 AM.

You can do dips off the edge of a bench ... kick backs are wasted energy.

Are the kickbacks with pink dumbbells?
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Wannabebig Member
    OK. I have decided to replace kickbacks with dips.
    However I am not quite sure what range of reps to use to make the triceps grow with THIS particular exercise. Any ideas?

Lift more weight each week in the 3-10 rep range and eat lots of food. This is generalized, but will suit your purpose.

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    Two chairs can be used.. lots of home furniture is available.
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

size, low bf and genetics will determine how your tricep develops. Any tricep pushdowns will develop your tricep well. Personally I like tricep pushdown with rope the best.
    Never Giving In.

Two out of three aint bad. Get rid of the kickbacks, it's wasted energy that could otherwise be spent doing dips.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo