Thread: Meniscus Injuries in the knee

Hybrid View

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo

Meniscus Injuries in the knee

Meniscus Injuries in the knee
    By Robert Marx, MD, MSC, FRCSC

Next time you squat (or jump or kick), thank your cartilage. This elastic tissue, located on the ends of the thigh bone (femur) and leg bone (tibia), is responsible for allowing the knee to bend and straighten in a smooth and fluid fashion. That type of cartilage is similar to the smooth, shiny surface on the end of a chicken bone, but there's another type of cartilage in the knee called the meniscus. Located between teh ends of the bones, it acts as a shock absorber and stabillzer. And it's a structure you don't want to damage - studies have shown that if the entire meniscus is removed, the knee can develop arthritis.

How it happens
    Despite our best intenitons, the meniscus ifs frequently injured while playing sports or while lifting in the gym. The most common injury results from a rapid twisting of the knee, but it can occur many other ways such as through forceful flexion, like when a lifter hits the deep full squat position hard and bounces back up. Insome cases, there may not be a specific injury, but the meniscus can tear due to repitive loads and chronic degeneration.

How it feels
    A torn meniscus is often painful because loose ends of cartilage can get trapped in the knee. Sometimes the torn piece can create mechanical catching or locking of the knee, requiring maneuvering to "unlock" it and allow motion. In other cases, a piece of the meniscus can break of and become a "lose body" that can also lead to catching or locking Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) is helpful in confirming the diagnosis and determining the best course of treatment.

How its fixed
    After the onset of symptoms, a round of physical therapy and anti-inflammatory medications may be warranted. However, mechanical symptoms such as catching and locking will resolve only if the offending fragment of tissue is removed, generally by arthroscopic surgery. The procedure is performed through two small holes (each measuring less than a centimeter) in the knee. A camera is inserted into the knee through one hold, and surgical instruments are inserted through the other. The torn pieces are then either repaired or removed.

How it recovers
    Following the surgery, rehabilitation is undertaken with a physical theraptist. The intial steps are to reduce swelling and regain full motion of the knee. Crutches are generally required for a few days, but most patients are walking normally within 1-2 weks of surgery. Strenghtening is an important part of the rehabilitation process, and atheletes are generally able to return to their sports within three months. Professional athletes who are in top shape and can dedicate each day to rehabiliation can return to play within a week or two in some cases, depending on thier sport.

Why I wrote this you ask? I feel like it has happened to me, but in a less serious way. I think it was due to playing basketball. My (right only) knee hurts a few hours after playing, and the following day I have trouble walking. I feel like I pulled something, after stretching it will help temporarily but it does help. Could it possibly be this? I want to have it checked out soon.
    Last edited by pfc3rex; 06-27-2005 at 06:57 AM.
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

I had a meniscus injury 2 years ago in September and man oh man was it the WORST. I was running on the perimeter road around my campus and my shoelace came untied and I failed to notice. A little bit afterward, I stepped on it.. I ate **** and rolled, literally, partway down the hill. I felt a little shaken up and embarassed but fine for the most part - at first.

That night after an exam, I was walking back to my whip and my leg started getting really stiff. By the time I got to my car, I was in pain.. that night, I could barely walk. The next morning I was in excruciating pain and went to the doc.. he gave me a cortisone shot in the ass and I started a 10 day series. After that, I was taking 500mg of naproxyn twice daily (morning/night). I couldn't squat, dead or do anything really. I sat on my ass for weeks.

Overtime, it got okay. I didn't have any rehab or surgery. Eventually I started doing 1/4 squats to feel things out.. they were okay but I really didn't feel right. 1.5 years later, I started doing VERY light leg extension work (70lbs x 8) very, very slowly and only about the middle to top degree of the ROM. It has really helped and I am able to parallel squat & dead pretty comfortably again.

Good luck man.. I hope your recovery is faster and more linear than mine was.

I have a lot of the symptoms in my right knee.....especially the "locking up" every now and then. Been happening for a few years after blowing it out during "play time". Dont ask. I think im gonna go get it checked out pretty soon. I had an MRI taken when it forst happened but it didnt show anyhting, time for a second opinion because i definitlely had a loose body floating around in there. I could move it around and it would stay where i put it under the skin. I never had surgery so im sure its still flaoting around in the joint somewhere causing me to lock up randomly. Time to get a second opinion.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.