Thread: Cleans and Snatches

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Cleans and Snatches

I've been doing cleans for a couple of weeks (well, trying to do them, but not quite so successful) and I wanted to know if snatches are good to do. If I can only do one or the other, which should I do? Which one is more important?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

The snatch is a more technical lift. I suggest you stick with the clean.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I'm having trouble finding good videos to show me exactly how to do Cleans. Do you know of any? Perhaps you have any videos of yourself doing it?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

No, but I have Iron Man News from the 50s which goes into detail and well as other texts.

I am speaking from the perspective of other's opinions on the matter.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

But I just need some way of knowing exactly how to Clean. I'm just not getting it. -_-
    Lifting Journal

then you need someone to coach you, in person.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking but I don't have a gym membership so I can't really just walk in.
    Lifting Journal

I have a suggestion. Go to www.ironmind.com and look at their books on Olympic lifting.

Here is a link to a product they sell which could be of great help:

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/iro...sp?number=1203

Chris

im in the same boat as you... i sometimes do cleans but im not sure if i am doing them correctly... the next time i am in my gym i am going to one of the personal trainers and having them coach me...i guess thats just one fo hte nice things abotu having a gym membership.
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Olympic Lifts video clips

Here are some clips:
    http://www.uwlax.edu/strengthcenter/...0Movements.htm

The movements are pretty self-explanatory really. Are you worried about something in particular with your form?

I actually find that a lot of young people actually learn proper form faster on snatches than cleans. Probably because you usually don't make a lift at all w. snatches if you do it improperly. I see so many people doing the most awful looking powercleans and it's simply amazing you don't see many injuries...

Sensei I've actually seen those videos before but they seem messed up. The videos seems so choppy that it's hard to tell what's going on during the most critical moments of the lift.
    Lifting Journal

Maybe it's your connection because it looks totally clear from here... If you do a google search for video clips, I'm certain you'd be able to find quite a few others as well - unfortunately, it's not unusual to find people posting clips of pretty poor form...

Oh, yeah for some reason it was all choppy before but works fine now. Thanks. Although the video helps, I think I'll still have some trouble nailing the exact form for myself.
    Lifting Journal

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...fts/Clean.html

Try this, you need gif animation activated on your browser if using Opera.

Yes I've seen that before but I'm actually looking to do a Power Clean.
    Lifting Journal

Ante Up
    hey man try hangs cleans less can go wrong if u do a hang clean...u eliminate half the movement their harder to do but if ur playing a sport better for u. Explosion is key with hang cleans. Start by practicing a power shrug...or a jumping shrug and upright row at the same time. Ill try and find a video for u.
    What doesnt kill will only make you stronger

Height 6'
    Weight 225lbs
    Bench 280
    Squat 475
    Deadlift 490

Ante Up
    This video is pretty good gives a descirption at each pointHang Cleans
    What doesnt kill will only make you stronger

Height 6'
    Weight 225lbs
    Bench 280