Thread: May start powerlifting in the near future.

May start powerlifting in the near future.

I am considering starting to become a powerlifter, and I PMed one of the most knowledgeable powerlifters I know of on another board, and he gave me this sample routine:

MONDAY: Bench day (Heavy bench, assistance work - cable crossovers, dips, CG bench, BB rows, shrugs for example)

TUESDAY: GRIP

WEDNESDAY: Squat day (Heavy squats, assistance work - leg press, SLDLs, Zercher and front squats)

THURSDAY: OFF

FRIDAY: Deadlift day (Heavy deadlifts, assistance work - chins, shrugs, any other back exercise you wish)

SATURDAY: OFF

SUNDAY: ARMS

I am unfamiliar with some terms, and I am unable to do a lot of them due to lack of equipment. Do you think this routine would be good for a guy new to powerlifting?

Unknown Terms
    SLDLs
    Zercher

Undoable Exercises
    Cable crossovers
    probably SLDLs and Zercher, but i don't know what these are...

I will try to do my own research, but it would also be helpful of you to give any comments or suggestions to make this better for me.

Thank you very much, and have a nice day!

MOP

SLDL = Stiff/Straight Leg Deadlift. Your legs don't have to be straight, but they should remain still throughout the movement. I personally prefer a slight bend. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...gDeadlift.html

Zerchers = Squats while holding the bar in the crook of your arm. http://www.purekracht.nl/menu_items/...uat-Finish.jpg

Don't worry about the cable crossovers, I'm actually surprised to hear a powerlifter recommend them since most don't focus on chest.

Depending on your level of experience/strength, you don't need a "powerlifting" routine in order to get stronger. Keep that in mind.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    SLDL = Stiff/Straight Leg Deadlift. Your legs don't have to be straight, but they should remain still throughout the movement. I personally prefer a slight bend. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...gDeadlift.html

Zerchers = Squats while holding the bar in the crook of your arm. http://www.purekracht.nl/menu_items/...uat-Finish.jpg

Don't worry about the cable crossovers, I'm actually surprised to hear a powerlifter recommend them since most don't focus on chest.

Depending on your level of experience/strength, you don't need a "powerlifting" routine in order to get stronger. Keep that in mind.
    I shoulda used common bodybuilding knowledge to figure out the SLDLs lol. Zerchers look kinda painful, but I can handle it. I'm tough.

Thank you very much for the help. I appreciate it.

MOP

Wouldn't the Zercher have the same effect as a "normal" front squat?

Whats a front squat..... because im thinking they might be the same things by different names.

a front squat puts the bar on your shoulders and it doesnt his the posterior chain nearly as well, it hits the quads better though of course. a true front squat is often more weight than you can physically hold up and will rest with all its weight on your shoulders so it is more painful than a zercher.

zerchers are a great excercise, i did them in a workout for the first time today and they are amazing, it feels a little bit like your doing a deadlift but not quite, and it only hurts when your racking/unracking the bar because you focus so much within the set. if you do them on a full stomach youll blow chunks though, they are really tough on your core.

Quote Originally Posted by jack_of_all
    a front squat puts the bar on your shoulders and it doesnt his the posterior chain nearly as well, it hits the quads better though of course. a true front squat is often more weight than you can physically hold up and will rest with all its weight on your shoulders so it is more painful than a zercher.

zerchers are a great excercise, i did them in a workout for the first time today and they are amazing, it feels a little bit like your doing a deadlift but not quite, and it only hurts when your racking/unracking the bar because you focus so much within the set. if you do them on a full stomach youll blow chunks though, they are really tough on your core.
    The only bad part of what you just said is that I don't have a squat rack...

MOP

What are the advantages of doing SLDLs over regular deadlifts?

More emphasis on hamstrings, but do both.
    Last edited by Anthony; 06-21-2005 at 09:27 AM.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Would it be wise to focus on the posterior chain for assistance on deadlift day, and more quad-dominant exercises on squat day?
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 06-21-2005 at 02:02 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

MOP, heres how you do zerchers w/o rack. two ways actually

1. zercher deadlift it off the floor and just do your squats.

pros: easy way to do this
    cons: can be hard to move alot of weight into position due to increased ROM, also, if your not highly flexible you can injure your back this way because youll probably round it.

2. deadlift it off the floor conventionally and stop at the top. begin to crouch down but hold the barbell against your leg and shrug it slightly to prevent it from slipping off the end of your knee. as you come down until your quads are parallell you can actually keep the barbell on top of your legs, try to stay a little high and work it forward if you need to in a second because you dont want it to be right over your kneecap. now, ONE ARM AT A TIME, put them under the bar. if you cant quite fit them through roll it forward slightly, but dont roll it too far forward. now just stand up and happy squatting.

pros: you arent limited by the weight that you can get into position once you get the hang of this, so its all about how much you can zercher squat(well, maybe on a max youd have some trouble, but even then i doubt it). this is very unlikely to cause an injury because even if it rolls towards you, its not gonna crush you if you topple backwards (which you would almost have to try to lose your balance backwards)

cons: none to speak of really, can be a little tricky when your learning it.

so there you go, thats how you squat without a rack.
    Last edited by jack_of_all; 06-21-2005 at 09:15 PM.

Thanks, jack_of_all! Very helpful. I thought of another way as well. I could have a makeshift squat rack, you know, something to just hold the bar in between sets. I start off picking the empty bar onto the makeshift squat rack, add the weight, and then do the zerchers. Then, I rest the bar on the makeshift rack in between sets. I also came up with the idea of making foam pads so as to comfort my arms while squatting.

MOP

i have a rack for dips that ive used to set the barbell on in between sets of military presses...but ive never tried to squat on it. i think it would break

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    since i've started lifting weights, i've always done SLDL's should I continue doing this? also on the front squats, you say that it rests on your shoulders is this regular squats? the ones behind your head on your shoulders and your stabilize with your arms?
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    I think some of the exercises he listed are not necessary for powerlifting, but I also think the setup is bad. Why have an arm day and why would it be the day before bench? That's what I want, sore arms on heavy bench day. Also, there is only one day of rest between heavy squats and deads. Usually if possible you would like something along the lines of Monday and Thursday for your squat/dead stuff and something similar for your bench days.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rodgers
    I think some of the exercises he listed are not necessary for powerlifting, but I also think the setup is bad. Why have an arm day and why would it be the day before bench? That's what I want, sore arms on heavy bench day. Also, there is only one day of rest between heavy squats and deads. Usually if possible you would like something along the lines of Monday and Thursday for your squat/dead stuff and something similar for your bench days.
    Thank you very much for that. I should've read more closely.

MOP

You said the guy who gave you this actually powerlifts? I see very little mentioned regarding core muscle groups. This is the first thing you should think about conditioning if you are going to get into powerlifting. SLDL will take care of much of the lower back needs, however, I'd add in some serious ab training. Not reps but weighted. You can do cable crunches, DB sidebends, or any other type of weighted crunch or straight-leg raise.

Second, I don't think I've ever heard of a powerlifter that has a dedicated grip day. If your grip isn't getting stronger in leaps and bounds when you deadlift, then I don't know wtf they are doing. Sure you can add in additional grip work, but to have a dedicated day for this seems ludicrous to me. Active recovery would be much better time spent.

As for the arms day on sunday, I can't fathom a single intelligent reason for it as Chris already said.

If I had looked at this routine without you saying it was for powerlifting, I would have guessed it was from some new member that had maybe 2 weeks of training under their belt, and had read a couple articles from Mens Health.
    Last edited by ElPietro; 07-04-2005 at 02:44 PM.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Here is something I recommended to another member on the board, and is what I use. Try this routine if you like and you WILL get stronger. This is an old school method, so it's proven:

Anyway, if you want to find out more about the principles, here is a great place to start:

http://jh4933.tripod.com/illinipowe...hool_method.htm

This is the routine we follow:

Sunday: Heavy Bench
    Tuesday: Squats
    Wednesday: Speed Bench
    Friday: Deadlift

Do roughly 2 or 3 assistance exercises, as well. These can include:

Bench - Incline DB's, Decline DB's, CG Bench, Weighted Dips
    Squat - ATF Squats, Box Squats, Squats w/ bands, Calf Raises, Glute Ham Raises, Leg Curls
    Dead - Rack Lockouts, Rack Squats, SLDL's, Shrugs, Good Mornings

Keep in mind, on days that you are going real heavy on the main exercises, go lighter on the assistance. Don't go heavy every single week on rack squats or you'll fry the CNS.

Also, feel free to throw in an arm/shoulder day if you like. I do, but I try to limit my volume and do only 2-3 sets per movement, 2-3 movements per part (tri's, bi's, and shoulders). Don't do it the day before deads or the day before heavy bench. Monday's would be okay.

I've attached the program for deads I have been following for the past 8 or 9 weeks, just to show you an example. Keep in mind that the max singles assume proper warmup and 2 or 3 work sets, heavy with low volume. I know it seems like it starts light, but thats to make sure your form is perfect before really taxing yourself in the later weeks where you're increasing 10-15lbs per week.

Good luck, bro.
    Last edited by Guido; 08-24-2006 at 09:28 AM.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

WOW! Thanks for all the help. I never expected this much! I'll check out that old school method, and maybe do a little more research on my own. ElPietro, is that Megatron from The Transformers as your avatar?

MOP

Yes.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    Yes.
    Cool. I collect Transformers items.

MOP

After all, they're more than meets the eye.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

I collect the souls of lost children.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Quote Originally Posted by ElPietro
    I collect the souls of lost children.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    After all, they're more than meets the eye.

LOL

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    ElPietro knows his shizzy, so are you like looking down on all the famous bodybuilders now or whats the case?
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]