The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Saw a trainer for first time

Was an interesting experience yesterday. Signed up for my one free training session at the gym I goto. Basically it was a sales presentation, that annoyed me.

First thing he did was measure my BF% which I've never had done before, so that was quite nice. 6'2" 205lbs at 15.2% BF. Thats 31lbs of fat and 174lbs of non-fat. He said my goal should be to stay at 205 and swap 10lbs of fat for 10lbs of muscle. That this will take a year to do. I don't believe that at all. Maybe a year to add 10lbs of muscle, but I've dropped from 288lbs to 205lbs in 10 months, so I can't see losing 10lbs of fat taking more than another 5-8 weeks.

He told me to warm up with some cardio to get my heart going and blood pumping. This seemed wrong to me. He then had me do lat pulldowns leaning way back. Didn't seem right to me either.

The other thing he had me do that I haven't done before is "drop sets". Inbetween sets he would lower the weight to about 1/2, and have me do 12-14 reps at the lower weight "while the blood was flowing". This just made my forearms ache.

We sat down and he went through how he will set me up with a workout that won't overtrain me. I told him I goto the gym 6 days a week, which probably is alittle low. 7-8 times a week is more accurate. He told me I'm overtraining and shouldn't be there for more than 3 times a week, 30 minutes a session. He said lifting should take no more than 30 minutes. He also drew a nice pyramid and showed how lifting is the most important, followed by cardio, then diet. I would put diet as the base, then lifting and cardio. He told me I'm not eating enough protein (uhh, had 290g yesterday, 250 the day before, is he drunk?)

Basically the guy seemed like an idiot trying to make a sales presentation and treating me like I was a fat chick. Kept saying "just think, if you skip out on one pizza a week, and 2-3 starbucks, you can easily afford this". I informed him that I don't eat that **** and haven't had pizza in probably 6 months. He wanted $36 a week, for 2 30 minute training sessions. No way I was going to pay that. He asked me if I rather keep working hard and be in the gym on Saturday morning, or be out on the lake. I told him I much rather be in the gym moving some weight than out frying in the sun. Probably not the normal answer.

Ohh well, that was my experience with a trainer. He got all pissed when I told him there was no way I would pay him to help. He gave me this rant how I'm not dedicated and won't get anywhere on my own. Yah, thats why I've lost 80+lbs, no motivation.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm glad to hear you figured it out on your own. Most personal trainers are out to make money and have no clue what they're talking about. My advice to you is to do the opposite of everything he said. Good work.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Perpetual Hunger
    Nice story Unreal
    22 - 5'9'' - 200 lb
    PR's - Squat 300 | Bench 225 | Deadlift 400 | BW 200
    "Squat Much"?

So out of the advice he gave me.

Drop sets? Yah or nah? WTF is the point of them?
    Warming up on treadmill/cardio machine? 8-10 minutes of incline walking is what he had me do? Good or bad?

Although, I think he may have a point you overtraining. 7-8 times a week is a bit much. Maybe that was good to lose weight, but remember--muscle is built OUT of the gym.

Warming up with some cardio isn't a bad idea--5 to 10 mins on the bike or 'mill.

(And is he a certified trainer? Whoever would say that lifting is more important than diet needs a head check.)
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Drop sets are great for getting worn out fast. If your goal is to lift light weights repeatedly, definitely do them. Otherwise, they're a waste of time.

Warm-up if you want to. But really not necessary as long as you don't jump right into heavy weight on your first set.

And unless the guy has some credentials (Has competed in bodybuilding, powerlifting, or has been successful in some physical activity like football or basketball) then he's probably not qualified to tell you anything.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Thats funny, all the trainers at my gym were dumbass's

I did go to LA Fitness with a buddy of mine, on a guest pass, it says sales presentation/tour required, the trainer flat out asked me if im here to check out the gym to join or here for the day. I thought this was cool since normally they try to sell you.
    Last edited by Unholy; 06-28-2005 at 09:06 AM.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

He had some pictures on the wall from 5-6 years ago when he was pretty ripped, but he didn't look all that special now.

7-8 times is alot, but I feel like I don't overtrain. I'm lucky to hit the same muscle every 6 days.

For example, this week
    Friday-Legs
    Saturday-Off
    Sunday-45 minute Morning Cardio (6 in morning), Chest/Tricep (around 4 in afternoon)
    Monday-40 minute Morning Cardio (5 in morning), Back
    Tuesday-Biceps/Abs in morning, maybe some cardio tonight if I'm bored
    Wed-Off
    Thursday-Morning Cardio/Afternoon Shoulders/Delts
    Friday-Legs

Too much? Thats 9 trips to the gym in a weeks time. I don't hit the same exercise muscle for about a week, so am I overtraining?

Not bad at all, Im an addict too, instead of doing billions of sets every nght i will go do one body part for 9-12 workign sets. Its quick and I enjoy getting in the gym as much as possible. It also lets you concentrate on which muscle you are doing.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

So cardio can only be done in the gym? Geez.

Actually, the advice that the trainer gave wasn't all bad. But he was selling something, so...

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

The gym is the one place I can go to get out of my stressful world. I enjoy being there. The only thing I think I maybe doing wrong or need to adjust is bring up the cals.

Now that you posted the workout, it doesn't seem so bad. I don't consider it "going to the gym" when doing cardio. To me, that phrase means lifting. That's why 7-8 times sounded like a lot. And it's good to have those off days.

Four days of cardio may be a bit much if you want to add muscle.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Its TOOOOO damn hot here in Phoenix to do much outdoors. The Gym has A/C. Every once and awhile I'll go running early in the morning when its only 85-90 out.

The advice the trainer gave was horrible, Drop sets are cool and protein never hurts, but showing lifts with bad form, saying that diet is not the most important thing in BBing is ******ed.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

If you are progressing, you're probably not overtraining. Everyone's work capacity is different and saying you're overtraining based on the amount you train is pretty ******ed. There is a point of diminishing returns, but you'll figure that out in time.
    Last edited by Anthony; 06-28-2005 at 09:26 AM.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Also throwing a hissy fit if your product or service doesnt sell is just down right unprofessional.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

I've been making great progress in my weight goals. My summer goal was to go from 220lbs to 200lbs by the end of summer. Not even 1/2 way through and I'm at 205lbs. So I readjusted my goal to 195lbs.

My lifts are still going up, but slowly. Starting some new lifts like squats that I've never done before. My chest is going no where fast. For the past 2-3 months I haven't been able to increase my flat bench. My incline dumb bell has gone up, but I still struggle on flat bench. I blame this on using a machine for the past 2-3 months. Switched to a machine so I could lift "harder" since I don't have a partner or workout buddy to spot me. Made gains on the machine, felt like I was making progress, go back to the flat bench, and can't lift more than 3 months ago. About 2 weeks ago (2 sessions worth) I switched from 3x10 to 3x7 with alittle more weight to see if that will help. I was going to do dumbbell flat bench next time to see how that feels.

LMAO good story

Stay away from the smith if you don't have an injury and plan on doing regular bench again.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Your stabilizers got weak from doing the machine. That's why you didn't improve on the flat bench. Stick with the BB and you'll see improvement eventually if you adjust your routine.

BTW, that guy had some good advice, but all in all, I wouldn't want his services considering he doesn't even know the basics.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    I don't think that the trainer was that off on the advice, and for the record- your routine is a 5 day routine. Don't count your cardio.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."