The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 weeks off

Wannabebig Member

2 weeks off

ever since i started working out 2 years ago, i've never gone two weeks without a good weight training session. unfortunately, though, i injured my back last week while squatting, and everyone's saying i'll have to hold off for two or three weeks. how bad will this kill? like i said, i've never had this happen before, so i don't know how much muscle i'll have lost by the time my back recovers. i'm still eating like a famished bear.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

rest it out 2 weeks is nothing major! keep eating
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    2 or 3 weeks shouldn't be too bad, so don't worry about it. It would almost be beneficial to have that bit of rest, but I'm sure once you get back on your training, you'll be back to normal within a week or so.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Wannabebig Member
    That's sucks to hear.

What happened, how did you injure your back? - Bad form?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acurreo
    That's sucks to hear.

What happened, how did you injure your back? - Bad form?

yeah, i apparently didn't flex my abs while squatting. somebody said that would've taken some stress off of my lower back.

Wannabebig Member
    glad to hear it won't hinder me too bad. how long does it take to lose everything?

Wannabebig Member
    Ouch.. i wouldnt be squating at all at the age. It's going to harm your growth.

Squats is one of the greatest exercises, its also one of the most dangerous. You dont want back problems in the future. My brother is going through that right now, and I'll tell you. It robbs you of your entire life.

Squats is one of the greatest exercises, its also one of the most dangerous. You dont want back problems in the future. My brother is going through that right now, and I'll tell you. It robbs you of your entire life.
    why? it's not going to harm your growth!

form is the key!
    Last edited by getfit; 06-27-2005 at 07:39 PM.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

shush.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wannabebig Member
    The kid's 15! Going through Puberty

The kid's 15! Going through Puberty
    and?

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Wannabebig Member
    He's gaining automatically.... Just focus on light resistance and eat really well.

Looks like he lifting 'for glory'. Control your ego son :P

yes eat very well and squat!

gain 50lbs-Anthony

If its only 2-3 then its nothin to worry about man. I took 2 weeks off and when i went back into the gym i was stronger than before.

LOL wow I don't know what that was about but...

It's actually been shown that lifting weights HELPS children grow (not that I'd make a 2 year old lift weights but starting around 8 I'd consider it). Remember that lifting weights causes increased growth hormone and testosterone levels but of course make sure you have good form and are balancing out the muscles you workout. Workout one muscle and not it's opposite (antagonist) and it'll mess up your body structure.

But yeah, make sure you eat a sh*tload and TAKE YOUR VITAMINS.

Oh yeah, and make sure you get enough sleep... at least like 8.5 hours. I know that whatever school you go to probably makes you wake up at like 7 AM and it's probably difficult for you to go to sleep before 11:30 PM or so but try your hardest to get enough sleep. It'll help you in school and help you a bunch with lifting.
    I'm in college and don't usually have to wake up until 11 at the earliest and I go to sleep around 2 AM (I swear that's how teenagers' natural sleeping patterns are). Of course now that it's summer I just sleep whenever I want hahahahhaha life is great.

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by mattanshrager
    ive read about two of your posts in wannabebig and im already sure to say you're a moron
    why is that moronic? lots of people can take a week or tow off and be stronger.
    when i have taken a week off fromt he gym. the 1st session back my strength is better.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

3:16
    He's gaining automatically.... Just focus on light resistance and eat really well.

Looks like he lifting 'for glory'. Control your ego son :P
    you get glory lifter at any age. so give a good reason why he can't lift heavy?

stunting his growth is not a real reason as this is a myth. if you use good form he should be fine. the younger you learn good form the better.

other sports like wrestling, american football all cause injuries but people do not stop there children playing those sports. But heavy weights seems to be far more dangerous in peoples eyes.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Taking a week or two off is not a big deal. Your body will appreciate the rest and as long as you watch your diet during your time off you will come back with virtually no loss. Muscle memory is a great thing- after a few days you will regain your pump.

As an example- I had to take 5-6 weeks off to recover from an appendectomy. I deflated some, sure, but I have been back at the gym not even a week yet, and I'm lifting extremely light weights this week (doc's orders) and I am already almost back to where I was before I had the surgery. 2 weeks is NOTHING to worry about at all.
    Last edited by TwiloMike; 06-28-2005 at 06:56 AM.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

People who DIET don't lose much in two weeks. Don't worry, you're not goona look like Tom Hanks in Castaway.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

ive read about two of your posts in wannabebig and im already sure to say you're a moron
    I'm with body. Now you shush and stop being so reactionary.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Who the hell are you to be calling me a moron? Everyone here is saying practically the same thing, that it wont affect his performance that much, from their own personal experience. And you come in and call me a moron out of nowhere without even stating your opinion on the topic? That sounds pretty moronic and immature to me...

Wannabebig Member
    great, now everyone's started to scare off my desire to lift heavy! i want facts, not opinions. my doctor said it was fine to start lifting at the age of twelve, as long as i kept all my reps at 14+. but after 3 years of going light i'm fed up so i've changed to 6 reps (sometimes even 4). another thing is that i don't have a trainer and i don't go to a gym, so how do i know if my form is correct? i've looked at exrx.net a million times, but i'm still not positive i'm doing everything PERFECTLY.

Wannabebig Member
    have i mentioned that i feel like a tub of butter right now?

yea its just psychological, if i miss a day or two of gym i feel like **** cause i don't have that high. I swear I though I was just turning to fat, I still get that feeling. I'm hooked on lifting.

you get this feeling when your there, they got that gay ass techno in the background which is ok i guess, but id rather listen to something else.
    Last edited by Pasha; 06-28-2005 at 12:12 PM.