Thread: Starting poundage on Arnies?

Starting poundage on Arnies?

Howdy all-
    Need some advice. I have been doing seated DB militarty presses for the past couple of months and it is time to switch up my shoulder routine. Right now my shoulders get their own day, Wed after bench and tri's on Monday and back and bi's on Tuesday. I have been doing sets of eight at 75's, ie a 75 pound DB in each hand, and that is about all the weight I can handle with good form right now on Seated DB Miliatry.

So my question was anyone have a suggestion on what I should start at for substituting Arnold presses in for my Seated DB military?I am going to start doing that today and was looking for some suggestions. I know the poundage will be less as Arnies have a fuller rom, so if anyone has some suggestions let me know.

Thanks guys and gals!!
    Victory belongs to the most persevering.
    Napoleon Bonaparte

I like weights. You know where you stand with them. Well, sometimes you're lying under them, trying not to let them crush you, but you see, you KNOW they'd crush you if they could. There's honesty.
    T. Campbell and Gisele Lagace

I would start with 50's and see how it feels. Go up from there. Arnies are awesome.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I find an crazy way of finding out what weight to do, is start lighter then you know you can handle, and work your way up. Concentrate on form while you do so as well. That way your first set with a brand new exercise that you've never done before won't be you trying to learn form and struggling to get out x number of reps.

That and you know you won't do something stupid like guess too high and end up hurting when it slips out of motion.

But then I'm weird. 45s-50s should be about right if you do 75s on shoulder press.
    LaLa