The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

bulking for a skinny kid

So I started lifting about 3 weeks ago, and am trying to bulk up. I am eating as much as I can, and have gone from 150 lbs to 156 lbs. in 3 weeks (this is with my sneakers on after I finish working out at the gym, so subtract a pound or two i guess). Anyway, I recieved some advice from a friend and want to confirm with you all if it is good advice. He said to continue eating a lot (including whole milk, breads, milkshakes, etc.) and lifting, until I hit 170 lbs. He said not to do any abs (he said fat will cover it anyway) or cardio while I am in this bulking phase. After I hit 170, I should start to do abs, cardio, and eat less. Do you all agree with this strategy (I am especially interested about whether or not I should work abs), and the 20 lbs of weight he said I should try and gain before I start to cut?

My workout to this point has been

Monday - Chest/triceps/abs
    Tuesday- Off
    Wednesday- Off
    Thursday - Legs/shoulders/abs
    Friday - Back/biceps/abs
    Saturday - Off
    Sunday - Off

thanks...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

That is ******ed, milkshake? not to do abs because they will be covered in fat? Your friend needs a good beatin'.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Wannabebig Member
    Well then what in particular is wrong with what that strategy. If I do in fact do abs, don't I still need to eat a lot of foods, even those high in fat, in order to gain weight, if I'm bulking?

why high in fat?
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Wannabebig Member
    just because I would need to gain weight. What is your opinion? What is the best method to bulk as far as routine (should i do abs or cardio?) and diet? Thanks.

Grasshoppa
    First of all, your friend gives shoddy advice. Doing "abs" does not make you lose bodyfat. If anything, a bulk is the best time to do abs in order to strengthen them and make them bigger so that they show easier when you diet down. When you do diet, doing the 100 crunches I'm sure your friend is telling you to do does not do anything. You cannot spot reduce by training a muscle endlessly.

To add, you should be doing weighted exercises for your abs, not the regular situps. Treat them like any other muscle on your body.
    Last edited by Shao-LiN; 06-28-2005 at 08:36 PM.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Wannabebig Member
    Ok so I will continue to do my regular abs exercise. I do 3-4 sets of leg raises and 3-4 sets of abs machine with my Monday and Friday workouts, and 3-4 sets of decline sit-ups and 3-4 sets of crunches with my Thursday workout. Is this okay?

In addition, what do you recommend as far as dieting goes? Everyone says to "eat eat eat" but are you suggesting I should still not consume much fat?

Lastly, when do I stop bulking and start cutting?

Thanks!

Eat whatever if you're skinny man lol. Eat Eat Eat, like you said.

Make sure you get a minimum of 1-1.5 times your bodyweight in protein.

Just because you eat more "fats" doesn't mean you will get fat...it all depends on your calories.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky8713
    Eat whatever if you're skinny man lol. Eat Eat Eat, like you said.

Just because you eat more "fats" doesn't mean you will get fat...it all depends on your calories.
    Yea so foods high in fat are okay, even necessary, while I'm bulking? (I'm trying to go for a ratio of 40/40/20 between protein, carbs, and fats).

So all of my friends advice was correct, minus the thing about not doing abs?

And is a 20 lb gain a good time to start cutting?

You should bulk untilll YOU feel you got to much fat and your ready to cut not in 20 lbs 30 lbs 5lbs its when you feel that its time to cut some fat off.

in grams...

Quote Originally Posted by spanky33
    in grams...
    For real? I've been taking in 200lbs of protein a day...

Lol sorry, you know what i meant

Quote Originally Posted by pinky8713
    For real? I've been taking in 200lbs of protein a day...

Lol sorry, you know what i meant
    hahah. thats funny. sorry not contributing anything useful, but that warrants a post.

ya man i know what you meant. just making sure new york star knows what you meant.
    Last edited by spanky33; 06-28-2005 at 09:24 PM.