Thread: The theory behind losing bodyfat.

The theory behind losing bodyfat.

I understand the principals behind the calorie deficit equals losing bodyfat but my question is .......

if you are on a maintenance amount of calories. Is it possible to still lose bodyfat because your body has no need to store any further calories due to eating clean and often.

Or is it simply the only way to lose bodyfat is due to a calorie defect?
    Last edited by Speci; 07-01-2005 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

Wannabebig Member
    Vey good question, I have been wondering the exact same thing...

"maintenance" changes day to day according to your activity level. If you are maintaiing your weight right now and then start adding heavy weight training 3 days /week. You will put yourself into a calorie deficit unless you also start eating more to offset the extra energy expenditure. Theoretically if you eat a high enough % of protein on this "maintenance" diet when starting training, you should be able to add muscle mass while still in a calorie deficit. Your body would use the extra fat you have as energy, and the protein you had eaten to rebuild muscle. Thus losing fat while gaining muscle. This is the holy grail though, good luck finding the balance.
    "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Current Stats:
    07-31-09 - 6'4" 220 lb.

...This, assuming you are lifting heavy. If you don't, your body will toss out the more metabolically "expensive" muscle and keep the metabolically cheaper fat.

Losing weight is caloric restriction.

Convincing your body to lose mostly fat involves lifting.

Cardio lets you eat a little bit more while you do this.