Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Skinny

Awesome pullin Rex

Awesome job with that deadlift, man. 3pps feels good, doesn't it? Looking strong, get some sleep!
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Mint
    ATF Back Squats
    165 x 5
    175 x 5
    185 x 5
    195 x 5
    205 x 5 ---- 4625
    Comments: Warm-up w/45, 115, 135. Putting five more pounds on the bar per set next session. That'll put my last set at 210 which should have me breaking some personal records. The 205 tonight went surprisingly well, much easier than I was expecting.

BB Row
    140 x 10
    145 x 10
    145 x 10
    Comments: These were pretty easy. Bumping to 145, 150, 155 for next session.

Flat Bench
    105 x 10
    115 x 10
    125 x 8
    Comments: lol. Just lol.

Total Work: 4625

Diet ok, sleep poor. Bodyweight still @ 161... I really haven't been taken my bulk all too seriously this year. And I've been sleeping poorly.

I hate squatting. Every time I'm supposed to squat I just want to skip it. I force myself anyway. Frankly its not so bad and by the end of the session I feel pretty damn good... I was dreading tonight's session and it turned out to be a good one, and much easier than I was expecting.

I really believe that squatting will work. I truly believe that it will allow me to obtain the size and strength that I'm looking for better than any other exercise. So I hate it, but I do it anway. Twice a week no less. Now I gotta start tricking myself into loving it!

Coke: Thanks man, would love to have both your size and strength.

Manveet: Thanks man! My original goal was to be able to do 125 x 5 on the OH Press by next January. Obviously I underestimated my ability to progress on that lift...

KevinStarke: Hey, thanks man!

Kiaran: Thanks man! Yeah, it sure does feel good to reach that little milestone.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

Strong squatting man, keep it up.

Nice job on hanging in there and going toe to toe with your squats...smooth workout Rex from beginning to end.

Mint
    Deadlifts
    warmup: w/overhand grip
    115 x 10
    155 x 8
    185 x 5
    225 x 3
    work: mixed grip
    270 x 10
    270 x 8
    290 x 5 ---- 6040
    Comments: First set went up easier than expected. Near failure by the end of the second and third sets. Bumping to a 275, 275, 295 progression. Gonna keep the volume low again... 5, 5 and 3 reps maybe.

Standing OH Press
    95 x 9
    100 x 7
    105 x 5 ---- 2080
    Comments: 105 x 5! and just missed 95 x 10. Couldn't lock out the last rep. Very pleased with my progress on this - gaining like a true noob. Bumping to 100, 105, 110!

Chin-Ups
    BW x 9
    BW x 6
    BW x 5 ---- 20
    Comments: Nada.

Total Work: 8140

Diet good, sleep ****. Excellent session tonight. Next time all three sets of the OH Press will be with 100 pounds or more (w00T) and the heavy set will be with 110 (Woo-mother****ing-T)! 110! 110. That's really not all that bad, in fact, its downright normal!

Deadlift was ace. Damn I'm so close to the coveted 300 mark...

Kevin, Coke: Thanks guys. One day I'm gonna squat 550 x 1 Olympic style. It may take 10 years, but I'm gonna do it. I hope you guys are still around, sharing your lifting exploits with me!
    Last edited by Rex; 01-26-2006 at 11:56 AM.

If you keep your sessions consistent, you'll have 500lb squats sooner than you think - ...ace workout man.
    Last edited by Coke; 01-26-2006 at 05:20 AM.

I hate squatting. Every time I'm supposed to squat I just want to skip it. I force myself anyway. Frankly its not so bad and by the end of the session I feel pretty damn good... I was dreading tonight's session and it turned out to be a good one, and much easier than I was expecting.
    No kidding. All I need is to watch a short clip of Ronnie squatting and I'm ready to go. I wonder what goes through his head on a squat day? lol.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Mint
    ATF Back Squats
    170 x 5
    180 x 5
    190 x 5
    200 x 5
    210 x 5 ---- 4625
    Comments: Warm-up w/45, 115, 135. Form was horrible tonight. Even during the warm-up and lower weight work sets. Somehow I got 210 x 5 which is where I wanted to be before taking some time off. In fact the 210 x 5 was much easier than I was anticipating... I think I have the raw power to do allot more, it's just my form that's holding me back.

BB Row
    145 x 10
    150 x 10
    155 x 10
    Comments: Form was ultra strict throughout. The last few reps of the last set were tough, otherwise these were pretty easy. Bumping to 150, 155, 160.

Flat Bench
    110 x 10
    115 x 10
    125 x 9
    Comments: Small improvement, no shoulder or elbow pain which is good. Bumping to 115, 120, 125. lol.

Total Work: 4750

Diet good, sleep is poop. Overall, the session tonight was a good one. Progress in all three lifts, PR in the Squat, making moves and doing everything needed to be sucessful. Despite it, I feel like ****. So I think it's time for a break. I'll probably take next week off, unless I just can't help myself come Monday.

First day of the school semester was Thursday... Calc and advanced physiology. Both classes were cool (geek) even though it was nothing but a sausage fest. I know Chem is going to be better though.

I need to write a ten page term paper for advanced physiology. Subject of our choice, I'm guessing I'm going to research and write about Testosterone.

Coke: God bless you man! Tonight I did 210 x 5... So 550-210=260. I need to add 260 pounds to my squat to reach my goal. [noob mode]Do you think if I start taking the Creatine I can do that by June[/noob mode]? lol

Manveet: No doubt bro! I'll tell ya what big Ron is thinking: "Light weight!"

You can do anything you want as far as the squats are concerned, or anything else for that matter, it's just going to take some time...making small improvements is what this is all about and you're doing just that overall bro.

Just keep at it man, eat big and lift big.

I hear you on not taking the bulk too seriously this year. I'm in the same boat. Listen to you body, and if a week off is what you need, then do it!
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

damn man...your deadlifts are looking great, as are the squats! You moved a heavy duty truck on deads day, in total volume..lol Looks like bench is coming back as well...good work Rex!

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Mint
    ATF Back Squats
    175 x 5
    185 x 5
    195 x 5
    205 x 5
    215 x 5 ---- 4625
    Comments: Decided to man the **** up and get my squat on. 215 x 5 is the PR I was looking for. Next session I'll do 195 x 5 x 5, and then I'll bump each set by five.

Standing OH Press
    100 x 7
    105 x 4
    110 x 3 ---- 1450
    Comments: Volume took a hit this session but 110 x 3 makes me happy.

Chin-Ups
    BW x 10
    BW x 7
    BW x 5 ---- 22
    Comments: Yeh!

Total Work: 6075

Diet alright, sleep improving a bit. Bodyweight is @ a skinny-fat 162.

I'm proud of tonights session. I'm tired, beat upon and the weight is only getting heavier. I would have been entirely justified in taking a week off at this point.

The mind always gives out before the body. Well **** that.

215 x 5 is a 5 pound PR. It's not much, but now I only need 285 more pounds to 500 lol

Coke: Much love bro. Your the man.

Kevin: Just might be the best advice I've heard all week.

Kiaran: We're in the same boat allright. It's called the progress boat! If we can keep this up we'll both get to where we're headed!

Patrick: Thanks bro, my favorite mod! Update your journal!!!
    Last edited by Rex; 02-04-2006 at 08:06 PM.

Nice pr on those squats man, special props for going atf on them all the time.

Damn! When the hell did you bust out the bigtime standing millies?

And great squats! I'm sooo far behind..lol

5/3/1 Journal

Mint
    Deadlifts
    warmup: w/overhand grip
    115 x 10
    155 x 8
    185 x 5
    225 x 3
    work: mixed grip
    275 x 10
    275 x 7
    295 x 5 ---- 6150
    Comments: Booyaka! I'm bumping to a 280, 280, 300 progression! I really went for broke with the deads tonight and it paid off. I'm finally going to be repping with 300 pounds.

Flat Bench
    115 x 10
    120 x 10
    125 x 8
    Comments: Warm-up w/ 85 and 105. Slight throbbing in my right elbow immediately after my first warm-up set, persisted throughout the remainder of my workout. Not sure why... Anway, going to bump to 120, 125, 130...

Total Work: 6150

Diet good, sleep ok. Still kinda sleeping poorly. I'm awfully tired and beat upon. Skipped BB Rows tonight, the deads were enough I think. Bench is the suck. I don't ****ing understand it. I really should be benching at least 165... Yet I'm struggling to get 125 for ten reps. Pretty frustrating.

Deads were sweat tonight. It took allot out of me... Saturday I'm going to go for another PR on the Squat, 220 x 5. I figure to go all out and then I'm taking a much needed week off.

Coke: Thanks bro!

Pat: Bigtime, huh? lol, thanks man, I needed a good laugh! I don't know but my millies are up around 30 pounds since December. I think the OH Squats and all the Back Squats have really strengthed my core, which is so important for the OH Press. Either that or all the pimp juice is paying off. Pimpin aint easy you know.
    Last edited by Rex; 02-02-2006 at 06:22 PM.

Pimpin sure as hell ain't easy, lol - but you are putting it down though with the way you are bringing it on, nice work.
    Last edited by Coke; 02-03-2006 at 04:43 AM.

Rex, if I can be so humble as to suggest for the bench..

start with a light warmup like...65

Rep that like 10 times..partly glose grip to get the tri's ready..

then shoot it up to 95 for like 4 reps, to get your CNS prepped..

then jump it up to 125 for 6-8 MAX

then go straight to 135 for 6-8 MAX

if you get that, take it up 10lbs more and continue..

as long as you're hitting this, then keep warming up with that 95, but start your work sets 10ls higher as you progress..

like 95 x 4, 135 x 8, 145 x 8, 155 x 8

I think you're doing a ton of reps on bench, and with only small increases in weight and you're wearing yourself out endurance-wise before you're beat strength-wise.

My bench went through the moon when I went small on the warmups, and hard on the work sets. I guess I just forced my body to adapt to the loading that I knew my frame was capable of.

And, in the end, if you want reps and total work numbers, rep it out on something lighter after you hit your higher weight sets.

Just a thought..if it made sense.

5/3/1 Journal

Rex, looks like you've had a series of great workouts. The squats and deads seem to be moving right along. I wanna see a 3pps dead and a 2pps squat very soon!
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Mint
    ATF Back Squats
    185 x 5
    185 x 5
    200 x 5
    210 x 5
    220 x 5 ---- 5000
    Comments: 220 x 5 (!), and I earned it. That's all I have to say about that.

Standing OH Press
    100 x 6
    105 x 5
    110 x 4 ---- 1565

Chin-Ups
    BW x 10
    BW x 6
    BW x 5 ---- 21

Total Work: 6565

Diet good, sleep could be much better. I'd love to get nine uninterrupted hours of beauty sleep. God knows I need it, ugly son of a bitch that I am.

And by ugly I mean 162 pounds of balding skinny fatness all up in your area.

Anyway, letís just say that my back is relatively strong. I proved that tonight during the set of 220 ATF Goodmornings. I mean back squats.

Nah, it wasnít that bad. I joke, I joke. I kid, I kid.

Coke: Thanks bro.

Pat: Your advice is much appreciated, and much needed! Man, that's what these journals are here for. So you're saying forget about that 120, 125 ****. Start at 130, then go to 140, and then try for 150? Or something like that? My best bench is only 140 x 5. !!!

Alright... next time around my last warm-up set will be 105 x 5 and work sets @ 130, 140, 140.. See how that goes.

Manveet: Yeah man, thanks. I'm awfully close to reaching those milestones... I can't wait bro!

GREAT job on the squats, Rizzex..

I'm only saying that you're burning too much energy on warmups, and the warmups you're doing are way too close in poundage to your working sets.

Yours were something like ....85 and 105 for warmup sets, then on to 125 for work.

I do the bar or 65 for 20 reps at varying speed, with 10 as wide and 10 as close grip to warm up the triceps.

Then, I do 4 reps of 95 to get the feel of something heavier.

Then (in the case of last workout), straight up to 135 x 8, 170 x 8, 190 x 3 ( was going for a 190 x 1).

Since I got the 170, I know it's time to move my first work set up to 145 instead of 135. I don't like to have much more than a 30lb gap between my first and second sets. Also, once I get my strength back up I'll have 3 8-rep sets unless I'm going for a 1rm. I'm still gauging where I'm at, so it's gonna look funny for another month or so. I ws up to a 190 x 8 and 195 x 5 in November, so I expect to be in the range again if not better. Once I'm repping over 200 for 8, I'll increase the 4 rep warmup to something like 115, as well as increasing the 20 rep warmup to something a bit higher. I have experimented and experimented, and I have the most workable strength when I prepare for work sets like this.

ANYWAY..lol.....If I was you, I'd do something like this...

bar x 15 (7 close, 7 wide...sloooooow and stretchy)
    85 x 4 (also slow..stretch really good)
    125 x 6-8 (whichever you prefer)
    135 x up to 6-8..whatever you get..don't get discouraged right away
    if you get the 135 for a full set, bring it up 5lbs from there..unless you totally smoke it, then bring it up to 145. I think if you get used to not sapping your strength pumping up so much with warmups, you'll see signifigant strength gains in a short period of time.

With wht you're pulling and squatting, I'd expect your 1rm to be at least 185 if not 205.

5/3/1 Journal

Rexy Rex is flexing and earning it on the atf squats and throughout -

Mint
    Back in the saddle! Yee-ha!

ATF Back Squats
    190 x 5
    190 x 5
    190 x 5
    190 x 5
    190 x 5 ---- 4750
    Comments: w/up: 45, 45, 95, 135. These were pretty easy throughout. Still a nervous wreck though. Gotta find a way to overcome that ****.

Flat Bench
    130 x 8
    140 x 5
    140 x 4 ---- 2300
    Comments: w/up: 65, 85, 105. Not too bad, this is were I was at before the injury. No pain and I feel pretty confident.

BB Row
    155 x 10
    175 x 8 ---- 2950
    Comments: 175 x 8 matches my best ever. Form was sloppy, no grip problems.

Total Work: 10, 000

Diet off, sleep still ****ty. I'm just not sleeping deeply which is frustrating. My bodyweight is at a solid 162. Every single measurement is up, even my forearms and calfs. My waist is still at 33 inches. My thigh is up an inch and a half! Going to continue bulking to 165. Slowly.

My routine will continue to focus on the Back Squat. I really like the way it's making my body look. Mondays will be five sets of five with a set weight. On Fridays I will work up to one max set of five, with 15 pound increments between sets. My best is 200 x 5 x 5 and 220 x 5. I plan on making some PR's during week four (205 x 5 x 5 and 225 x 5) and hopefully weeks five and six. When I get stuck I'm going to dop the volume down to 3 x 3 for a few weeks. This will be an eight or nine week cycle.

Coke, Pat: Thanks guys. Pat, I switched up the warm-up a bit. Time will tell. Thanks for the advice.

Good work, Red. Those rows keep kickin' ass!

I think warmups wil be key for you on bench. I notice that fatigue affects my bench strengthmore than just about anything.

5/3/1 Journal