Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Skinny

Good job with the 5 x 5 squats, adding 1.5 inches to those legs are ace...super plans for the weeks ahead.

Squats are becoming very impressive, Rex. Great work with the last bench session too. I think the nervousness on squats will eventually burn itself out. Don't worry about it. Rows are impressive too, as always.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Mint
    Deadlifts
    warmup: w/overhand grip
    115 x 10
    155 x 8
    185 x 5
    225 x 3
    work: mixed grip
    280 x 10
    280 x 7
    300 x 3 ---- 5660
    Comments: I was basically @ failure during reps 8, 9, and 10 of set one. I pulled them up on sheer willpower. Reps six and seven of set two was more of the same. Tough going. I failed on rep four of set three. I couldn't even pull it off the ground. For next week I'm going with a 285, 285, 300 progression. As has worked so well in the past, I'm going to keep the intensity high and drop down the volume. Three sets of five should do the trick.

Standing OH Press
    100 x 7
    105 x 5
    110 x 3
    115 x 1 ---- 1670
    Comments: Nada.

Chin-Ups
    BW x 10
    BW x 7
    BW x 5 ---- 22
    Comments: Nada.

Total Work: 7, 352

Diet ok, sleep poor. This session took it out of me - mentally, not as much physically. It's always mental.

I'm going up to Vermont for some skiing/snowboarding this weekend. Me and a large group of friends - about 15 or so - rented a house. I'm leaving Friday at noon. It's definitely going to be allot of fun.

Meanwhile I'm really just trying to figure out how I'm going to fit in Friday's squat session. I've got math class from 8 - 10 am. I'm hoping to fit in the session right after school... we'll see.

The olypics is totally bad-ass. In case there was any doubt. There's something about those woman speed-skaters prolly those big ole sexy legs. The ski-girls aint so bad either. And don't even get me started on the figure skaters. Ah... women.

Pat: You called me Red.

Cokemonster: thanks bro.

Kiaran: You are too kind my friend.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

The combination of sheer willpower, high intensity and lower volume will definitely continue to do the trick with your deads bro...nice effort. Have a great time on the snowboarding/ski trip this weekend, that sounds awesome!!

Mint
    ATF Back Squats
    150 x 5
    165 x 5
    180 x 5
    195 x 5
    210 x 5 ---- 4500
    Comments: w/up: 45, 45, 95, 135. I was expecting this to be pretty easy, and it was, until the last set. The 210 x 5 was much tougher than I was anticipating. I've got some pain in my calves and in my right knee...

Flat Bench
    130 x 10
    140 x 5
    140 x 4 ---- 2560
    Comments: w/up: 65, 85, 105. Not so bad. 130 x 10 had me excited. Bumping to 135, 140, 140.

DB Row
    92 x 9
    92 x 10 ---- 1748
    Comments: I did NOT want to do BB Rows tonight. Instead I went with the DB Rows, and now I'm reminded why I prefer BB rows. I hate DB Rows. But they work, no doubt. 92 x 10 is a PR, next time (if there even is a next time) I'll give 97 pounds a try.

Total Work: 8, 808

Diet good, sleep ok. I wanted to get this session in before the trip. I didn't want to squat right after last nights deads but figured now or never. Plus I thought tonight's squatting would be relatively easy. It was. The last set was MUCH tougher than I was expecting though. The last rep was real slow, and rep three .. I was falling forward.

So now I'm off skiing. I'll probably spend the next three days staying up all night without eating, sustaining life on poker and booze. It basically negates everything I did tonight. Oh well. Let the games begin.

Coke: Thanks man, the trip is going to be off the hook for sure.

Pulled off a great workout before the trip, nice job bro.

LOL..think of this weekend as a short cutting cycle!

I have another suggestion..

I've read and read that deadlifts are most beneficial with single rep sets in the higher poundages. I was a guy who was doing 45+ reps per deadlift session, but when I joined the gym I decided to go with the heavy singles.

It's awesome..

Once I get over 225, everything is a single. I feel stonger, my back feels better, and it's physically more enhausting to just pull a huge amount of weight ONE time, versus repping something lighter for 8+.

I think you're capable of some big pulls, based on the reps you're pulling now. You should give heavy singles a try, and see how it goes. I think you'll be blown away and the psychological benefits of seeing those numbers go up is FANTASTIC.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Awesome deadlifting and squats man.

In case you haven't noticed, your deadlift and squat seem to be feeding each other very nicely. Keep them rolling, man. Awesome numbers and have a good snowboarding/skiing trip.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Mint
    Deadlifts
    115 x 10
    155 x 8
    185 x 5
    225 x 3
    285 x 5
    285 x 5
    300 x 5 ---- 4350
    Comments: Relatively easy session with the decrease in volume. 300 x 5 is a nice little PR - a goal I've long awaited. Frankly, it's a bit anti-climatic and really no big deal. Just one more small step forward in this long journey.

I'm going to keep the volume down again next week, but I'm bumping the last set to 305. I'd like to pull 285 x 7, 285 x 5, 305 x 3.

Standing OH Press
    100 x 8
    105 x 7
    110 x 4 ---- 1975
    Comments: Nice progress tonight, might be because of the decrease in volume on the deadlifts.

Chin-Ups
    BW x 10
    BW x 7
    BW x 5 ---- 22
    Comments: I don't think I'm progressing on this movement the way I should be.... over the past three months I've gained four pounds and added three reps over the three sets. Feels like a waste of time. I think I'm going to start adding weight and doing these for low reps.

Total Work: 6, 347

Diet better, sleep better. The trip was awesome even though I lost three pounds, primarily water. Snowboarding was awesome, drinking was awesome, everything was awesome. But I'm paying for that awesomeness now. I feel like ****, physically and mentally. Too much drinking and partying tends to do that to me.

So I missed Monday's workout (didn't get home until nine pm + I was the one driving - 6 or so hours on the road - yawn). Didn't feel like lifting tonight either. Skipped out of class on Tuesday... So I'm trying to get my head screwed back on. I'm glad I hit the weights tonight. There's something about picking that bar off the ground that just makes sense.

Coke, Pat, Kevin, Kiaran: Yo, thanks for the support fellas. Seriously. It means allot. I'll check you guys out soon enough.

Chins are cool but don't really serve you well once you get moving the way you are, nice session though my man with them shoulders presses and props on the pr on those deads...knew you'd have a great time on your trip.
    Last edited by Coke; 02-23-2006 at 04:34 AM.

You ARE catching up millies. I shall overcome!

Everyone has to cut loose now and again, dude..it just reminds you what lifting does for us.

5/3/1 Journal

Sometimes it's very hard to get back into the gym after a fun/relaxing vacation. Glad you held the line and hit the program again. Don't despair on the chins, dude. What you need right now is consitancy with the chins. This is what worked for me: on the day you do your chins, do 50 of them, as many sets as it takes to get you there. When I started, I did something like 10/8/5/5/4/3/3/3/3/2/2/2 to reach 50, lol. After a few weeks, it got much better, and now I can hit 5 sets of 10 no problem. Try it out, bro.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Just perusing through your journal Rex. I have to say you are making some good progress with the squats and OH presses.

Have you ever thought about doing a traditional 5X5 routine ala Bill Starr or Madcow? It's probably something I'm going to try once I get finished my dieting.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Mint
    So I came down with the flu pretty damn bad and missed over a week of lifting. Four sessions in total but frankly it feels like months. It was pretty damn hard for me to gather the mental fortitude that would allow me to get back in the game. Last night I drew the line in the sand, hunkered down and did what it is that I do. It feels good to be back in it. Last nights session was nothing spectacular, just one in many small steps forward.

ATF Back Squats
    w/up: 45, 45, 95, 135
    195 x 5
    195 x 5
    195 x 5
    195 x 5
    195 x 5 ---- 4875
    Comments: Boy, these felt allot heavier than they should have. I'm going to stick to the basic outline of my routine but I'm going to hold the weight here for another week to allow my strength to catch up a bit. On Saturday I'll work up to a max set of 215 x 5; then repeat 195 x 5 x 5 on ect...

Flat Bench
    w/up: 65, 85, 105
    135 x 7
    140 x 5
    145 x 3 ---- 2080
    Comments: I'm actually pleased by this. I can't recall ever putting more than 140 on the bar during the bench press, so 145 for a trip is cool. I tried for four but ended up with the bar stuck on my chest, rolling it down the length of my body.

Chin-Ups
    BW x 7
    BW x 7
    BW x 5
    BW x 4
    BW x 4
    BW x 3 ---- 30
    Comments: I've always wanted to do 30 in three sets; tonight I did 30 in 6. I'm just going to continue to work chinups hard, mixing it up as much as I can with weight and reps until I find something that works.

I'm a big believer in the value of this exercise as it really works so many of the muscles that I find to be important. Lats, Forearms, ect...

Diet ok, sleep much improved.

Another one of my boys is getting married. His engagement party is April 7. Out of all my childhood friends I'm the only one still single. So basically I'll be at this party, sitting at a table with my friends and their wives by myself. It's a bit strange, but this is what makes it even stranger:

An ex-girlfriend of mine is now dating my friend Angel. They've been dating since we broke up; I guess it's close to a year now. Of course, its just my luck to learn that not only will Angel be attending this party with my ex, but they'll also be sitting at the same table as me.

So there I'll be, by myself, with no date, sitting at a table with my ex-girlfriend (it was a strange break-up) who is dating one of my childhood friends. Joy.

In better news, I got a ninety-****ing-six on my first calculus test. Technically I didn't get anything wrong. So why not 100? Well, cause the answer was x=2. I put 2. lol. I didn't even argue they guy. A 96 isn't really substanstially different than 100.

Coke: Progress on the chins are slow indeed but I've decided to take Kiarans advice and I'm going to stick with them.

mrelwooddowd: It sounds like you guys had an awesome time at the Arnold. I hope I can go next year.

Kiaran: Thanks for the excellent advice with the chins. I'm going to give it a shot, but I'm aiming for 30 reps.... I'll be there all damn day trying for 50! I'll see how this goes though, it's pretty encouraging.

Manveet: Thanks man. The weight I've been able to handle on the Squat, OH Press and Deadlift has increased allot the past few months. That's why I haven't really given much thought to a traditional Bill Starr 5x5. If it's not broke, why fix it, you know?

Actually my current routine is in many ways very similar to Bill Starr's 5x5. Certainly in terms of exercise selection and frequency. Over the next few months I'll be working the bench press consistently again and hope to see some good progress. But I'm ready to switch to a 5x5 protocol on the bench and any other exercise if need be.

There's someone out there better to sex Rex, it's her loss but gonna be real awkward for all at the party...and professor should've just given you the 100%, that is complete bs imo. Nice session, keep stepping bro no matter what.
    Last edited by Coke; 03-08-2006 at 01:06 PM.

Workout looks solid, bro. Sorry to hear you got sick and that sucks ass about the X-GF being at the same table with you guys. I'm sure that will be a real comfortable situation for all Stick with what works for you in the iron game, man. Your bench is improving, so whatever you are doing, keep it up!
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Mint
    Deadlifts
    115 x 10
    155 x 8
    185 x 5
    225 x 3
    285 x 5
    285 x 5
    305 x 3 ---- 3765
    Comments: Even the 285 felt heavy. I'm going to stay here for a bit, I don't feel ready to take it to the next level yet.

Standing OH Press
    100 x 9
    105 x 7
    110 x 3 ---- 1965
    Comments: Going to stay here for one more week and try to get 100 x 10.

Chin-Ups
    BW x 7
    BW x 6
    BW x 5 ---- 18
    Comments: Bah.

Diet good, sleep good. Bodyweight at 163. Three months into the new year and I really haven't gained any more weight. So my bulk has kinda stalled out. At this point I need over 3000 cals a day to gain and I'm really not prepared to start shoving food down my face.

So I've decided to stop counting calories for a bit. My tendency is to undereat, and if history is any indicator of future performance if I'm not counting calories I'll probably end up in a calorie deficit. I'm not "officially" ending the bulk, nor am I officially cutting, I'm just going to take it easy and see what happens.

Pretty ****ty session last night. Very lackluster. Everything felt heavy and I'm kinda dragging my ass along. No aggression, little confidence. Bah.

Coke, Kiaran: Thanks guys. It's going to be weird, no doubt. My friend told me that I should flip the script on them: walk into the place and give her a big hug and kiss as if nothing had ever happened... lol.

You could easily flip it on'em as you don't appear to be holding much ill will, at least not in an obvious way here.

I have a good appetite but will lose a 1/2lb here and there if I don't watch it, may want to add a weight gain/protein drink sometimes to help out...staying right where you're at on the deads and shoulder presses is the way to go for now, these will be old numbers soon though bro.

Is that bench going up? What?

I like it.

5/3/1 Journal

Mint
    ATF Back Squats
    w/up: 45, 45, 95, 135
    195 x 5
    195 x 5
    195 x 5 ---- 2925
    Comments: Pain in my left calf + a myriad of other probably lame excuses led me to cut this short after just three sets.

Flat Bench
    w/up: 65, 85, 105
    135 x 7
    140 x 4
    145 x 2 ---- 1795
    Comments: Bleh.

Chin-Ups
    BW x 8
    BW x 7
    BW x 5
    BW x 4
    BW x 4
    BW x 3 ---- 31
    Comments: bah.

Sleep was MINT. My current diet is certainly putting me in a energy deficit, which is ok.

Another absolutely **** session. Once I started lifting all I wanted to do is stop. I really don't feel like busting my ass the way I need to - particularly on the squats, which are ****ing KILLING ME.

I hate to say it but I'm giving myself permission to kinda just half ass it for a bit. At least until my motivation/passion comes back.

Coke: Thanks my man. I need to just stay consistent for a bit, doing something - even if it's light - is better than doing nothing.

Elwoody: Thanks man. It's not going to happen overnight, but I'll get there eventually.

Nothing from nothing is right bro, glad to see you do something lighter than to bring things to a halt...nice showing.

Excellent bench work, Rex. Pushing 135 for seven reps is looking very nice. Keep the workouts coming, push through the ****ty ones. Sometimes you just hit a slump and got to work through it
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Good stuff, Rex..

The bench is coming along nicely, and you're always the pullup/chinup master!

Were you cramping in the calf? I swear I was one big knotted muscle at the gym the other night. It was ridiculous!

5/3/1 Journal

Mint
    Deadlifts
    115 x 10
    155 x 8
    185 x 5
    225 x 3
    285 x 6
    285 x 5
    305 x 3 ---- 4050
    Comments: The first set got real heavy after five, and the 305 felt like 505! Needless to say I'm staying here for another week. Maybe I'll go for 285 x 7 but I'm not counting on it. It's a **** attitude I guess, I figure it'll pass I just got to lift through it.

Standing OH Press
    100 x 10
    105 x 7
    110 x 5 ---- 2285
    Comments: Not so bad, 110 x 5 is kinda cool. I'm going to bump the weights to 105, 110, 115.

Chin-Ups
    BW x 8
    BW x 7
    BW x 6 ---- 21
    Comments: Better than last time.

Total Work: 6335

Diet fine, sleep good. Going through a tough little patch in terms of working out. I may back off the squats and deadlifts for a bit in order to rejuvinate my battery - mentally and physically. In the meantime I'm going to just lift through it; hopefully I can get in another session before the week is over.

**** it. I'm lifting tomorrow night no matter what. Even if I have to squat with 135 for five sets of five. It don't matter.

Coke: Nothing from nothing. It aint gonna happen bro. Thanks for always having the good word up in here man.

Kiaran, mrelwooddowd: Thanks guys, but the ****ing bench work is pathetic. I think I'm just destined to be a very slow gainer on the bench press. I'm not going to let that stop me though. Let's see what I can do tomorrow.