The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Skinny

PRs all over the place, nice workout Rex. Keep bumping up the weights.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Rex is on the rise with it...super arm session.
    Last edited by Coke; 08-23-2005 at 05:15 AM.

Biceps seem to be a strong point for you. That's probably part of the reason your rows are up there, since they're a biceps-assisted movement. That was a good-lookin' workout for sure, man.

No one covets my squat..cept maybe the ladies..lol.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Mint
    I was so dissappointed with my performance yesterday that I didn't even log the workout on this here intraweb. I rectify.

Deadlifts
    warmup: w/overhand grip
    115 x 10
    155 x 8
    185 x 5
    215 x 3
    work: w/mixed grip
    235 x 5
    235 x 5
    235 x 2 ---- 2820
    comments: Pathetic. First time doing deads in a month but there's no good excuse for such a pathetic performance. 235 x 2. What the **** is that?

Pull-Ups
    10 x 4
    10 x 4
    10 x 4 ---- 120
    Comments: Some weighted pull-ups after the deads. Just practice.

Diet good, sleep could be better. I really expect more that what I was able to give today. My form was extremely sloppy and mentally I was intimidated. **** it. This is my starting point and next week I'll try for three sets of five using 235. I need to concentrate on form... hips back and driving w/my legs. Way too much back in the movement.

Chest in a bit.

MM, Coke, Patrick: Thanks guys. The encouragement and interest is motivating.
    Last edited by Rex; 08-24-2005 at 11:15 AM.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

Props for just doing deads, Rex. You might look into getting chalk to improve grip; grip issues can really slay your ability to dead for reps. I'm kind of thinking about going down and doing deads right now, even though today is an off day.

Anyway, that workout will look better next time.

Mint
    Flat Bench
    warm-up: 65 x 12, 85 x 8, 105 x 5, 115 x 3
    work:
    140 x 3
    130 x 8
    140 x 3
    130 x 5 ---- 2600
    Comments: Plus one rep from last week. Slow progress is better than no progress. These are hurting my shoulders and arms. Particularly unracking the weight.

Incline Bench
    120 x 7
    115 x 8
    115 x 6 ---- 2450
    Comments: Plus two reps. But I'm hurting from the flat bench. I'm not sure why, if I should work through the pain, or what.

Diet fine, sleep fine. Overall blah. The lifting was nothing special today.

MM: I went looking for chalk at a few local sport stores but couldn't find any. It's not a bad idea. I guess I'm going to have to buy it from an online dealer or something.

I got my chalk from sport's authority for like $2. You should be able to find it without buying online.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex
    .. Slow progress is better than no progress.
    Well said, that means you will get to where you want to go no matter how slow. Doing good bench work bro, so good that its time to ask for someone to spot next time out -

I think those deads look pretty good, Rex. You're in the vicinity of the coveted 300 pull. I'd wager that it was just grip from the layoff that was killing you. No biggie--it comes back fast.

Benching looks nice as well. I don't think there's a day that goes by that my front delts aren't either sore, or extremely tight. I think it even affects my flexibility when reaching back to hold the bar for squats.

5/3/1 Journal

Mint
    First off, you guys are the ****ing best. Brings a damn tear to my eye, all this support.

You know, we're all different ages, sizes, strengths... Different upbringings, education, experience... We come from different parts of the country... Different races and religions. But we have one damn thing in common. We know what it's like to push ourselves to the absolute ****ing limit, everyday. We don't surrender, we don't give in. Everyday we get a little bit better than we were.

And that's what we have in common. We know what it's like to feel a ton of weight on our backs, sometimes its the the weight of the world, but we're gonna squat it anyway. And when the going gets tough... Well, **** it. One more rep.

Anyway. Off the soapbox! Today was back day.

Pull-Ups
    BW x 10
    BW x 8
    BW x 7 ---- 25
    Comments: Nice. First time ever getting ten reps and I'm pretty ****ing siked about that. That extra pull-up work is really paying off. I've added four more reps in two weeks and that's unprecedented.

I attribute that to doing pullups an extra day during the week, weighted, and not taken to failure.

Barbell Rows
    160 x 10
    160 x 8
    160 x 8 ---- 4160
    Comments: 160 x 10(!). Held onto the bar for dear life and got my ten reps. Next week I'll row with 165.

Dumbell Rows
    77 x 7.5
    77 x 6 ---- 1040
    Comments: Guess what? I hate these.

Total work: 5225

Diet great, sleep ok. Ate a relative ton yesterday. Tremendous progress today. It seams like everytime I BB Row I manage another rep or two, or I'm able to throw more weight on the bar. Today I really attacked the bar, no doubts, and it payed off.

MM: Man, I looked all over the damn place today and couldn't find any, anywhere. I'm going to order it online. Super Squats came today BTW. Cool little book, I'll probably give it a try in October.

Coke: I'm in this until I'm stronger than you Coke! Though by then you'll be as strong as Ed Coan :-)

Patrick: Shoulders are such a weak point for me. My Overhead Press is pretty poor, and I suspect shoulders are the weak link in my bench.
    Last edited by Rex; 08-25-2005 at 08:49 PM.

Good looking workout Rex. Way to be on the pullups.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex
    You know, we're all different ages, sizes, strengths... Different upbringings, education, experience... We come from different parts of the country... Different races and religions. But we have one damn thing in common. We know what it's like to push ourselves to the absolute ****ing limit, everyday. We don't surrender, we don't give in. Everyday we get a little bit better than we were.

And that's what we have in common. We know what it's like to feel a ton of weight on our backs, sometimes its the the weight of the world, but we're gonna squat it anyway. And when the going gets tough... Well, **** it. One more rep.
    Man, that is damn good and so true...gonna keep it -
    ...the pullups, bb and db rows are all very nice Rex.

Your rowing baffles and intimidates me...lol.

What made you leave Wall Street?

5/3/1 Journal

Mint
    Hammer Curls
    37 x 10
    37 x 10
    37 x 7 ---- 999
    Comments: Not too crazy w/ my form today. Kinda sloppy. Got 37 x 10(!), twice. Next week I'll give the 40 pounders a try.

Close Grip Bench Press
    115 x 9
    115 x 7
    115 x 6 ---- 2530
    Comments: Nada.

BB Curls
    75 x 7
    70 x 7 ---- 1015
    Comments: Not complaining.

Bench Dips
    95 x 10
    95 x 8
    95 x 7 ---- 2375
    Comments: 25 reps over three sets. Ok.

Total Work: 6919

Diet good, sleep was the suck. Today was the first day of the new school semester so I woke up at 7. For me this is much early. Organic Chemistry at 8 Am. Yay.

Todays session was fine. Total work took a big hit but it was bound to happen. I keep upping the intensity so eventually something has to give.

I was reading an article by Dan John over at T-nation:
    "Olympic wrestling champ, Dan Gable. Dan said, "If it's important, do it every day. If it isn't, don't do it at all." Now, I have to leave it to each and every person to decide what's important, but this statement certainly is a challenge.

I always use a simple question to clarify your answer to what's important. Let's say, for some reason, you found you could only train for a total of 45 minutes a week. Maybe you became a political prisoner or something. You'll only be able to get in three workouts of 15 minutes each. What will you do? Think this through; this is going to be the core to the intensification program."

Well, the very first thing that came into my head was pull-ups....

MM, Coke: Thanks guys.

Patrick: Ever see the movie boiler room? ... Well, I haven't! But it's not far from the truth. The stress of making an unethical living made it hard to sleep at night.

I see the dudes in prison doing a lot of pullups and dips, but maybe that's because no one can crush your neck with a mounted pullup or dip station? lol

Barbell Curls are looking good, along with the rest of it. Like I said before, I think strong biceps is what's helping you with those super-rows. It's a heavily biceps-assisted movement.

My father-in-law has a PhD in Organic Chemistry from Georgia Tech. He's a bigwhig with Dow these days, with over 40 patents to his credit--including the main chemical used to de-ice plane wings..lol. Remember that next time you fly in winter!

You going into chemistry, or medicine?
    Last edited by Patz; 08-29-2005 at 10:23 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

I bet Wall Street was hectic as hell but U learned a lot though - good luck at school...fine effort for those arms bro.

Mint
    Deadlifts
    warmup: w/overhand grip
    115 x 10
    155 x 8
    185 x 5
    215 x 3
    work: w/mixed grip
    235 x 4
    255 x 1
    265 x 1 ---- 1470
    Comments: Pretty dissapointed. I could and should be pulling allot more than this. I'm trying to use more leg drive and it's just not working out. I'm learning that my hams are allot weaker than I thought. I think previously I used to just muscle the weight up with my back... I think I might lower the weight a bit, practice getting my legs more involved.

Pull-Ups
    10 x 5
    10 x 4
    10 x 4 ---- 130
    Comments: Pronated grip, not done to failure.

Total Work:1600

Diet perfect, sleep good. Overslept and was late for cell bio @ 9:00 am today. Hot little chicks everywhere!

Patrick: A friend that I grew up with did two years in a state prison for selling cocaine. He started lifting when we were young, 15 or 16. Often in jail he wouldn't even have access to weights. They did tons of pull-ups - different styles and rep schemes - cause that's all they could do.

He's around 180, 5'9". Not that big but he looks thick and is strong as ****. He BB curls with 135 - for reps and sets. His other lifts are strong too.

That's pretty cool about your f-in-law. I'm a biochemistry major. I figure by the time I know how to make synthetic horomones in my basement I'll actually be ready to use them. I'm joking. But I'm not.

Coke: So true.
    Last edited by Rex; 08-30-2005 at 05:48 PM.

Hey man, your deads are climbing. Keep at it and they'll climb more. Persistance is rewarded when it comes to moving heavy ****ing ****.

I agree, deads are coming along nicely. Even though that 265 feels like the absolute heaviest you can do, next week you'll pull ten more pounds. Deads are funny that way. I wish bench was like that!

When you start making hormones, I'll be ready to use them...I'm joking. No, really I'm joking. I think. Yeah, I am..
    Last edited by Patz; 08-30-2005 at 08:23 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

Hey, at 155 that dead number is looking pretty solid, I think.

I'd take the hormones. I am not joking.

Mint
    Flat Bench
    warm-up: 65 x 12, 85 x 8, 105 x 5, 115 x 3
    work:
    140 x 4
    130 x 6
    140 x 3
    130 x 5 ---- 2410
    Comments: Brought my grip in a bit hoping it would take some of the stress off my shoulders. I knew the consequence would be a slight decrease in strength, but I'm pleased to say the strain on my shoulders was signifigantly less. That's a huge positive.

Incline Bench
    120 x 4
    115 x 7
    115 x 5 ---- 1860
    Comments: Again, strength down but no pain. That's a good thing.

Total Work: 4270

Diet perfect, sleep good. All's good in the hood. I wish I was pressing 245 for 4 instead of 145 for four but that's life. I'm enjoying the process. You win some, you lose some. As long as you win more than you lose you'll be alright. I feel as if I traded short term strength for long term shoulder health. It's good.

MM: Actually my deads are going down! ****ing sucks. I figure I've got another year or two before I'm going to seriously consider usage. Until then I'm just going to continue to eat and lift. I'll sleep every now and again too.

Patrick: I just realized I said your F-in-Law....lol. No kidding about benching!

Why cut? What's your BF% at (roughly)? You could get so big quickly by working out like this and upping calories, and you'd probably be able to cut afterwards.

Past couple of sessions were good although you felt your deads were subpar...all is well, just stay on track bro.

Mint
    Pull-Ups
    BW x 10
    BW x 8
    BW x 7 ---- 25
    Comments: Nada.

Barbell Rows
    165 x 10
    165 x 10
    165 x 8 ---- 4620
    Comments: I really can't believe how easily and quickly I'm making gains with this. 165 x 10. TWICE. That's a big time PR... reps, work, weight. Next week I'll row with 170.

Dumbell Rows
    77 x 8
    77 x 7 ---- 1155
    Comments: Progress. As in I progressively hate these.

Total work: 5800

Diet perfect, sleep good. Today was a strong session, and strong sessions make me happy. I still can't ****ing believe the progress rowing w/the bb. It's almost too easy. Grip was the weak link, the bar actually slipped out of my hand during the second set. Somehow I managed to catch the bar before it hit the ground and powered out another two reps! Not exactly beast worthy... maybe gremlin... menancing skinny guy?

MM: BF is somewhere around 11 - 13. Somehow I forgot to mention that I've been in calorie surplus as of Monday. So the bulk has begun! As to me getting big quickly... God bless you for even suggesting it Mike. :-)

Coke: You're absolutely right Coke. It's all good, Just got to keep doing what I'm doing. Thanks man.

There you go, showing me up on the BB rows.

Bulk away! Add LBM and it will burn through more calories, and you'll see a bigger, leaner, meaner you. IMO, though, I think you might add a couple more sets; but I'm a volume junkie, so do whatever gives you results.