Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Skinny

Hybrid View

Mint

Skinny

I've decided to start up a public journal. I don't know why. Maybe it's ego; or maybe itís a pathetic cry for help. Or maybe its just to get some advice and talk about weightlifting.

I'm 27, 5'10" 155 pounds. I started lifting in September 2004. So I've been at it for 10 months now. I'm skinny and weak but have come along way. This is just the beginning. Or the beginning of the beginning.

My entire life Iíve been bone thin. Iíve always had an extremely poor appitite and bad eating habits. Iím talking a meal a day, sometimes I wouldnít even eat. When I started lifting I weighed 125 pounds.... At 26. At 5'10". You have to travel to Africa to find people that skinny.

Ten months and 30 pounds later here I am. And I ainít gonna stop until the man in the mirror has got enough. I figure that means 180 pounds at my current body fat level.

Iíll get some pics up in here shortly; and Iíve got a ton of crap to blather about. Currently I lift five days a week sticking to very low volume routine of compound movements. Typical workout is under 45 minutes. Diet is the key to success. This journal really is to show skinny guys that its possible. And this is how you do it.

This is just an introduction. The real journal begins after July 4.

Heh, I was there once. Then I ate more.

Mint
    After a festive fourth of July weekend celebrating my countries glorious independence from the British ****** I realize I live for one thing and one thing alone:

Arm day. I live for the pump.
    DB Curls
    32 x 7
    27 x 9
    25 x 10 ---- 717
    Comments: First time curling w/32 pounds. Continued good progress. Next week I'll bump up the third set to 27 pounds.

Extensions
    20 x 8
    20 x 7
    20 x 7 ---- 440
    Comments: very flat. Progress is extremely slow with this movement.

BB Curls
    60 x 8.5
    55 x 9 ---- 975
    Comments: Only my fourth week doing them! Puts stress on my toothpicks. Not the muscle, feels like the actual bone. Not pain, stress. Whatever doesn't break my toothpicks will only make them stronger. And milk does a body a whole lot of good.

Bench Dips
    75 x 11
    75 x 10
    75 x 9 ---- 2250
    Comments: Continued good progress on this movement. My goal is 30 reps within 3 sets. Next week I'll dip with 80 pounds on my lap.

Total Work: 4302

Diet fine, sleep good. I got a prank call while typing this. It's either my ex-girlfriend, my current-girlfriend or the CIA. I can never actually tell.

Plan on dieting down until I waste away. Actually, since February I've eaten to "maintain". The results have been excellent - an inch off my stomach with strength increases on all my lifts and no loss of muscle mass. My natural inclination is to be thin and undereat. Abs are starting to show + recently acquired muscle mass = skinny guy with abs and small muscles.

I'll stay the course until Sept and then resume the bulk.

Tomorrow is "get big and strong day".

Wannabebig Member
    Congrats on gaining 30 pounds. Keep up the good work man.

Mint
    Fatal, thanks man.

Today was "get big and strong" day at the gym. Some people call it deadlift day. And others call it arm day.

I call it deadlift day. Deads and other misc work - abs (leglifts, twists, yawn) and rotator cuff junk. I used to do overhead presses on this day too but my left shoulder is probably ****ing ****ed.

Deadlifts
    warmup: w/overhand grip
    95 x 10
    115 x 8
    155 x 5
    185 x 3
    work: w/mixed grip
    225 x 10
    235 x 7
    235 x 7 ---- 5540
    comments: 225 x 10 went up easy, still had gas in the tank for at least one more. Faltering grip and wobbly legs on set two. Third set felt good. Could have repped out another rep. Focused on using more hip and leg drive, less back. Good results. Next week I'll start with 235. Going to pull 240 for 10 before the month is through.

Total work: 5540

Diet ok, sleep could have been better. All three dogs decided that they NEED water at 6 o'****ingclock in the morning. Apparently its important that they drink water daily?

Done.

Interesting journal -- really like the "voice" there. Keep working at it; I went from 165 at 6'2"+ to ~194 at sub 10% bodyfat. It can be done, and it, is, sweet.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Mint
    MM: Thanks man. And by interesting you mean completely strange? I like the voice too, I wish it would stop talking to me.

Today: chest day.

Flat Bench
    warm-up: 65 x 12, 85 x 8, 105 x 5, 115 x 3
    work:
    135 x 7
    125 x 9.5
    135 x 4
    125 x 7 ---- 3547
    Comments: I wanted 125 x 10. I'm going have to wait until next week. Very satisfied with todays progress. I can feel 140 calling out to me. At the begining of the year I set a goal for bench. 175 for at least three. 35 pounds in five months...

Incline Bench
    115 x 9
    115 x 8
    115 x 6 ---- 2645
    Comments: Nice.

Total Work: 6192

Diet fine, sleep good. My shoulders are all banged up and benching probably aint helping them. Played Basketball today for a couple of hours. Shins are banged up too. No problem - sprinting on Sunday.

Wannabebig Member
    Very nice man. Incline bench looks great.

Mint
    Fatal! Thanks bro! Never in my life did I think anyone would ever say my incline bench looks great!

I slacked off a bit these past days. Skipped my scheduled back day on Friday and never made up for it. No legs either. At least I sprinted a bit on Sunday.

Today was Arm day. I wish every day was arm day. Sometimes I have to yell at the people squating in the curl rack. WTF?

DB Curls
    32 x 8
    27 x 9
    27 x 7 ---- 688
    Comments: Decrease in total work but I'm satisfied with my progress. 32 x 8!

Extensions
    20 x 8
    20 x 8
    20 x 7 ---- 460
    Comments: This movement is such a struggle. Gains are slow in coming. Good improvement this week in reps and work.

BB Curls
    60 x 8
    60 x 6.5 ---- 870
    Comments: **** you barbell curls.

Bench Dips
    80 x 10
    80 x 8.5
    80 x 8 ---- 2120
    Comments: These are starting to get hard. And they're also starting to hurt my left shoulder... a nagging pain that just won't go away. Maybe I'll cut these out and do close grip bench instead.

Total Work: 4138

Diet good, sleep good. Total work down from last week. Still I'm satisfied with the effort. The gains will come, need to stay the course.

I want to lift hard throughout the remainder of the month and then take a week off. Tomorrow is dead day, hoping for 240 x 10...

Got myself a nice digital scale over the weekend. Welcome to the 20th century Rex.

Mint
    Holy diminishing deadlift gains latman!

Today was get big and strong day. No, not arm day you damn curl monkeys.

Deadlifts!
    95 x 10
    115 x 8
    155 x 5
    185 x 3
    235 x 5
    235 x 5
    235 x 5
    255 x 3
    275 x 1 ---- 4565
    comments: WTF happened? I'm not sure. Probably mental. Pulled 275 x 1 with the smoothness. I'm going to be repping 300 by January.

Total Work: 4565

Diet good, sleep was the suck. Godforsakenhellhounds. I'm going to spike their ****ing waterbowl.

In other news, I purchased Mell Siff's Supertraining today. I'm looking forward to receiving it. And then applying none of its principals to my training. Cause the only thing I got to worry about after ten months and 155 pounds is consistency, patience and food. Everything else is just inconsequential nonsense.

Time to eat.
    Last edited by Rex; 07-12-2005 at 07:27 PM.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

nice deads.

you may want to begin warming up at 1 pps instead of 95. I used to do that btw, until someone with a lot of sense took me under his wing (for a couple of seconds).

oh, and have some

Stash
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Mint
    Stash, thanks man. I like starting with 95. The plates are smaller so I get a bigger range of motion and more of a stretch. When my worksets increase a bit more I'm gonna have to bump up the warmup though.

mmmmm spam.

mmmmm calories.

Wannabebig Member
    Nice back work man.

Rex..I have slightly laughed out loud 5-6 times from the beginning of this journal, which means I shall continue to read it as long as you continue to be funny.

For the record, there is one other person as skinny as you were--my brother. 6'2, 138.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Mint
    mrelwooddowd, you find my journal funny? Funny how? Does my journal amuse you? Do my lifts make you laugh? Funny how? What the **** is so funny about my journal?

Maybe its just the way I tell the story. Anyway.

I haven't updated this sucker in a few days. I haven't stopped lifting, though some of you might wish that I had. Actually, I've learned a valuable lesson. Apparently if one does not pay their internet service provider, then that internet service provider will stop providing service. Apparently.

Strangely enough, this concept of "pay for service" is also valid for cable TV and phone service.

And apparently the mafia does not care whether or not you have a Wannabebig journal to update. Journal to update? **** you, pay me.

So Monday was Arm Day

DB Curls
    32 x 7
    27 x 10
    27 x 8 ---- 710
    Comments: 27 x 10 means next week the second set will be with 30 pounds. Satisfied with todays curling.

Extensions
    20 x 9
    20 x 8
    20 x 7 ---- 480
    Comments: 20 x 9!!! Hurah. Give me gains or give me death.

BB Curls
    60 x 10
    60 x 7 ---- 1020
    Comments: Nice. Next week I'll curl w/65.

Bench Dips
    80 x 12
    80 x 11
    80 x 9 ---- 2560
    Comments: 32 reps in 3 sets. Nice. Next week I'll dip w/85. Shoulder didn't feel so bad today either.

Total Work: 4770

Diet: who the hell knows, Sleep: I have dogs.

Felt run down heading in to this workout but I really surprised myself with substantial progress.

Mint
    Tuesday was deadlifts and other junk never to be spoken of.

Deadlifts
    95 x 10
    115 x 8
    155 x 5
    185 x 3
    235 x 7
    235 x 6
    235 x 6 ---- 4465
    Comments: Displeased with today's lifting. I think it might be time to increase the weight I use during my warm-up. 235 should go up allot easier than it is. Just two sessions previous I did 235 x 7 for my second and third sets. I'm certain its the warm-up.

Total work: 4465

Diet, I remember to be allot of calories, sleep = dogs so I never know.

Warm-up for next week will go something like this: 115 x 10, 155 x 8, 185 x 5, 215 x 3.

Mint
    Flat Bench
    work:
    135 x 7
    125 x 8.5
    135 x 4
    125 x 8 ---- 3547
    Comments: Dissapointed. I've been stuck pressing the same weight going on 8 weeks now. I know I could be making faster gains. I really need to think this through.

Incline Bench
    115 x 8.5
    115 x 7
    115 x 5 ---- 2358
    Comments: Wow. Everything is down. One more week until break, I think I might need it.

Total Work: 5905

Diet good, sleep could be better than worse. Pretty much done reading Siff's supertraining. Allot of interesting stuff in there.

Trying to determine why progress in the bench has stalled. Something is being "overtrained", to the point where adaptation is not occurring. Maybe I need to cut down on Bench volume.

Progress with tricep movement has always been slow. Maybe the strength gained from one-arm extensions is only specific to that particular movement and not carrying over to the bench press. I think I'm going to change it up a bit after the break. Maybe try close grip bench.

But that would end up increasing total benching volume... Too much thinking.

Mint
    Pull-Ups
    BW x 9
    BW x 6.5
    BW x 5.5 ---- 21
    Comments: My forearms are definitely my weak link with this exercise. My buddy was telling me to go with a wider grip. Currently I'm pulling with a shoulder width grip, pronated. I like the forearm work but really want to hit my lats harder. I've heard that the wide grip really isn't good for the rotator cuff. I think I'm going to try them anyway.

Barbell Rows
    155 x 8
    155 x 9
    155 x 7.5 ---- 3798
    Comments: Nice. Some strong rowing going on here. The bar hit the bench during the first set which threw off my rhythm. 155 x 9 (!) on my second set.

Dumbell Rows
    72 x 9
    72 x 7.5 ---- 1188
    Comments: I hate these but they work. 72 x 9 !

Total work: 5007

Diet fine, sleep fine. Just as I was getting down and figuring the gas is out of the tank I go and have another strong back day.

Fatal: Thanks bro. My buddy does sets with 135 ! He curls what I bench. :-)

Wannabebig Member
    Your curls are progressing nicely.

Nice reuse of the "Goodfellas" line...

I think you're doing too many warmup reps for bench, and causing fatigue that you don't notice. If I benched what you did, I would do about 15 reps with the bar, and go to my work sets. Actually, I'd go with 10 very slow reps at wide grip, and 10 at close grip (to loosen up the tri's). I do 20 rep warmups like this with 65 currently, and it's worked quite well. I then jump right to 135, or whatever my first work set will be.
    Last edited by Patz; 07-23-2005 at 10:19 PM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Mint
    I'm really doing all that warmup in order to prep the nervous system. In my opinion the 115 x 3 is currently the most important warmup set and kinda what I'm working up to. It's just enough weight to give a nice jolt to my small frame, but not enough reps to cause any noticable fatigue.

Initially all those warmup reps did cause some kind of noticable fatigue but my body adapted to that very quickly. It's all about preparing the body for heavy loads.

I'm thinking that I might have too many working sets - 7 total. Too much of something. Maybe it is the warmup. If anything I more inclined to cut out the 65 x 12! I'll check your journal to see what you're doing.

------

No legs again. It's been ages since I last did squats. Sprinted on Friday and again today, basketball yesterday.. that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Mint
    DB Curls
    32 x 8
    30 x 8
    27 x 9 ---- 739
    Comments: Work PR and a happy pimp. I mean pump. Did I say pimp?

Extensions
    20 x 9
    20 x 8
    20 x 7 ---- 480
    Comments: No change from last week and that's the status quo with this one. These were tough today.

BB Curls
    65 x 8
    60 x 6.5 ---- 910
    Comments: 65 x 8 is decent. 60 x 6.5 is indecent.

Bench Dips
    85 x 13
    85 x 11
    85 x 9 ---- 2805
    Comments: Nice. Work PR, Weight and rep PR. Time for 90 pounds - two plates!

Total Work: 4934

Diet fine, sleep fine. I'm trying to lose weight. Skinny fat guy is on a cut. My nice new shiny digital scale told me that I'm 149.6 this morning, naked, with an empty bladder. It should be illegal for a guy this skinny to cut, but I want to get my waist down to 31 inches before my next bulk. I started with a 31 inch waist and want to get back to that.

Not counting cals or anything.

Feeling tired mentally, and I look like ****. Fo rizzle.

Happy and a bit surprised with todays gains. My upcoming break is much needed. Dreading tomorrows deadlifts. Gonna try for 240 x 10.

Mint
    Deadlifts
    115 x 10
    155 x 8
    185 x 5
    215 x 3
    240 x 10
    Comments: Mentally weak today. Got my 240 x 10 but it was more like sets of 1 with ten second rest intervals. Finished for the day by the tenth. My back feels beat on. The week off will do my body and mind a bit of good.

Total Work: 2400

Diet fine, sleep fine. Did todays deads with the new warmup routine. I like it. Wierd feeling in my upper outer left ass. Yes, I said ass. It feels like something popped out of place. Felt it during the 215 x 3, which kinda scared me for the work sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex
    It should be illegal for a guy this skinny to cut...
    Dude, it is illegal. Bulk, bulk, bulk away...
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Mint
    Flat Bench
    work:
    135 x 6
    130 x 7
    135 x 3.5
    125 x 7 ---- 3068
    Comments: Another week without any gains. I should be pressing 140 already.

Incline Bench
    115 x 9
    115 x 7
    115 x 6 ---- 2530
    Comments: Again, a real struggle. I should have hit 115 x 10 weeks ago.

Close Grip Bench Press
    65 x 12
    75 x 12 ---- 1680
    Commments: Decided to try something a little different. First time ever incorporating this movement into my routine. These two sets were extremely light. Next time I'll begin with 85.

Total Work: 5498

Diet poor, sleep ok. Could have ate more than I did today. My back is banged up, there's slight discomfort. I'm hesitant to call it pain... Don't want to dignify it. Tomorrows back day and then I'm taking a much needed break.