Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Skinny

Quote Originally Posted by Rex
    It should be illegal for a guy this skinny to cut...
    Dude, it is illegal. Bulk, bulk, bulk away...
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Mint
    Flat Bench
    warm-up: 65 x 12, 85 x 8, 105 x 5, 115 x 3
    work:
    135 x 6
    130 x 7
    135 x 3.5
    125 x 7 ---- 3068
    Comments: Another week without any gains. I should be pressing 140 already.

Incline Bench
    115 x 9
    115 x 7
    115 x 6 ---- 2530
    Comments: Again, a real struggle. I should have hit 115 x 10 weeks ago.

Close Grip Bench Press
    65 x 12
    75 x 12 ---- 1680
    Commments: Decided to try something a little different. First time ever incorporating this movement into my routine. These two sets were extremely light. Next time I'll begin with 85.

Total Work: 5498

Diet poor, sleep ok. Could have ate more than I did today. My back is banged up, there's slight discomfort. I'm hesitant to call it pain... Don't want to dignify it. Tomorrows back day and then I'm taking a much needed break.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

Mint
    Overview of progress @ one year mark

Approaching the one year mark; I'm 23 pounds heavier while being considerably thinner. In the past year I've probably put on twenty pounds of pure muscle mass. I've successfully dieted to gain weight, I've successfully dieted to lose weight. Iíve learned allot about lifting, dieting and my body. I feel ready mentally and physically for massive growth.

I weighed in this morning at 148.2 and the tape measure around my waste says 31 inches. I estimate my bodyfat percentage to be around 11%. I've got a decent four pack for the first time since age 12.

Current Routine

Ok, got my weeks rest and today I resume training. And by training I mean arm day. All day, every day.

No seriously.

Iím sticking to the same basic routine with some small modifications.

1. Arm Day - replacing extensions w/close grip bench press; replacing DB curls w/ hammer curls
    rational: I hope that close grip will help improve my flat bench, plus itís a compound lift and more efficient. Hammer curls will allow me to move more weight while hitting the forearms harder. I hope improved forearm strength carries over to other lifts.

2. Shoulders - resume military presses
    rational: My left shoulder feels pretty good and my shoulders could use the direct work.

3. Deadlifts - My back still doesnít feel right so Iím going to lay off deadlifts. In the meantime Iím going to make Tuesdays ďCrazy Pull-up DayĒ. Iím going to do fourty-five minutes of pull-ups working various grips, weighted and body weight, with three to four minute rest between each set. Will resume DLing asap.

4. Diet - diet down to 145 then maintain until September. At that time I'll resume my bulk. I'll start counting calories again next Monday.

Year End Goals
    - 165 x 3 Bench Press
    - 300 x 3 Deadlift
    - 200 x 3 BB Row
    - 160 bodyweight

Mint
    Hammer Curls
    30 x 11
    32 x 8
    32 x 6 ---- 778
    Comments: First time ever doing these. First set really surprised me. Next week I'll start with 32.

Close Grip Bench Press
    85 x 12
    95 x 12
    100 x 8 ---- 2960
    Comments: Second time doing these. Next week I'll start with 100.

BB Curls
    65 x 10
    70 x 4 ---- 930
    Comments: 65 x 10 good. 70 x 4 bad. Next week I'll start with 70.

Bench Dips
    90 x 11
    90 x 4
    90 x 9.5 ---- 2205
    Comments: Minor mishap during the second set when the chair came out from underneath me.

Total Work: 6873

Diet good, sleep good. Good session overall, laying the foundation. I like doing close grip bench and I'm really excited to see if it helps jump start my bench. Hammers really do work the forearm and that's just what I wanted. Pleased with today's workout.

Got a new job to help pay my way through school. I start tomorrow. Delivering pizza. Yay.

Mint
    "Crazy pull-up day" turned out to be less than crazy. More like "Mundane pull-up day".

Well, not exactly mundane, but certainly not crazy. How about...

"Above average volume pull-up day"

10 x 4
    10 x 4
    10 x 4
    10 x 4
    5 x 5
    5 x 4.5
    5 x 4
    BW x 6
    BW x 6
    BW x 5.5
    Comments: first time ever doing weighted pull-ups and they were harder than I thought they would be. Tried to avoid failure as much as possible. I feel like I should really be able to bang these things out but I'm not. Frustrating it is.

Diet poor, sleep good. I like pull-ups and feel as if I should be doing more of them w/various grips and weight. Lots of potential for strength and growth there. I'll think of something.

Felt like a complete ******* when I walk into the pizzeria today only to learn that I DO NOT have a job. Delivering pizza. *******s. Now the real question: Why is a 27 year old guy still in school, delivering pizza?

On above average volume pull-up day?

Mint
    Flat Bench
    work:
    135 x 5
    125 x 10
    135 x 4
    130 x 5 ---- 3115
    Comments: The break did me some good and I'm happy with were my bench is at. Hit 125 x 10 which was a long time in coming goal. Overall work was decent and strength isn't off by much. Time to bump up the heavy set to 140. WOO to the mother****ing T.

Incline Bench
    115 x 10
    115 x 7
    115 x 6.5 ---- 2703
    Comments: Very pleased with todays effort immediately following the break. Work is right where it should be and strength is A-OK. 115 x 10 means next week I'll start with 120.

Total Work: 5818

Diet ok, sleep ok. Shoulder felt fine going into todays session but after the first set of inclines it felt a bit funny. Like a nerve is being compressed? Who the **** knows. I'll see how it feel tomorrow.

Glorious DOMS throughout my bicep and front deltiods from Mondays workout. Strangely enough I feel nothing from crazy pull-up day other than a slight soreness in my outer pectoral.

My ass feels allot better, still not a hundred percent. Tomorrows back day. More pull-ups, rows and aint a damn thing changed.

I heard a pizza man in NYC can make 50 g's...

And why IS a 27 year-old still in school, and delivering pizza?

*wonders if I'll be delivering pizza when I start back to college soon*

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Mint
    Pull-Ups
    BW x 8
    BW x 7
    BW x 6 ---- 21
    Comments: Pretty pleased since I still had some gas in the tank. I probably could have squeezed out another rep or two between the three sets but I'm trying hard not to take these to failure.

Barbell Rows
    155 x 10
    160 x 7
    160 x 6 ---- 3630
    Comments: Grip was slipping during sets two and three. 155 x 10 ! Really happy about this. My BB row has went up forty pounds since April.

Dumbell Rows
    72 x 9
    72 x 6.5 ---- 1116
    Comments: I still hate these.

Total work: 4767

Diet fine, sleep fine. This was my first day doing back in a while and my strength is right where it should be. 155 x 10 and I feel ****ing great. Maybe tomorrow I'll squat. Though that just might be the lifters high talking. Or the smoking crack on back day high. Well, whatever it is, maybe it'll last until tomorrow, exert its ****ing influence and make me man the **** up and squat. Or maybe not.

Hey Patrick! I guess you can make 100/day clean pretty easily. But really that's not much here in NYC. Everything is expensive.

Still in school and delivering pizza... boy, that's a long boring story. The gist of it is that I made a career change "late" in life. It's pretty embarrassing - not really - (but slightly) to be delivering pizza at my age (our age) but you gotta do what you gotta do and I guess what it comes down to is, "It's how a nigga eat".

meh..I'm seriously pondering a career change myself. At the very least a job change, and really only to de-stress my life. I'm considering nutrition. At this point, I just don't see that living like a college student (financially) is that bad a thing, although it'd be quite a hit in the ole wallet.

Your barbell rows are strong. I think I lift more than you on most things, but your rows are up as high as I had mine before the cut..

5/3/1 Journal

Mint
    Alright. Today I grabbed my testes and did what I've been dreading:

I squated in the curl rack.

And not just any ole regular kind of squat, but quad busting, back breaking, ass to the grass, calf to the hamstring squating for champions.

ATF Squats
    95 x 12
    135 x 10
    145 x 10
    155 x 10
    Comments: I haven't squated in a four months and I really didn't want to ever again. But I know that if I want to get big I need to put the bar on my shoulders... Ass to the calfs, nice and easy. I'm just glad I did them.

Diet fine, sleep mediocre. Felt good to squat again, even if it wasn't all that serious. Get the heart racing and legs burning. Almost makes me forget why I dread them....

Patrick: Living "like" a student is a HUGE hit on the wallet. And that could be a ton of stress too, depending upon how much of a hit you take, and how important being a consumer is to you.

Thanks on the BB Rows. I don't know why but I'm able to row the same weight as people that are allot stronger than me. I personally suspect that sometimes people just don't hit their back as heavy as they should. I just try to go as heavy as possible.

Good squattin..lots of reps in there..

The funny thing about this stress is, aside form my marriage stuff, it's all money related. Now, my job creates quite a bit of it as well, but most of my stress is the result of not being a pro-active person. It ends up screwing me financially, and I have a great job. I crave a simple, bill-free existence.

debt is teh suxorz..

5/3/1 Journal

Mint
    Hammer Curls
    32 x 11
    32 x 9
    32 x 8 ---- 896
    Comments: Wow. Really surprised by this progress. A strong three sets. Next week I'll rep with 35... and I could probably get away with 37.

Close Grip Bench Press
    100 x 12
    105 x 10
    105 x 8 ---- 3090
    Comments: I like this movement a whole lot. Pumping up my arms and shoulders with this one. Nice and easy, next week I'll start with 105.

BB Curls
    70 x 9
    70 x 6 ---- 1050
    Comments: Pretty strong. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Bench Dips
    90 x 9
    90 x 9
    90 x 7 ---- 2250
    Comments: Two plates on my lap. This is getting unwieldy.

Total Work: 7286

Diet ok, sleep ok. Strong session today, it's a good way to start off the week. Made gains in every movement, and this is while in a calorie deficit. Hopefully this will continue throughout the rest of the week and cycle.

I started counting cals again in anticipation of the bulk I'll begin come September. Just want to know where I'm at and get everything dialed in correctly this way I can hit the ground running on Sept 1.
    I'm at 148 as of this morning. I'm still cutting but I'm not going to allow myself to fall below 145. I want to hit 160 by Jan.

My ass still doesn't feel right. I guess tomorrow will be the sequel to above average volume pull-up day.

Where did you get this "total work" scheme from? It seems like a decent way to keep track of progress from session to session.

I loves me some CGBP as well. It really blasts the tri's..

5/3/1 Journal

Mint
    I'm not exactely sure where this "work" scheme originates. It's out there. I've most recently read about it in Mell Siff's book, "Supertraining". In the book he refers to it as volume, but it's something I've been calculating for a while now and just call it work.

Weight multiplied by reps gives the work for the set. Add it all up - the product of each set - and you get total work. The data might be useful to analyze per set, per exercise or per session.

You can also divide work by reps and get the average weight used per rep. I do this too in my handwriten log. It's another way to track progress. Siff refers to this as intensity. It's also useful in helping to correct for high rep sets that can skewer the work calculation.

I'm a big fan of data. The more the merrier. And you can do allot of cool things by calculating work and intensity.

Mint
    Above average volume pull-up day

10 x 5
    10 x 5
    10 x 5
    5 x 5
    5 x 5
    5 x 5
    BW x 6
    BW x 5
    BW x 5
    Comments: Forearms are pretty fatigued from todays session. Decent improvement from last week but I'm far from satisfied. Mentally I'm banging these out with two plates strapped to my back. In reality I'm struggling with ten pounds.

Diet good, sleep ok.

I really wish I could Deadlift.

Maybe next Tuesday.

Are you still sorta cutting, or have you seen the logic of deh bulk? Nice looking pullup session.

Mint
    I'm still "sorta cutting". That's perfect terminology, cause that's exactly what I'm doing. Sorta cutting. A not terribly serious don't care about the results half assed cut. Really my main goal until the end of the month is just to count cals so that I know where I stand. Come September Iíll begin the bulk. Iíd like to put on 15 pounds by January. That equates to a pound a week over four months.

Mint
    Flat Bench
    work:
    140 x 3
    130 x 7
    140 x 3
    130 x 5 ---- 2400
    Comments: 140 for a triple. Not too shabby. I need to add 25 pounds to that ****er by Jan. It's taken me practically a year to get to 140... Still not even pressing my bodyweight! Todays session really put strain on my shoulders, elbows and triceps.

Incline Bench
    120 x 6
    115 x 7
    115 x 6 ---- 2215
    Comments: Was hoping to get more out of the two sets for 115. I was hurting from the flat bench. I feel good things happened today. Just got to rest up now.

Total Work: 4615

Diet fine, sleep good. Big decrease in work this session. That's typical though since work tends to go down as intensity goes up. All in all I'm satisfied. Now I know where I stand working with the higher weight. I expect some gains next week. ****, I expect gains every damn session.

Tomorrow is back day and it's business as usual.

Good-lookin bench numbers. Benching your bodyweight is a big rep for sure. I can pretty much do mine, and it took me from last September (started benching 120) to get to this point.

Why don't you deadlift? Did I miss something?

5/3/1 Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Rex
    ... All in all I'm satisfied. Now I know where I stand working with the higher weight. I expect some gains next week. ****, I expect gains every damn session. Tomorrow is back day and it's business as usual.
    That is the way, be optimistic with your goals - ...take care of business and expect them gains to come!!

Rex, it took me a while to bench my own weight. Stick with it -- it'll come and go and you'll have bigger fish to fry.

Mint
    Pull-Ups
    BW x 8
    BW x 8
    BW x 7 ---- 23
    Comments: I guess above average pull-up day is paying off cause today I managed a work PR of two entire reps. That's above average gains.

Barbell Rows
    160 x 7
    160 x 7
    160 x 8 ---- 3520
    Comments: I was a little intimidated before the first set. But once I got going it wasn't all that heavy. Like last week it wasn't my back that gave out but my grip. The bar just kept slipping out of my right hand. 160 x 8 (!) on my third set before the bar slipped...

Dumbell Rows
    72 x 10
    72 x 8 ---- 1296
    Comments: 72 x 10 (!). Next week I'll start w/77. I still hate these though.

Total work: 4839

Diet good, sleep good. Nice session today. Tomorrow I squat.

MM, Coke: Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Patrick: I think I pulled a muscle about a month ago. I'm waiting for it to be a 100% before I start DL'ing again. In the meantime I've been doing 'above average volume pull-up day'. I think I might give DL's a go this Tuesday.

I covet your barbell rows..

5/3/1 Journal

Split not bad, giving a day for each body part is a great idea...damn good back session bro.

Mint
    Hammer Curls
    35 x 12
    35 x 10
    35 x 8 ---- 1050
    Comments: Another great session. I really killed these. Next week I'll curl with 37, even though I could go heavier. Just taking it nice and easy, I ain't trying to burn myself out too soon.

Close Grip Bench Press
    105 x 12
    110 x 12
    115 x 7 ---- 3385
    Comments: Three weeks, three strong sessions. That's what I'm talking about. Still trying to find my correct work weight for this movement, next week I'll start at 115.

BB Curls
    70 x 10
    70 x 6 ---- 1120
    Comments: More PR's. Nice. Next week I'll start with 75.

Bench Dips
    90 x 11
    90 x 10
    90 x 9 ---- 2700
    Comments: 90 x 30 over three sets. Next week I'll dip with 95.

Total Work: 8255

Diet fine, sleep ok. Tremendous arm session today. Set PR's on every exercise in terms of weight, reps, work, ect... Just awesome.

Counted cals all last week. I averaged 2, 020 cals a day, 172 grams of Protein/day... Body weight this morning was 147... Down a pound. I'm just going to continue doing what I'm doing until September, than I'm actively putting on mass. 160 by January. That's my mantra. I can actually feel it.

I want to take up Oly Lifting. I found a gym in Queens and I'm going to head over there ASAP to see what it's all about.

Patrick: I covet your squat, bench and deadlift! But thanks for the props man.
    Coke: Thanks for stopping by bro. Advice and suggestions are always welcome.