Thread: Treadmill vs. Track

Wannabebig Member

Treadmill vs. Track

I've read several articles on the web and have concluded that, obviously, running on a track burn more calories. My question is..would setting an incline on the treadmill balance the energy usage out?

I've always read you should incline your treadmill 1.5 to 2% to mimic outdoor running. There's also a tendancy for a lot of long time treadmill runners to lift their legs as opposed to pushing their legs while running. I perfer out door, but my knees just can't take it so it's the treadmill for me.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    And I prefer the A/C...as opposed to either 105 degree "Dry heat" (ca)
    or 90 degree 90% humidity(fl)
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatred
    And I prefer the A/C...as opposed to either 105 degree "Dry heat" (ca)
    or 90 degree 90% humidity(fl)
    Where in CA do you run? And I prefer the sun to the indoors plus when I want to run fast, treadmills are absolutely out of the question. I don't know about the humidity in Florida but if it's a really hot day in San Diego then I just do my run during the late afternoon.

Not everyone has that luxury though, I have a lot of free time.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Sacramento Valley. I don't run outside; If I collapse and die I want it to be in one place so people can find me.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Welcome To Jamrock!!!! bIgHwN86's Avatar
    i believe that setting the incline would help out with the energy expenditure problem...IMHO i love running on the treadmill to the outdoors b/c it is easier on my knees, the only thing that keeps me running outdoors is that i can burn more calories and when i start to feel the burn i can yell and push myself w/out scaring anyone....try doing that on a treadmill and see what will happen

3:16
    Quote Originally Posted by l3x
    I've read several articles on the web and have concluded that, obviously, running on a track burn more calories. My question is..would setting an incline on the treadmill balance the energy usage out?
    depends on the incline and effecient you are at running.

Personally i can just run faster outside. But if on a treadmill its easier to keep track of how many kcals, speed you go.

buy some ankle weights if you want to burn more kcal while running flat.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Quote Originally Posted by body
    buy some ankle weights if you want to burn more kcal while running flat.
    ankle weights will eventually damage your knees.. or so they say

and i would rather run on a track. to me it doesnt seem like the numbers on a treadmill are always correct such as the amount of calories being burnt and also the distance that i've run. to me running on a track is also easier cuz i always feel like i'm gonna trip and bust my ass when i'm runnin on a treadmill its also easier to run at your own pace and speeds whereas on a treadmill you cant speed up and slow down as easy
    Last edited by dblockspky; 07-04-2005 at 09:31 PM.

I would rather run out side simply for the reason of not getting bored running in one spot.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

I wannabebig!
    i rather just not run

:withstupi
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

B+D+S = 1 Massive Mofo
    If you dont like running substitute it for a sport related activity. I must agree though, running is horrible. As far as treadmil vs outdoors, I believe running is running if your heartbeat is high then the results should be the same. I would personally run outside if I had to...
    Past (4Jul05) | Present (22Nov05)
    Weight - 205 | 217
    BF - 26% | 22%
    Max Bench - 230| 295
    Max Dead - 240 | 275
    Max Squat - 240 | 315
    Total: [710] | [885]

the amount of calories you burn is in direct proportion to how hard you work. Yeah, a treadmill will burn slightly less calories than a track but there are a lot of easy ways to change that. I personally prefer to run outside (on the streets) just because even running on a track bores me. With that said it's probably the worst thing for your ankles and feet. Tredmill would be the best option from a purely health point of view just because they will absorb shock and prevent injurys (come to think of it I don't think I've ever once rolled my ankle or seen a single person roll one on a tredmill either, probably because there is something to hold on to).

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I'd prefer to do Sprint Intervals on the grass outdoors.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

I've actually been walking the last few days on my treadmill.... walking as fast as I possibly can without jogging and then cranking the incline all the way up. It's easy to slack at this, but if you really push yourself I've found I can get just as hot sweaty and out of breath as running... but you'v ereally go tto be pushing yourself on the speed.