The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Abdominal/oblique shape/size & measurements

Hi guys, I just signed up here, and I'm itching to ask a question?

I haven't been working out very long, but genetically I'm quite big (and have quite low bodyfat).

The first question I'm going to ask is how would one go about achieving this type of abdominal shape (the bits I've circled), because I have cut abs, but no matter how I try I still can't get that "T" shape.

My second question is how does one go about measuring my arms/shoulders/chest etc. I measured my arms last night (38cm), but I gave up after that because I had no idea how to correctly measure chest, legs etc.

I'm 16 btw, and I weigh in at 81kg exactly.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by soul71
    The first question I'm going to ask is how would one go about achieving this type of abdominal shape (the bits I've circled), because I have cut abs, but no matter how I try I still can't get that "T" shape.

My second question is how does one go about measuring my arms/shoulders/chest etc. I measured my arms last night (38cm), but I gave up after that because I had no idea how to correctly measure chest, legs etc.

I'm 16 btw, and I weigh in at 81kg exactly.
    First of all you're going to have to be a little more specific about the "t shape" idea. If you can see your abs as well as you can see the Blade Trinity dude's abs then might not have much luck if you're trying to change the shape of your abs... genetics are genetics and you're not going to be able to change the shape of your abs and obliques.

As for measuring stuff, I find that the best way to do this is to go by circumference. ie for chest wrap it around your entire body all at the same height (like nipple height or whatever), arms is same thing, pick a spot and wrap the tape around. Same with legs. Shoulders would be more difficult but maybe wrapping the tape around your arm at it's highest point (ie in through the armpit and up around). I can't think of a more practical way to do it but of course some muscles will be harder to measure than others.

The best thing to do in my opinion is to also take pictures to compare with later.

BTW I'd like to say something about your weight but my head doesn't convert kg-lbs past 12 in the morning (it's 12:33 here).

thats 178

178.5 to be precise

im just over 6ft

My abs are defined, but not as "big" as his? Or so it seems. Like my whole abdominal area appears alot flatter. I'll take some pics sooner or later, when I can borrow my friends camera.
    Last edited by soul71; 07-03-2005 at 01:38 AM.

Yeah well I suppose if your abs aren't as big then you can start doing ab exercises more in the hypertrophic range to start getting them bigger. Even I'm a bit hesitant to say what that range is for abs since a lot of people on this board say that they like to do over 12 reps a set for abs which, to me, for any other muscle (since abs really aren't different than other muscles in this respect) would not cause big gains in muscle size. The only other thing I could think of with regards to that is maybe your body fat % is higher than his but you said that you were lean so I suppose that doesn't make sense.

But yeah in general it's difficult (I'll refrain from saying "impossible" due to technicalities) to actually change the actual shape (not meaning size) of a particular muscle.

I know what you are talking about though how his stick out more, they stick out a sh!tload so I guess he's just doing abs in the right range for hypertrophy. We could ask him but I don't think he'd answer us LOL.

And by the way you'll probably not get answers to your questions for like 6 hours or so because in the states it is night time. I assume you might not be in the same time zone since you're using kgs (not that people don't use them in our time zones but the majority of countries that use them aren't in our time zones.

Yeah, I'm from Australia

Thanks alot for your help though, it's nice to know where to start

bump