The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,151

    Nice abbs but not weighted sets

    I got in a huge beef (with two guys actually, but different subjects) on other message boards. And it pissed me off that both times I was proven wrong. The second argument I'm more worried about (and yes, it's on a jpop forum board; I go there to ask questions about Japan and such because I'm moving there soon). I told the people intrested in this forum post that to get big abbs they need to do heavy-weighted sets, but then some guy buts in and tells everyone that, "Oh hey guys, nut uh. PhilsterT is full of crap. Do high amount of reps for the abbs because it will make them aesthetically pleasing. If you do weighted sets than you will have blockey and ugly abbs." I was like, "No man, you're wrong." He of course posts his picture, and of course, he's ****in' ripped. So...is all this croack wrong? Can you do high repition?

    http://jpopmusic.com/forums/viewtopi...2001&start=240

    (It's like halfway down the page on page 17.)

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Just watch me ... Built's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,912
    Well hell, why do a few sets of weighted crunches once or twice a week when I could just WALK (for an hour and a half a day...)

  4. #3
    Wrecker of Homes d'Anconia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    5,974
    Yeah I think the whole high-reps for nice abs myth is one of the most prominant ones out there. It sucks that the guy is ripped LOL but you know how people are, if a guy is well-built then everything he says is fact. It doesn't matter, let him work out how he wants and let the groundlings work out how they want and when they don't get results they'll feel stupid and you'll just be ripped.

  5. #4
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    I'm a cali kid
    Posts
    5,297
    Lol...you can't determine what shape your abs are going to become by what kind of ab exercises you do. And just because he's ripped doesn't mean he knows jack. Just like how you sometimes see huge guys in the gym who go 1/8 of an inch down when they squat. Phil, you are right don't worry about that guy. Listen to Built...she can show you some pics too. Heh.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

    Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

  6. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,175
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    . And just because he's ripped doesn't mean he knows jack(_of_all).
    yeh, ive never once met this guy...

    i would hope someone who has been bodybuilding for as long as he did would have a bigger chest than that, what a douchebag... hes full of it but abs are really more about the bf% than the exercise. high reps or low reps you still wind up with abs if you have low bf and do some form of exercise, i would say though that you are MORE right than him.

  7. #6
    still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    0
    Phil you are right to a point. To increase size do weighted crunches etc.
    but to be able to see them your diet and cardio are hte key factors.
    One of my favorite Built-ism's is : ":Abs are made in the kitchen"
    I'll remember it till I die.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

  8. #7
    Just watch me ... Built's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    9,912
    This one's my favourite:

    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaMonkeyMagic
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT
    3 sets of 8: Weighted chrunchs
    3 sets of 8: Weighted situps
    no way... that makes your midsection BIGGER by making your ab muscles larger. 4 sets of 25 crunches 3 times a week... and diet diet diet and cardio for those abs.

    Don't give yourself a blocky midsection by adding weight to ab exercises.



    Quote Originally Posted by PhilsterT
    I would also suggest backing away from steriods but I know many people teaking Creatine who are fine. I wouldn't suggest taking it unless you're an extreme lifter.
    I hate Creatine. I cycled it on and off for 8 years. water water water...

    glutamine, flaxseed oil... whey... better IMO. Actually, I'd say some roid cycles are much safer than Creatine. lol
    What a tool.

  9. #8
    eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    I'm a cali kid
    Posts
    5,297
    If he wants small balls, let him think steroids are safer than creatine.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

    Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,151
    Thanks for the responses. I just hate getting in beefs with people. It's not often that I find people who know what they're doing too a certain extenet. I of course can't post my picture because I'm in my bulk and no one will believe me.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •