The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

feedback on balancing food/cardio/bulking

Hello

I am relatively new to this site, but I have worked out for a number of periods during the last 11-12 years (god, has it been that long?!) with varying degrees of commitment and success. About 3-4 months ago I started up again, and was on a cut for the duration of that time. I did pretty well, and lost some unwanted body fat. Now I'm ready to start building. I have changed my routine around significantly to work muscles twice a week instead of once each. (I'm on a 2 day rotation, and work out 4 days per week.) Monday-pushing (abs-chest-shoulders-triceps-legs) Tuesday-pulling (abs-back-biceps-forearms) Wednesday-repeat monday, Thursday-repeat tuesday, etc...

Anyway, a part of my daily routine consists of a significant amount of cardio. Designed for the cut. Pre-workout cardio consists of 30 minutes of running (5-6miles) and then post-workout cardio consists of 30 minutes of running/jogging (5 miles).

Now, building up (punn) to my question. Now that I am switching over to start building. I am trying to eat more. I use fitday, and it says I am using 4300+cal per day, and then I've read if you want to build you should be eating 500 more calories per day than you're burning. So that means 4800cal per day. I honestly can't fathom eating that much, and it is a real struggle for me. I feel like it's just too much, and I must've done something wrong. I'm scared to get flabby and undo any progress that I've made. I guess I was looking for some reassurance that I'm not totally unrealistic with my numbers.

I was also considering cutting out my post-workout run to stop burning those calories which will not only save me 1/2 an hour a day, but reduce the volume of food that I seem to have to eat. My workout partner thinks this is a bad idea, and that I should keep up the running. I want to know what you guys think, is there something to it that I'm not seeing or is it as simple as it appears to be.

Oh yeah, I saw a recipe on here last week for homemade protein bars made primarily with peanut butter, and I think they were about 1000cal each bar. I tried to search for them again and I haven't turned anything up, I keep getting an error with the search function throughout the past 2 days;

(Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 1024 bytes) in /home/forums/public_html/search.php on line 839)

so if anyone has that recipe handy, and could paste it here that would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.

Todd.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Mint
    Here's the link to the recipe:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=63562

4300 cal/day would be allot for my body. But everyone's energy requirements are different. Age, activity levels, LBM, ect... are all factors that effect equation.

The most accurate way to determine your base level is to just eat normally over the course of two weeks, tracking your daily calorie intake (via labels, fitday and weight). The daily average over that two week period is your maintainance. Then adjust accordingly.

Mint
    Also that's a heck of allot of jogging! Jogging is an aerobic activity and will eventually result in the break down of muscle mass. Cardio is great but 11 miles a day basically equates to endurance training....

Cut back on the cardio period. It's important for cardiovascular health but too much is detrimental to muscle gain. Maybe you should consider sprinting.

Nasaan ang unggoy? bigsethmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet_kid
    Pre-workout cardio consists of 30 minutes of running (5-6miles)
    I'd definitely drop the pre-workout jogging if you want to gain.

:withstupi
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Hey there

Ditch the pre-workout cardio. Itís actually counterproductive to fat burning OR muscle building.

Post is fine, but pre is a no-no.

Weight loss is mainly diet anyway. Lifting convinces your body to toss fat rather than muscle. Cardio lets you eat a little more while you do this, but thatís it.

Try leaving your food alone but ditching the cardio entirely. That might be enough for now. If you donít gain enough, add in some more calories.

What are your macronutrients looking like now, and whatís your pre and post workout nutrition like?

Would there be a difference between cutting the pre-workout jogging and the post-workout jogging. I probably enjoy the one after the workout the least.

Edit: HA! You answered my question before I asked it, woooh, creepy.
    Last edited by Ricochet_kid; 07-06-2005 at 11:51 AM.

You donít like the post workout cardio because thatís the one where you are actually burning fat. The pre workout cardio was burning off the blood sugar and glycogen that you SHOULD have been using for your lifting.

Donít be surprised if you actually lean out MORE by ditching the pre-workout cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Hey there

What are your macronutrients looking like now, and whatís your pre and post workout nutrition like?
    I am still struggling with a sustainable set of ratios, I try and get more than 200grams of protein a day from various sources, cottage cheese, egg-whites, protein powder, and canned chicken. I also try and keep my calories from fat percentage below 18%, and I eat >7 meals per day.

(as much as I'd love to be able to eat tuna, I have developed a strong dislike for it recently and can't bare to eat it.)

As far as immediately around my workout:

I drink a protein shake about 45min before my workout, usually with some 0% yogurt, and some fruit, then another protein shake before I leave the gym. Then I eat my last meal about 1hour after that (also 1 hour before bed), it is usually 1/2 can of chicken on an english muffin with mustard.

Built, I saw a post of your's the other day about eating right before bed, and I'd never heard of that before. I am learning alot by reading the posts on here. I always thought that was bad for you, but I never really thought about it critically.
    I also read the following sentence, while reading on wbb the other day, 'fat doesn't make you fat' and it really threw a monkey wrench into my understanding of macronutrient ratios.

I certainly have alot to learn I guess.

I hope I gave you the info you were asking about Built. Thanks for asking.

What is the general opinion about these articles:
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...sseating_1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet_kid
    I am still struggling with a sustainable set of ratios, I try and get more than 200grams of protein a day from various sources, cottage cheese, egg-whites, protein powder, and canned chicken. I also try and keep my calories from fat percentage below 18%, and I eat >7 meals per day.

(as much as I'd love to be able to eat tuna, I have developed a strong dislike for it recently and can't bare to eat it.)

As far as immediately around my workout:

I drink a protein shake about 45min before my workout, usually with some 0% yogurt, and some fruit, then another protein shake before I leave the gym. Then I eat my last meal about 1hour after that (also 1 hour before bed), it is usually 1/2 can of chicken on an english muffin with mustard.

Built, I saw a post of your's the other day about eating right before bed, and I'd never heard of that before. I am learning alot by reading the posts on here. I always thought that was bad for you, but I never really thought about it critically.
    I also read the following sentence, while reading on wbb the other day, 'fat doesn't make you fat' and it really threw a monkey wrench into my understanding of macronutrient ratios.

I certainly have alot to learn I guess.

I hope I gave you the info you were asking about Built. Thanks for asking.

What is the general opinion about these articles:
    http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/...sseating_1.htm
    Your pre and post workout nutrition look fine. I'm hoping you have dextrose and or maltodextrin in your post workout shake.

The ratios mean exactly NOTHING. I prefer to keep my fats considerably higher, and target my carbs around my lifting. I use macronutrient timing to my advantage.

Take a look at the link in my sig. I have my diet algorithm pretty much spelled out there. PM me if you have any questions.

And I generally like Berardi's ideas on nutrition very much.

oh jeese, just for the record, I meant to only put 5-6 miles total in my initial post. Not 5-6 before and also after. I don't think it makes a difference with the advice though, but I mistyped it.

You'd have to run 12mph to do 6 miles in 30 min. You'd have to be the 6million dollar man or something. I can hear the eighties music now...

sorry bout that.